Keep SSD active while idle HDD?

ohhgourami

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I run my OS and programs on my SSD while I store all docs, music, movies, etc on my HDD.

I have my power options set where my hard drives never turn off as it optimizes SSD performance, but the constant spinning of the HDD is audible which bugs me. Is there a way where I can keep my SSD constantly on and another option that only powers down my HDD?

SkyWalker1726

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
when u set " your hard drives to TURN OFF" in power setting, it will only affect ur IDLE drives after "x" minutes , and since u have ur OS on ur SSD it will never be "Idle" and never turned off but other drived that u might not use @ the time will be
it will also lower ur power Consumption , and longer ur HDD Lifespan ...

If your documents are on the HDD, then you can only access them while the HDD is spinning.

You could
1) Move the most-frequently used documents to the SSD. I do this. My HDD is spun down most of the time.
2) Buy a silencing enclosure for the HDD.
3) Stuff cotton in your ears.
4) Play headbanging music all the time.
5) Buy very long cords for your mouse and monitor and put the PC in another room.

I suspect that options 1 and 2 are the most practical.

ohhgourami

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I realized that the SSD doesn't turn off with that setting.

After I set the time for my HDD to turn off after idling, I hear it turn off but it revs back up immediately even though I don't think I'm accessing the HDD. Doesn't make sense.