Huge performance issues with my Samsung 830

S_K_I

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2012
Long story short this is my Samsung 830 256GB drive I owned where suddenly the performance dropped dramatically. I am currently on my second SSD drive where the exact problem has occurred and have been unable to not only find a solution to the problem but finding people with similar experiences as me.

My specs: HP HDX9494NR laptop sata-II Windows 7 x64

To give you an example of whats going on here's some pics:
Before issues

After issues:

SMART data as of today

Unfortunately for me, since I'm what you would call a power user; I model in 3D and render quite often and I'm constantly writing huge amounts of data, meanwhile rendering scenes which can take up to a 30 minutes to 18 hours, and I'm playing extensive amount of video games, so there's very little time this drive has to go idle in order for the garbage cleaning mechanism to kick in.

And after 2 weeks my drive suddenly performed below sub-HDD speeds, boot times were taking 3-4x longer, programs and video games are also slow to load even after logging off windows to the login screen and letting it sit idle for 6 hours. Even re-booting to the bios screen to rule out any random excess writing done on the drive doesn't work. Finally towards the end, my whole system became unstable to the point where I could no longer open up a notepad without having to wait 10 seconds.....

Finally just decided to RMA it for a replacement, and this time I used my old Toshiba hard drive as a secondary drive to load all my mp3's, movies, and any files which require a lot of reading and writing so I could offload the pressure off my SSD. Additionally, after doing much more research I added all the necessary tweaks to maximize the performance of the drive.

trim is enabled.
disabled hibernation
turned off pagefile *and vice versa*
disabling the defragmenter
putting movies and games on the second hard drive to limit the read/writes done on ssd
leaving my computer idle 10 hours a week to allow garbage collection
secure erasing and installing a fresh copy
updated to latest firmware
disabled system restore
disabling prefetch and super fetch
over provisioned 10% of the drive
disabling pagefetch
making sure to enable AHCI

For 2½ months everything ran buttery smooth, and finally one day upon booting up my laptop, I immediately saw my loading screen take forever to load and I knew right away same problem was occurring again. At this point and time I have no idea what to do. I'm pretty tech savvy enough to research any problem I might have and fix it myself. I've always kept my drivers up to date, and never experienced any software issues with Windows. I even winded down my writing done on the drive when I work on my modelling projects to allow TRIM to kick and do its garbage cleaning, at least 10 hours a week minimum. Which brings me to the conclusion there is definitely a hardware defect going on, however I can't narrow it down as to what caused it or figure out a solution. There's only been on thread I've discovered where someone else experienced something similar to mine but they never figured it out.

link:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm&p=5016808&viewfull=1#post5016808

If anyone has any type of advice, even if I've already heard it before, go ahead, I'm all ears at this point and will take any sorta of suggestions for those who have it.....

Unfortunately consumer oriented solid state drives do not do much of anything for intensive 3D rendering or modelling. SSD performance degradation is common. That is why standard SATA hard disk drives are recommended. This is a situation where hard disk drives tend to be more reliable and a little faster than ssd's.

There are high end enterprise solutions but they are very very expensive.

S_K_I

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys, read that article and it was very insightful, but other than actually understanding the i/o done on the drive it still doesn't help me solve what's going on with my drive. I knew from the get go my best option was an intel 320 or the newer 520 drives but I can't afford those and it's simply beyond my budget. But good article none the less.