Home theater issues

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Home Theatre
  • Video
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2010 9:31:43 PM

So I built a home theater PC for my brother. I tested it for a month at home and then shipped it to my brother.

When I tried to install the computer I have no video on any outputs at any time. Prior to shipping the video and audio was over hdmi. After failing to get video over hdmi, I tested DVI and VGA and I still have no video and no error beeps at all. (Yes the speaker is installed.) All of the fans start and I can hear the hard drives, but no video.

Additionally, I have to use the power supply to turn off the PC. I can hold power button down for 5 minutes and nothing happens. The reset button does not appear to do anything either.

Specs are as follows
AMD Athlon II 245 regor
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
2 gigabyte Corsair RAM
Thermaltake 430watt power supply

I had a 250gb WD hard drive (Windows 7 Home installed) and a 640gb WD drive in the machine, and an LG sata optical drive, but I have removed all the drives during troubleshooting, and Bios still wont post to video.

Any ideas before I attempt to take it back?

More about : home theater issues

February 27, 2010 9:46:05 PM

I should also say that I tried to install another video card, and I got not video from the new video card either. I think the problem is the mother board at this point.

Any ideas?
m
l
February 28, 2010 2:35:31 AM

those symptoms have always indicated a memory problem for me...
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2010 10:35:02 AM

The memory I have is on the QVL for that board and I tried the memory in another computer and it seems to be fine.

I have read in some reviews on Newegg that this board requires a 500 watt power supply. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the direction of where this would be explained?

I have researched several of the 785g boards as replacements and I have found reviews of others having this same issue with nearly every board with this chipset.

Any comments or suggestions?
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:01:33 PM

Why not just try the 500 watt power supply to see if it works then. This would be an easy fix and might possibly solve the problem. Are you sure there is not something faulty with the video card though?

Bob | Orlando Home Theater Installation
m
l
!