Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer does not boot

Last response: in Motherboards
October 16, 2010 10:35:34 PM

My computer does not boot. This started this morning, when I realized that the power went out last night. That could be the cause of my problems.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D LE
Power Supply: 500W

When I press the power button, it turns on, makes the normal noise that it does when it turns on (brrrnnn...), and turns off within 3 seconds. Then, the computer (without any action my part) attempts to turn on again and the cycle repeats.

Here's the thing, if I unplug a 8 pin connector between the PSU and the mobo (it's labelled "EATX12V"), it seems to boot up fine, but nothing shows up on the screen. (So I'm assuming that it's necessary to make my computer work.)

I've tried plugging my computer into multiple power sources. That is not the problem. CMOS reset seems to fail.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to do? Should I get a new power supply? Or is it the problem with my mobo?

More about : computer boot

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 12:08:12 AM

I would start with the power supply. It could have taken a hit due to the power surge.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 12:15:50 AM

On some mobos, disconnecting the 8-pin power supply causes a reboot loop like you experience. But you are experiencing it only when the 8-pin connector is connected.

Despite your thinking the PC is booting up without the 8-pin plug connected, IMO the first suspect is still the psu. Swap a new PSU in.

If you buy rather than borrow, buy a good one. I notice you didn't give the make/model of your psu. Make sure you get a Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Antec with adequate power.
Related resources
October 17, 2010 12:36:12 AM

Ugh. I put in another power supply to test the problem, and it still failed to boot. Seems like my mobo is fried. Time for a RMA.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 12:44:29 AM

Reasonable step, though the problem could be vga card-to-monitor.
m
l
October 17, 2010 12:46:30 AM

Nah. If the problem was VGA to monitor, then it wouldn't attempt/fail to boot up with everything connected the way they should be.
m
l
October 17, 2010 12:46:43 AM

Best answer selected by rukqoa.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 12:48:47 AM

rukqoa said:
Nah. If the problem was VGA to monitor, then it wouldn't attempt/fail to boot up with everything connected the way they should be.
That's what I thought until I went through a 31-post debug where we fixed the problem by using a DVI-to-vga connector, and connecting the PC to the monitor's vga port instead of DVI. System booted up.

m
l
October 17, 2010 12:52:23 AM

lol. That would suck if I spent my entire afternoon with that problem.
Well I just checked. It's not. I wish it were. Now I'd have to go through all the hassle of a RMA.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 12:55:59 AM

Grats for checking - GL with the RMA.
m
l
!