Can't Enable Crossfire HD 5770's

opedus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I am at a loss and not sure where to turn. I have two Sapphire HD 5770's that I am trying to crossfire. Both devices are listed in the device manager and gpu-z. They both list in CCC 10.1 but the secondary is listed as disabled. I have them connected with two crossfire bridges and each does have the pcie power to them. Both cards work individually but I have no option to crossfire them or to enable the second card. Sapphire tech was basically no help. System specs are:

Asus M4A79XTD Evo mainboard
Athlon II x4 620
4 gb DDR3 OCZ Fatl1ty 1066
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (*2)
Diablotek 650 Watt Power supply
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

opedus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Didn't know there was a beta driver after 10.1. Will check into it. Do I need the hotfix from last October when the latest driver was just realeased at the end of January?

For some it made a difference for those who had the gray screen issue. Get gpu z or cpu z and check to see what is the pci-e configuration. 8x8, 16x8, 16x16 crossfire.

opedus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Will try that when I get home from the office and update. Sapphire's Tech's say it's the mainboard. I figured they would get around to saying that eventually though.

opedus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Sorry for the slow update. Got new home theater setup and have been occupied with that. The cards are running at an odd PCI-E speed. If just one card is in(in the master slot) it runs at 16X. If both cards are in the master slot runs at 8x and the secondary runs at 2X. Should be 8x8. Not sure if this is a new helpful clue or if it is just related to crossfire not functioning. I updated to Catalyst 10.2 as well.

To be honest I have had this issue my self and I think its the board but the only reason why I have yet to replace mine is due to the slot configuration and price. I some times have to put in my 6800gt then swap it out and if I don't the top slot will end up working with only 4X. However when there is two cards it for some reason works fine. That is why I am yet to get a second ATI card for crossifre even though I want to. Recently upgraded on my wifi box to a 3870 (a nice one) from a x1900xt that uses as much power as a 5850.

I doubt that it is any thing software related or any thing from the user. Mine is also a 790x board but older than yours. I got the infamous Gigabyte ga-ma790x-ds4.

opedus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
That sucks:p. May just have to run with one 5770. Luckily I acquired the second one at no cost through a work trade-off. So at the worst I won't be out the $180 dollars for it.

If you got any other cards on hand give them a try and since the pci-e switching is electrical you might be able to activate the 8x8 configuration.

opedus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Sorry for the delayed reply. Been a sys admin nightmare at the office, and one of my ddr3 modules crapped out so been trying to get an rma. I tried an nvidia 8400 in the secondary slot and the switch worked correctly. Set the hd 5770 in slot one to x8 and the 8400 to x8. They did release a new bios though. So I may have to wait until I can get back home and pop the second 5770 in to see if that made the difference. Don't see any reason why the 8400 would switch the speed correctly but the 5770 doesn't.