Hard drive not regonized

devilhanzou

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I am having a problem with a Hitachi deskstar hds7250kla360, the hard drive I can feel is moving but when I plug it into a sata port and give it power either with the sata style power cable, or a molex, my Asus m4a78t-e mobo does not seem to see it. I was wondering if maybe there is somthing obvious I could be missing? I have taking my other one out tried this alon, it goes to a screen to detect hardware and never see's it, Ive tried diffrent programs, windows 7. multiple cables, any other ideas? The hard drive I have and the person I got it from its the first one he has sold in 8 years since he started thats gone bad he has no problem sending a new one, jsut seems odd I am this one delta when I can clearly tell its spinning? Also I tried updating mobo as well. Any help would be amazing

Solution
Okay, let's start by checking all the settings that could impact the SATA drive function:
Are you running XP with at least SP1?
Do you have the latest bios?
If those are pictures from your actual screen -- replace your bios battery (CR2032).
Leave all the drive selection choices on auto
Insure that the onchip SATA is set to enabled, and set the SATA type to IDE (you can worry about changing to AHCI later once it's working).
After checking those, does it show up in the bios?

If not, try a different sata port and sata cable.

RealBeast

Titan
Did you initialize then format the drive using Disk Management? Or does it not even show up in disk management? To get to DM: start button, right click computer, select manage, on left select disk management.

If you tried all that already, try a different sata data cable.

devilhanzou

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Ya I tried both those, and unfortuently no dice yet. In my Bios I have some diffrent menus I do not think I missed anything since Sata is supposed to be usually blug in power and mobo, turn on format and go. I attactched a couple pics from the two menus that might have somthing I missed the main, and the hard drive page. When you select a hard drive slot it has these options:
Type
LBA/large mode
block (multi sector transfer)
pio mode
dma mode
smart monitoring
32bit data transfer rate

I have googled most of it and its set to auto but just in case, also the M4a78t-e mobo has lots of screenshots online or I can take a picture if you need anything else

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/asus-m4a78t-e/bios_main.png

http://www.3dnews.ru/_imgdata/img/2009/03/13/asus/bios.jpg

RealBeast

Titan
Okay, let's start by checking all the settings that could impact the SATA drive function:
Are you running XP with at least SP1?
Do you have the latest bios?
If those are pictures from your actual screen -- replace your bios battery (CR2032).
Leave all the drive selection choices on auto
Insure that the onchip SATA is set to enabled, and set the SATA type to IDE (you can worry about changing to AHCI later once it's working).
After checking those, does it show up in the bios?

If not, try a different sata port and sata cable.

Solution