Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A power question that i have been meening to ask!!

Last response: in Components
May 6, 2010 4:17:54 AM

hello all, this is a question about weather my computer is safe to continue to run.

this is my rig (and yes im aware that its in the sig, but may as well re post)

motherboard ex58 ud4p
memory ddr3 1600mhz (not sure what it runs at though when not over clocked)
cpu core 17 920 at stock speed (2.66 i believe)
graphics 2 5870's
hdd 600 odd GB
have apx 6-8 120mm fans running.

power supply is 850w from thermaltake (toughpower)

over clocked, I run the CPU at 3.7GHZ and Memory at apx 1500mhz

is my power supply safe to use or should i upgrade it to a higher power supply. computer runs quite hot and heard that insufficient power can cause heat. also noticed that the fans slow down some times (RPM sometimes drop)

supply is about 2 years old

edit: graphics cards are both highly over clocked when in use. graphic corruption can sometimes be noticed, WHEN NOT OVERCLOCKED!!!! and moderately clocked. nothing 2 bad, just little white and green squares every now and then.

also use quite a few USB items, like HDD and g35 headset.

More about : power question meening

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 6, 2010 5:12:15 AM

Hi.

This are the system requirements for the 5870

ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

The recommended PSU is for the entire system.

Ur current PSU is more that enough but if u want upgrade to a new one u can go with this Antec 650W or this Antec 750W both PSUs meets ur requirements.
a b ) Power supply
May 6, 2010 5:40:10 AM

Your PSU should be enough for those cards and OCed processor :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 92 ) Power supply
May 6, 2010 6:19:42 AM

If you have an OCed CPU and two OCed GPUs, I wouldn't look to the PSU as a source of heat. The causes are the CPU and GPUs. Upgrade the cooling on them if you need to. I'd also dial the OC down on the GPUs if you are getting graphical errors.
m
l
May 6, 2010 7:55:02 AM

thanks guys helped lots, now of to play bad company 2!!
m
l
May 6, 2010 7:56:39 AM

Best answer selected by heroofspirits.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 6, 2010 4:43:09 PM

I would assume that you used a program to monitor your Voltages and they are OK.

But if not. Do so. Monitor your voltages (I use CPUID HWMonitor) while running Prime95, or furmark (in a window). Although the wattage ratings on PSU is fine, that is no quarrenty that the voltages uner load are. Min for +5 is +4.75, and for +12 V is 11.4 (Spec - Personally I prefer no lower than 11.6V)
m
l
!