Maximum safe core temps for core i3?

Solution

Obviously Intel disagrees otherwise they wouldn't have made it 105C. But you have to remember that this is Tjunction Target and not Tjunction Max that you're actually reading from Core Temp. Tjunction Max ought to be the same or higher but it will vary slightly for each core. Tj Max variation plus sensor accuracy issues mean that unless you're running really hot there's only so much you can trust these things. After all, they were never meant to report accurate temps.

mmoeller

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I would assume the max core temperature is the TjMax used to calculate your core temperature. That is the point where the temperature delta value read from the core sensors reaches 0 and the CPU starts throttling. So a safe max core temperature would be around TjMax-20 °C or TjMax-30°C.

If you use the Open Hardware Monitor to read your core temperatures you can find the TjMax parameter used by double clicking on the core temperature sensors (or right click -> Parameters...).

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
It can't be 45-50'c because my cpu idles at these core temps.I am using core temp and it has tjmax set to 105'c but i think the max should be around 85 t0 90'c.
29038252.jpg

G

I think its 72°C coz 1 guy here found it for i5 I think it will be same. But U have too high temperature anyway. I have i3 530 like U and much higher frequency and lower degrees.
15403315.jpg

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
You need to bee more specific... Max core temperature refers to Tjunction Max, which is the temperature your processor will start to throttle down in order to avoid damage, somewhere around 100c. Your more than likely talking about max "safe" core temperature, which is in fact around 70c.

For 24/7 operation, I would recommend keeping under 60c-65c. Benchmark/stress test to 75 is ok. Other than that, your good to go.

randomizer

Champion

Obviously Intel disagrees otherwise they wouldn't have made it 105C. But you have to remember that this is Tjunction Target and not Tjunction Max that you're actually reading from Core Temp. Tjunction Max ought to be the same or higher but it will vary slightly for each core. Tj Max variation plus sensor accuracy issues mean that unless you're running really hot there's only so much you can trust these things. After all, they were never meant to report accurate temps.

Solution