Hello all:

I just finished my first system build with the following specs:

CM NV-690 Case,
Asus P6T Deluxe v2 mobo
Intel i7-930 @ 2.80 GHz
Dual ATI Radeon HD 5830
12GB Corsair Dominator memory
Xigmatek Dark Knight HSF

My idle temperatures are around 40 Celsius, which didn't concern me much, but under load (using prime95), I was getting temps of 78-79 Celsius. These temps are at stock speeds. I'm not planning on OC'ing anytime soon, but I may however in the future. I was just wondering if these load temps were normal, or should I consider reseating my xig because I'm reading people getting load temps of ~60c. I'm wondering if I have used too much AS5? I initially put only a pea size amount onto the cpu, but when I checked for the spread, the contact was minimal, so I used 3 thin lines with the method outlined in Proximon’s guide on to how to apply thermal past to Heatpipe Direct Touch (HDT) coolers but perhaps it was too much? I'd rather not have to reseat the heatsink if it's not necessary because it was a bit of a pain, but if it's worth it then I will. Thanks for the advice.

More about : temperature concerns

a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 4:56:17 AM

Hmm, it is a concern - how is the airflow in you case, and are you sure you set it right?
m
l
May 6, 2010 5:13:26 AM

airflow is pretty good, most of the cables are tucked away behind the mobo plate, some are still sticking out a bit because I'm using a Corsair TX850 for my PSU so it's pretty big and there's alot of wires to hide. Xig is mounted horizontally with air coming in the case from the front, through the xig and blown out the rear. I did mount an airflow fan ontop of my memory (it came as a package deal) which does sit close to HSF, but I didn't think it would block enough air to be significant? I will try to take a picture of the inside of the case tommorow and post it up incase airflow is the culprit.

With regards to setting, are you referring to the actual placement of the heatsink? or the cpu's settings in the BIOS? the heatsink and cpu were seated properly, placed straight down flush and gradually tightened. As for the BIOS settings, I wasn't 100% sure on what to change for the CPU, so I just left it on its defaults.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 5:59:23 AM

Sorry, I meant the heatsink. If you haven't touched the BIOS, it's fine. It really shouldn't go anywhere near high 70s at stock speeds. Only thing I can think off is the thermal paste - if you can, try reapplying just a small pea dot of AS5, there should be a very nice thin layer covering the CPU, which is how it's meant to be. Anymore is too much.
m
l
a c 235 à CPUs
May 6, 2010 6:25:27 PM

My son's "everyday" overclock profile is at 3.77 Ghz on a 920. At this OC, he's seeing full load P95 temps in the low to mid 50's.

AS5 takes about 200 hours to cure according to their web site and it has been reported that this equates to about 1 year of normal usage.

Here's a great article on Heat Sinks and testimhg methodology:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Here's some data on TIM's.

http://www.hwreviewlabs.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
May 7, 2010 2:16:34 AM

Lmeow said:
Hmm, it is a concern - how is the airflow in you case, and are you sure you set it right?

hey Lmeow, here's wat inside the case looks like, does the memory fan restrict the airflow to the heatsink that significantly?

if its nothing to worry about, I guess all the really leaves is the thermal compound. Just wanted to properly diagnose the problem before I go and try to fix another one.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
May 7, 2010 12:01:20 PM

Your CPU does not have a good source of cool air. The video cards block the airflow from the front fans. And it looks like the RAM cooler is masking the Xig.

Try removing the RAM cooler. Add an intake fan to the mounting in front of the PSU. And you can try mounting the PSU with the fan facing the interior of the case.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:07:46 AM

jsc said:
Your CPU does not have a good source of cool air. The video cards block the airflow from the front fans. And it looks like the RAM cooler is masking the Xig.

Try removing the RAM cooler. Add an intake fan to the mounting in front of the PSU. And you can try mounting the PSU with the fan facing the interior of the case.

I'll try removing the ram cooler and running some tests again. To add more airflow in the case, I was thinking about adding a 120mm fan to the bottom where the clip is, on the upper front (right of the picture, under cd drive) to blow air directly towards the HSF, as well as have another on the top rear of the case to aid in exhausting the hot air coming from the HSF. Do you think this is overkill, or will it only help?

I figure while I'm at it I might as well reseat the heatsink and apply less AS5 this time.
m
l
May 8, 2010 5:39:47 AM

after an hour and a half running prime 95, the max temp has reached 76c without the ram fan, so removing it did help airflow a bit, but clearly not enough.
m
l
!