Help! computer cannot connect to internet through dlink di-808hv

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Computer connects to internet fine when plugged straight in to Comcast modem. When I connect Dlink DI-808HV router it connects and picks up correct IP address from modem, but no computers can access internet. I have tried all different cables and different ports, even hard resetting router, but something about router blocks computer from accessing internet except one brief occassion where it worked and was extremely slow, but even that was just the one exception.

G

Did you power cycle the cable modem before connecting it to the router? Cable modems "remember" the MAC address of the first device that connects to them.

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Yes. The PC's get the correct IP from the router's DHCP server. And, the router shows it is successfully connecting to the modem and picking up the correct IP address and gateway, etc... Note, I also tried using a Belkin F5D8230-4 but same exact problem. However, I can go back to my DIR-655 and it does work, but I was trying to replace the DIR-655 with the DI-808HV because I keep having major speed inconsistencies that are occasionally so severe that I can't even run a speedtest on speakeasy.net. Also, I have experimented using comcast's DNS servers and openDNS, but no differing effect. I have been all the through the DIR-655 to see if there is something set different, but aside from different features, everything seems to be set the same as I had the DI-808HV and Belkin. Any ideas?

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Did you power cycle the cable modem before connecting it to the router? Cable modems "remember" the MAC address of the first device that connects to them.

Yes... followed the ideal hard boot up scenario: cold modem boot, then after modem is fully booted up I cold boot up the router, after router is fully booted up I then cold boot up the computer. Also, please see my additional notes in my reply to "Ghislain G". Thank you.

What info does the router provide to your PCs when providing the IP address? From a PC, can you ping the router's Internet address? For example, if your PC has IP address 10.1.1.100 and your router's Internet IP address is 65.23.45.123, is a ping from 10.1.1.100 to 65.23.45.123 successful?

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

1. The info provided to the PC's seems typical. I am currently connected via the (highly problematic) DIR-655, but this is a typical "ipconfig /all" screenshot (personal data deleted or replaced for security reasons):

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : deleted for security reasons
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : deleted for security reasons

Ethernet adapter Internal NIC:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : deleted for security reasons
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : deleted for security reasons
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.x.x.xx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.x.x.x
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.x.x.x
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.x.x.x
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.x.x.x
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:22:23
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 10:14:07 PM

2. I'll have to plug that router back in and try pinging as you suggested. But, I do specifically recall not being able to ping any external (web) ip address but I'll do a specific test like you inquired, and will repost.

Thanks!

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Sorry for taking so long...
1. I had gone through the 3 ipconfig commands you listed countless times with all 3 routers, but with no success.
2. I also tried resetting winsock entries (netsh winsock reset catalog), and TCP/IP stack (netsh int ip reset reset.log) that I found posted elsewhere, but that did not help.
3. I also tried enabling NetBIOS for my NIC (under advanced properties) but that did not help.
4. Last night (and today) I got the DI-808HV kind of 10% working, where a web page would load partially but not finish or be competent enough for me click through to other links (i.e. google news for example). The only thing I can think may have possibly been a variable that caused it to even work at all is that I deleted every firewall rule, which were apparently in there by default configuration as I do not remeber ever making any firewall rules.
5. I tried the ping test you requested. I can ping the router's internet IP address as well as the router's LAN address. But, I cannot ping the gateway or the DNS servers.

Any other ideas?? Thanks again for the help!!

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Have you tried resetting the router back to factory settings or check for a firmware update?

Yes... all the above including a Hard reset of the router. My DIR-655 at least works, but I was trying to go back to my old DI-808HV because the DIR-655 frequently has very serious speed problems to the point of my browser(s) becoming completing throttled down so bad I cannot even get a speed test to load (at Speakeasy.net), or when it does come back the download speeds are less than what upload should be (i.e. 600k).

This doesn't make sense if the modem and line are fine. Does a ping from the router to a know Internet IP address work?

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

No. Can't seem to ping anything on the internet.

I agree, nothing seems to make sense. I would think it was strictly related to the DI-808HV but remember, I had the same problem when I tried the Belkin router. Perhaps its related to Comcast, but they won't even talk to me claiming that they just serve internet to the modem and from there any router or PC can use it... and they will not help troubleshoot anything, claiming it must be router related. FYI, both the DI-808HV and the Belkin were routers I used previously that worked fine with no issues. I only shelved them due to buying a newer router (FYI: I bought the new router(s) for reasons not related to the old router(s) I was replacing, meaning the old router(s) were working fine up until I replaced them... and I just kept them for backup such as in a case like this. Also don't forget, I did do a Hard reset on both the DI-8080HV and the Belkin so there should be nothing left in them related to their old programming that would cause this.).

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe I am better to change direction and try and get the DIR-655 working??

I had been wanting to go the DI-808HV for my main router and (hopefully) plug into it the DIR-655 (or Belkin) to then function (strictly) as an access point so I could just power off the wireless when not needed (since I don't always need wireless).

All routers have a ping (and sometimes a tracert) function. Does an Internet ping to a known IP address work from the router itself? If you ping your IP address from the Internet, does it work? If using a dynamic IP address, does the router acquire a valid IP address?

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

1. No, I am not able to ping and internet address from the router itself.
2. I have not been able to try pinging my address from the internet, but I have the router settings set to ignore WAN pings from the web. And, even if I changed that setting, I don't have a secondary way to test from another internet connected computer because this is the only internet connection I have and when the router is not working I have nothing else connected to the web from which I could initiate that test.
3. Yes, the router acquires an IP address from Comcast (same as when the internet works when using the DIR-655 or connecting PC directly to the modem); it also correctly picks up their DNS servers, but I have also tried manually inputting their servers as well as also trying OpenDNS servers as well.

If the router can't ping a known IP address on the Internet, e.g., 88.198.202.51, then something isn't configured correctly. Check the default Internet gateway. It has to be the correct address at your ISP. Also check the subnet mask; it should be 255.255.255.252 if you have a single IP address. If you are blocking ICMP, then it's difficult for your ISP to determine if you have routing issues. You might need to temporarily enable it for troubleshooting purposes.

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

1. I presume the gateway is the correct address from my ISP because it is the same gateway address as when also using the DIR-655 or connecting the PC direct to the modem.
2. When running “ipconfig /all” from the PC it shows the router’s LAN (DHCP server) address as the gateway (except for the times where I was troubleshooting and had the PC plugged directly into the modem); this configuration has always worked fine for me for years. But again, when looking at the router's status page it does show a Comcast IP for the gateway.
3. The subnet mask seems to consistently be the same regardless of router or PC plugged directly into the modem. But, I have noticed the router status page does not always have the same subnet, meaning for example, one time it is 255.255.252.0 and another time it is 255.255. 254.0 and so forth. I just assumed that Comcast rotated their IP addresses and subnets... Note, I am using a different subnet for my LAN, which is always different from the WAN subnet given by Comcast.
4. When you reference ICMP, it appears that the DI-808HV has this enabled under the default built-in unchangeable Firewall Rules List as “Allow Ping WAN port”. However, I remember in the past when I last used the DI-808HV, that I had installed a new rule (IDENT forwarding I think) that was recommended by ShieldsUp as a way to ignore responding to internet ping requests. BUT, when I did a Hard reset of the router, everything was reset to factory defaults and this rule was deleted… Also, is this the same thing as "Enable WAN Ping Respond" in my DIR-655?
5. Comcast tells me they won’t even look past their modem (to see if I have routing issues). They say their modem looks fine each time I call.

1. Don't presume. If your IP address is 100.100.100.102 and your mask is 255.255.252.0, then your gateway address should be in a network range that matches the mask values. I don't need your IP address, but knowing the last 2 for both the IP address and the gateway would definitely help, e.g., x.x.100.102 and x.x.100.1. Can you at least ping the WAN gateway from the router?

2. Why are you concerned by ipconfig /all? This has nothing to do with your WAN issue. If you don't see a Comcast IP for the gateway, how will you ever get to the Internet? Your router needs to know what host to talk to. Why did you say in #1 that you have the same gateway address as before? I'm confused.

3. I'm surprised they use mask 255.255.252.0 or 255.255. 254.0, but you're on cable and the connection is shared. Again we're not concerned by your LAN; the WAN is where you're having an issue.

4. Comcast can't determine if you have an issue if your router won't respond to pings.

5. They might be correct. It's up to you to prove them wrong.

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Thanks for your help...!
1. Are you saying that my LAN subnet and IP range should be in the same (public) range that my router gets from Comcast. Note, Comcast's modem is functioning as a DHCP server (and they claim they cannot turn that off), and my router is receiving (as a DHCP client) an IP address, DNS servers and a gateway address from the modem. But, my router which is also functioning as a DHCP server for my LAN, then issues my client PC an IP address and subnet in a totally different range AND also "tells" my PC that it (the router) is the gateway. FYI, the router is telling me it's IP address is 76.106.x.x address and that the default gateway is a different 76.106.x.x address, meaning only the x areas are different. But again, my router is issuing to my client PC a 10.x.x.x IP and completely different subnet. I don't know if I said this any better this time around, but if it should not be configured like this please let me know. I would not mind telling you the actual numbers if there was some way to message you directly, I just don't want to post my actual IP's and subnets on the web because I do not know what risk exposures that causes me.

2. When I refer to "ipconfig /all" I was just saying that no matter which router I have hooked up it always shows the gateway address as the router's (LAN DHCP server) address, but when logged into the router’s status page it seems to always show the same 76.x.x.x address for the gateway address. I did not write it down for each router, but it seems from memory to be the same (or VERY similar) gateway IP address. And, if I connect my PC directly to the modem and do an "ipconfig /all" it shows the 76.x.x.x gateway address as the router shows on its status page.

3. Perhaps the reason they are using that subnet mask is that the modem is issuing it to my router, meaning the modem (functioning as a DHCP server) is getting yet another (different unknown) gateway address or subnet from comcast? I worried that the issue could be caused by 2 layers of DHCP server (the modem plus my router) but comcast says they cannot turn off the DHCP server in their modem (i.e. put in bridge mode like for DSL modems). FYI, I can log into the modem for signal and stats, but it will not show many any IP addresses, just mac addresses.

4. Comcast was not even willing to look into whether or not I have a router issue because they say their modem looks fine.

Thanks again... I appreciate your help! If you have any more ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

1. Not at all. It definitely can't be in the same range as you'd never be able to access the Internet. You can send me a private message.

2. That's fine. If you connect your PC directly to the modem, I presume that you can ping the gateway?

3. You are correct. The modem doesn't have an IP address; the router does.

4. If everything works fine when you connect your PC to the modem, then Comcast are correct.

0409mail

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

OKAY... 3 SCENARIOS USED AND ATTEMPTED TODAY:

1. D-LINK DIR-655. This is the router I had been using for the last few weeks (new ISP account… just moved in) but was trying to replace by going back to the DI-808HV (which I had used a previously with a different ISP a couple years ago). I was trying to replace this router because of VERY serious speed and reliability issues. In using this router today, it has been working but the same problems continue, but I also newly noticed that a ping attempt to the 76.x.x.x gateway was inconsistent, meaning some came back with a reply and others came back timed out with losses ranging from 61% - 71% depending on how long I let the test run. I will send you a private message with the IP and subnet info for this scenario.

2. PC PLUGGED IN DIRECT TO MODEM. This works without problem, except that I do not have the additional (NAT) security and features available by being behind a router, which makes sharing the connection with my wife a problem on top of countless firewall pop-up messages that I do not get when behind router. I will send you a private message with the IP and subnet info for this scenario.

3. PLUGGED IN DI-808HV. Over the last several days this router has never worked except for some extremely brief episodes (like less than one minute and just enough to load Google News but not enough to load any link I click on). Typically, I could never ping any internet address from my client PC or the router, but in trying more methodically again today I discovered some interesting things. Today, I could ping the 76.x.x.x gateway, but when I tried pinging the router's 76.x.x.x IP address it would fail and then cause a subsequent test ping to the gateway to fail. I then tried pinging the ISP's DNS server and it worked, and then I could subsequently ping the gateway again. I was also able or not able to ping OpenDNS server as well in the same manner as just described, and I basically had the same success or failure from the client PC. Very strange; the simplest way to surmise the situation would be that if I first pinged the gateway and it succeeded, I could then ping the DNS servers (and also www.comcast.com) successfully, and vice versa. But, if I first pinged something that failed it would continue to fail no matter what I pinged, except I could keep trying the different DNS servers and gateway until something succeeded and then subsequent pings would follow suit with success. I will send you a private message with the IP and subnet info for this scenario.

I will send you a private message with the IP and subnet info. Thanks again!