Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading CPU/Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2010 2:01:30 AM

I'm getting rid of my AMD Phenom 9600 and installing the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb. I'm just wondering what steps need to be taken before installing and is it really easy to install? I've never changed a processor myself so this is my first time.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015332R/1015332Rnv.s...

That's my computer and I've already updated the Graphics card/PSU and now I'm looking to install this new CPU. I've heard that I need to do something with the BIOS? Anyways... some info on what to do or safety precautions before installing it would be wonderful.

I was told my current motherboard is crap and has very slow memory bus. I don't know what to do.

What else can I do? Can I buy another motherboard so the memory bus isn't crappy? I don't know much about this kind of stuff so please help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the help!
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 2:35:17 AM

You will first need to check with Gateway to make sure the BIOS support it. It is an OEM board so they are limited in things the can do (for a reason... To make you buy new :)  ).

Second, if supported, you will want to purchase some thermal compound to apply to the CPU after installing & before applying heat sink (clean before reinstalling). I recommend Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond for the thermal compound.

Third, you disconnect the PSU cable from the PC, hold the power button on for a few seconds to remove any power in the system, remove the heat sink, unclick the lever on the CPU socket (pull back to in up position) & remove the CPU. To install, do the process in reverse steps and reapply thermal compound before installing the heat sink.
m
l
October 17, 2010 2:54:09 AM

Thanks for the quick answer! Do I just call Gateway and ask them if it supports the processor? If it does... what would I have to do with the BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 17, 2010 3:37:30 AM

Yes... I would contact them & found if it does and what BIOS version. At that point, you download the latest version and flash your BIOS, as recommended by Gateway.
m
l
October 17, 2010 4:01:32 AM

Thank you! I'll call them tomorrow.
m
l
!