Is it possible to change from a intel celeron to AMD

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Celeron
  • Intel
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2010 5:48:48 AM

I was wondering is it possible to go from a intel celeron to something like AMD?

More about : change intel celeron amd

a c 120 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 6, 2010 5:59:03 AM

Depends what you mean there man, if you mean putting an AMD proc into your existing intel socket, then no, your looking at a mobo/proc bundle as your intended purchase, see http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Sockets.htm for some of the confusion over sockets between intel and AMD, I hope that answers your question ok?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 6, 2010 6:01:15 AM

^+1. AMD and Intel CPUs use different architectures and sockets. Intel's current generation is pinless, LGA 1156 and 1366, while current AMD CPUs using socket AM3 use pins and would not physically fit into the socket, and would probably damage both components.
m
l
Related resources
a c 120 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 6, 2010 6:11:23 AM

I was going for the simples answer, I'm assuming ofc that I've deciphered the question correctly from the Op but thanks for the 'proper' kind of answer Lmeow, my nightshift brain couldnt quite put it across that way :) 
m
l
a c 160 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
May 6, 2010 10:27:05 AM

If you have an oem system (dell, hp, etc) then your windows operating system may not work with a new board from another manufacturer. The bios may have a code built in to let windows id it when booting.
m
l