Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-X58A-UD3R & RAID - keeps rebooting during startup

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2010 12:49:50 AM

I have installed additional drives to setup a RAID 1 for data on my system. Everything is fine until I go into the BIOS and change the settings for "ICH SATA Control Mode" from IDE to RAID(XHD) per the motherboard manual. I save my BIOS changes and reboot, per the instructions it says to press CTRL-I after the memory post (I do see the screen says to press CTRL-I) but no matter what I do I can not get into the RAID BIOS Setup Utility. And when it gets to the OS boot (windows 7) it dies.

I assume the Windows problem is that fact I can not get into the RAID BIOS Setup Utility.

Addional info:
This is REV 1 of the motherboard with BIOS F4.
OS is booting off an Intel SSD port 0 (will not be part of the RAID) has been running fine for months.
Have additional drives on the control including the SSD.
Will only be using two drives on PORTs 2 & 3 on the control for the RAID 1.
Even with the new drives the system is fine until I set the BIOS to RAID(XHD).
I am using a wireless keyboard but have been able to get into the BIOS setup w/o problems so I don't see why I couldn't get into the RAID BIOS setup.

Thanks in advance
a c 105 V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 4:26:20 AM

Looking at your manual, I think it's the "L" key you need to press instead of the "I" key when it says to press "Ctrl-l."

I had a tough time setting up RAID 0 my self. Took me 4 try's, but I was a happy camper when I finally got it right.

EDIT: Correction here. Looking back over the manual, the correct Rev 1 this time, I see it clearly does say the "I" key. Oh well. Thought I was on to something.......

Maybe check and see in "integrated peripherals" if your USB keyboard function is enabled. That is if your wireless key board signal goes thru a USB.
October 17, 2010 6:41:08 AM

Thanks spooky2th, I enabled legacy support for UBS keyboard in the BIOS and I was able to get to the setup screen.

HELP - system keeps rebooting during windows startup!

Now I have verified that the windows reboot / failure is related to the BIOS setup screen. If I start my system with the "ICH SATA Control Mode" set to RAID(XHD) windows will reboot without getting to the login screen, reboots just after the windows animated logo for win7.

Saw some other threads on Rev 2 of this motherboard not being compatible with SSD & RAID, true for Rev 1 as well?

Any ideas? Missing drivers, BIOS upgrade, hardware problem, etc?

Thanks again
Related resources
October 17, 2010 5:12:17 PM

Wanted to see if it was a driver issue. So I downloaded the Intel SATA RAID Driver from the gigabyte website. I launch the driver installation program and it gives "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software" error. Amazing since this the driver for my motherboard.

Driver Details:

Intel SATA RAID Driver
Ver: 9.​6.​0.​1014
Date: 2010/09/03

Any ideas?
a c 105 V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 9:05:46 PM

So you were able to load windows? Did you load the RAID drivers before you installed windows? This is a must. Have you tried to re-load windows? Or do a repair of windows? This is about all I'd know to try. Maybe try tinkering with the RAID setup in bios? See what is set to boot. I always set my HD as the last boot device with CDROM first. Good luck!
October 17, 2010 10:27:35 PM

I have been running widows for 6 months on the system, so re-load not really an option. Also I am noting doing the RAID 0 for the OS, since the OS is on a SSD I'm happy. I'm trying to add a RAID 1 array for data (not OS). I should be able to add the drives post install.

Best solution

October 17, 2010 11:59:43 PM

if you are switching from ide mode to raid mode, you need to reinstall windows, or there is a workaround but is a PITA...it involves moving your hd to a dif controller and settingn the old controller as ahci then going into windows and installing ahci drivers then shutting down and putting hard drive back on original controller then starting up again
October 18, 2010 1:08:31 AM

Hard Line said:
if you are switching from ide mode to raid mode, you need to reinstall windows, or there is a workaround but is a PITA...it involves moving your hd to a dif controller and settingn the old controller as ahci then going into windows and installing ahci drivers then shutting down and putting hard drive back on original controller then starting up again

Just to make sure I understand. I'm running Windows 7 on a drive that will NEVER be part of RAID setup and I still have to re-install windows to get some of my data drives in RAID 1? That does not sound right at all.

Please confirm
October 18, 2010 2:53:18 AM

I misunderstood I was with the understanding that you were trying to connect your boot drive which is set up as ide mode using ahci even if you are not connecting it to the raid set. also this is assuming that all drives are on the same controller as well. ( both using sata controller) basically even if you do not want to raid your os drive, if you installed the os in ide mode and want to switch the controller to sata or raid, you do have to do that unless you switch controllers I ran into that issue a few months ago with my new build.
October 18, 2010 5:29:11 AM

Hard Line said:
I misunderstood I was with the understanding that you were trying to connect your boot drive which is set up as ide mode using ahci even if you are not connecting it to the raid set. also this is assuming that all drives are on the same controller as well. ( both using sata controller) basically even if you do not want to raid your os drive, if you installed the os in ide mode and want to switch the controller to sata or raid, you do have to do that unless you switch controllers I ran into that issue a few months ago with my new build.

Hard Line think I understand what you are saying. My OS drive can not be on the same controller as the RAID if my OS was not installed with the drivers used by RAID for that controller?

Here is what I have on the GA-X58A-UD3R:

ICH10R (Ports 0 - 5): has all drives including OS on an SSD & DVD drive, wanted to add RAID 1 here but I guess I can't from Hard Lines' comments
MARVELL (Ports 6 - 7): Sata3, will not use this controller for now
GIGABYTE (Ports 8 - 9): Not being used. But I could put my OS drive here or move the two drives that I want to be in RAID 1.

I'm going to assume the post from Hard Line was correct. There are three SATA controllers on the motherboard (ICH10R, GIGABYTE & MARVELL) The OS is on ICH10R which are Ports 0 - 5, can I move the drives on want to be in RAID 1 to the GIGABYTE controller (Ports 8 & 9) and set it up there without a re-install of the OS? Or could I move the OS drive to the GIGABYTE controller (what happends to the other drives an the DVD if I do this)?

Thanks for the feedback!
October 18, 2010 11:33:51 AM

yes you do understand what i am saying.. I have the exact same board ( you can see in my sig) and yes you are correct you can move the raid 0 to the gigabyte or marvell controller. however one thing i am not sure of, is if you can access the raid 1 set from a dif controller. ( never tried this) i know a raid 0 won't work on a different controller but maybe raid 1 is dif. hopefully someone with more knowledge of this aspect could answer that question
October 19, 2010 6:14:52 AM

Thanks to everyones feedback on not to run RAID 5 and on the problems on getting raid setup. Specifically to Hard Line and letting me know you have to install the RAID driver during the OS install if RAID will be on the same controller as the OS.

The end result is have I successfully installed RAID 1 on the Gigabyte Controller Ports 8 & 9 with out having to re-install the OS.

Thanks again
October 19, 2010 6:15:30 AM

Best answer selected by swtrader.
October 19, 2010 11:24:17 AM

thank you and glad we could help
!