Raid setup questions

nna2

Distinguished
Hi, so i have 2 drives, a 5900rpm 2tb hardrive, and a 80gb intel 320 series ssd

right now, i have the intel ssd as primary, and the hardrive as secondary (physically)

so i currently have them setup in a RAID0 setup, but between the 2 i can only use 160gb of space, which leaves 1900gb of unused space

so my question is, if i use "raid ready" or "JBOD" settings will i still see the good preformance i do in raid0?

You should NEVER RAID-0 a HDD and a SSD.

The performance of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds, which in this case would be your HDD. If your HDD has 100MB/s Read/Write speed, then in RAID-0 with a SSD you will get a maximum of 200MB/s, which is a waste of your SSD's capabilities.

The total capacity of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive with the smallest capacity.
So if you RAID a 80GB drive and a 2TB drive your total capacity will be 160GB (80GB x 2), not 2.08TB.

For maximum performance you should use identical drives when creating a RAID array.

Just use the SSD as your O/S drive and the HDD as your data/storage/backup drive.

nna2

Distinguished

ok, so should i use an AHCI controller, or 2 raid ready arrays :p

FireWire2

Distinguished
You need to answer these questions 1st:

Do I need redundant data storage?
Do I need a BIG volume data storage
Do I need FAST access t my data storage?
Do I need a high availability, high reliable data storage?

If any of those is YES, then look at RAID option... Otherwise don't look at RAID

Use just JBOD mode

BTW, there are MANY manufactures define JBOD as BIG/SPAN/LARGE (concatenation) mode

JBoD is Just a Bunch of Drives

I would stay away from these manufactures for the obvious. They don't even know hdd mode, how would they help us when come to raid issue?

nna2

Distinguished

i mentioned JBoD coz it was one of the options, after a gaming tourney im doing tonite im just gonna reinstall in AHCI mode