Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Stress testing

Last response: in Overclocking
December 18, 2012 6:02:23 AM

Hello,

I've been overclocking my 3570k@ 4.5ghz 1.170v in bios(shows 1.152 in idle and 1.144v or 1.136v underload in CPU-Z) and been stress testing it to see if it's completely stable. I've done 13 hours of prime95 small fft so far and it passed it no problem. Right after that I gamed with it for the rest of the day after that with no power down. I figured it was stable. Then I tried LinX stress test. I did a 50 minutes run using 6gb of memory 20 cycles. Passed it. My problem is that during LinX the frequency changes from 4.5ghz and fluctuates 4.1ghz-4.4ghz on CPU-Z and realtemp 3.70. My temperatures don't go above 67 C on the hottest core.

Is my overclock stable? Is it natural for LinX to lower cpu frequencies?

System Specs:

MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz CPU
Crucial m4 256gb Storage
MSI gtx 670 PE GPU
Corsair H100 Cooler
Patriot 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 viper extreme 3 RAM
Corsair ax650 PSU

More about : stress testing

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 8:13:00 AM

Your temps look good. Is your overclock a turbo overclock? I have my 2500K overclocked by changing the multiplier to 45. I've never seen it downclock itself. If you don't get any blue screens then don't worry about it.
Related resources
December 18, 2012 9:57:37 PM

Intel burn test is similar to LinX as they are both Linpack stress tests, so I'm going to assume similar results. I don't get downclocking in anything besides in Linpack stress test. My overclock is not a turbo overclock. I just thought it was a strange anomaly that my cpu frequency only drops when doing Linpack calculations, and wondered if that happens with other people using Linpack.

Going to see if there's fluctuating frequency when running LinX @ stock.

Edit: running stock does not cause frequency to flunctuate.

It's stable to use and in prime, passes LinX, but frequencies fluncuates in LinX only.

What's the problem with my overclock?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 11:02:27 PM

Question, do you have a set of settings for Short Duration and Long duration power limits? I can almost assure you that there's a limit on the amount of power the board is going to allow that CPU to use. Probably around 100w or so at 4.5Ghz. When it's hitting the limit it will automatically drop the multiplier to keep within the power limitation. If you do have them, try stepping up 10 or 15w on the short and long power duration. I usually keep them about 10w apart. With short term it allows "spikes" of a certain value which my 2600k@4.4Ghz is set to 130 for short term and 125 for long term with a 1 second long term length. If I set it to 120 for short term it will drop my clock under IntelBurnTest as I'll be pulling 122W at full load. So check into that as that is what it sounds like is happening.
December 19, 2012 4:17:51 AM

Yeah, that was the problem. I went into BIOS and increased the power limits and it stopped having fluctuating frequency.

Thanks for the help.
December 19, 2012 4:18:19 AM

Best answer selected by Zedi123.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2012 8:31:06 AM

You're welcome! It's one of those small things not many look for. :) 
!