Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bad HD 5750 or PSU not enough?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 17, 2010 7:26:29 PM

I purchased a Sapphire Vapor-X HD5750 to replace my ATI x1300Pro. MSI MB has onboard graphics as well K8NGM2-FID.
PSU Mad Dog 525W.

When the HD 5750 is installed the pc will not post and no video signal. BIOS settings are set for non-quick boot and I should here a short beep after post prior to loading windows. I drives spin looks, HDD lights are on, but then go out and never hear a post beep.

Removing the HD 5750 and either powering on using the onboard or inserting the old X1300 PC will post with video and beep occurs.

Narrowed it down so I get video via component cables from my onboard video whether or not the X1300 is present or not. Without changing any BIOS settings..inserting the HD 5750 yields the no signal, no post result.

The fan on the HD5750 powers on and the Blue emblem on the side of the Vapor-X heat sink lights up. Though dims just after power up (is this normal due to load)?

Looking at the digital readout on my Back-ups unit...load display during boot appears similar whether the HD 5750 is inserted or not inserted. The highest number that it looks like it gets to is 240W...but is typically at 170-180W.

I am not certain if the new card is no good or if my PSU is not up to snuff. I plugged most of the items and then some in the calculator here: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power
and I see 342W. Now of course I wouldn't believe the Mad Dog PSU unit I purchased from CompUSA a few years ago is really 525W...but I am inclined to think it should be enough. I believe the label said it 250W on the +12v rail.

If the power supply wasn't enough for this card wouldn't it still post?


More about : bad 5750 psu

a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 1:24:26 AM

-- Your 5750 card specs says it draws a max of 108w;
-- It looks like you have one 6-pin power connector.
-- I can't find any specs on your PSU, so I can't tell if your running one 12v rail, or more than one, or if there could be another issue.
-- That dimming GPU heatsink light could mean it's not getting enough power to POST.
Can you borrow a friend's PSU and see if that works.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 1:53:19 AM

It should be enough, unless it is defective. If you can try another PSU do that first. Then, or if you can't do that, I'd try RMAing the GPU.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 18, 2010 4:05:15 AM

Actually, when the problem is not being able to post... it could be your sticks of ram. Has happened to me in the past.
m
0
l
February 18, 2010 12:59:39 PM

Sticks of RAM are fine. Removal of the new HD5750 card allows me to boot via the onboard graphics. System will not boot/post with new video card in. Will also boot with old X1300 in.
m
0
l
February 18, 2010 1:12:37 PM

treefrog07 said:
-- Your 5750 card specs says it draws a max of 108w;
-- It looks like you have one 6-pin power connector.
-- I can't find any specs on your PSU, so I can't tell if your running one 12v rail, or more than one, or if there could be another issue.
-- That dimming GPU heatsink light could mean it's not getting enough power to POST.
Can you borrow a friend's PSU and see if that works.

True...looking online for the PSU specs appear to be non-existent. If I recall correctly the label said One +12V capable of 250W.

Now if we take into consideration the 525W total and 250W for the +12V rail are the maximum and probably over-rated...I am inclined to think it should be enough to allow it to boot. That is I don't think the 5750 draws 108W or even 50W at boot right?

I don't have access to a MORE POWERFUL PSU. However, I do have an Antec PSU that I used prior to the Mad Dog PSU. I think the Antec is a 420W or maybe only a 320-350W....

What I thought about doing was plugging the Antec into the outlet and using it to only power the HD5750. I know there may be ground loop issues, but I want to see if it will post or not. If it posts, then I'll need to order a large PSU. If still no post, then I think my 5750 is DOA.

A couple of years ago I moved from my large Antec case to the lightweight aluminum Antec Lanboy...with the clear side window. The front and rear fans had blue LEd's...thus the switch to the Mad Dog PSU which had the Blue LED's whereas my old Antec PSU was plain. Looking now times have changed...there aren't that many PSU's that have LED's and the ones that do don't appear to be 80 plus...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 1:15:08 PM

Check what the wattage (and more importantly the 12V amps) is, it might be enough to use to power the whole system (at least for a test).
m
0
l
February 18, 2010 1:41:32 PM

EXT64 said:
Check what the wattage (and more importantly the 12V amps) is, it might be enough to use to power the whole system (at least for a test).

I was thinking about that..though I am not certain if their is a downside to powering up only th 5750 with the 2nd PSU. Reason being is it does not appear the 5750 gets power from the PCI-E slot. If I disconnect the 6-pin power plug, the Blue Sapphire heat shield fan does not light nor does the GPU fan come on.

On another note...to reduce power consumption with the existing supply I had disconnected most of the drives...1 DVD-ROM, both DVD-RW drives..4 of the HD's except for the one that contains my boot partition. Effectively leaving the MB, 5750 and boot drive. I don't receive video signal so I can't see the post screen, but the drive begins to spin then stops and the post completed "beep" never happens.

I'll have to try the Antec both powering up the MB, 5750 and HD and only the video card by itself and see what happens.

thanks
m
0
l
February 19, 2010 5:39:16 AM

vette8t7 said:
I was thinking about that..though I am not certain if their is a downside to powering up only th 5750 with the 2nd PSU. Reason being is it does not appear the 5750 gets power from the PCI-E slot. If I disconnect the 6-pin power plug, the Blue Sapphire heat shield fan does not light nor does the GPU fan come on.

On another note...to reduce power consumption with the existing supply I had disconnected most of the drives...1 DVD-ROM, both DVD-RW drives..4 of the HD's except for the one that contains my boot partition. Effectively leaving the MB, 5750 and boot drive. I don't receive video signal so I can't see the post screen, but the drive begins to spin then stops and the post completed "beep" never happens.

I'll have to try the Antec both powering up the MB, 5750 and HD and only the video card by itself and see what happens.

thanks


Something is incompatible with something else in your system, im not sure what but im particularly sure that your card works. This has happened, and I believe it is your PSU or BIOS. Try borrowing a friends PSU (make sure its better quality like Antec if possible and see if it works)

OR

It could be a driver problem:
Did you clean the drivers off your HDs? Put in your old graphics card or boot with onboard graphics, install and run DriverSweeper and clean the old display/graphics drivers off. Reboot. Shutdown. Plug in the HD 5750, and install drivers from the ATI website.
(This may be it).
m
0
l
February 19, 2010 1:33:18 PM

arcticking said:
Something is incompatible with something else in your system, im not sure what but im particularly sure that your card works. This has happened, and I believe it is your PSU or BIOS. Try borrowing a friends PSU (make sure its better quality like Antec if possible and see if it works)

OR

It could be a driver problem:
Did you clean the drivers off your HDs? Put in your old graphics card or boot with onboard graphics, install and run DriverSweeper and clean the old display/graphics drivers off. Reboot. Shutdown. Plug in the HD 5750, and install drivers from the ATI website.
(This may be it).


I think I mistakenly used two words interchangeably in my previous description.

Clarification: The PC will not POST if the HD5750 is present. (I mistakenly had said boot in some postings-whereas I also said post).

2. Without changing the BIOS settings, removal of the 5750 the pc will POST and BOOT. (using onboard)

3. Without changing the BIOS settings, replacing my old x1300 the PC will POST and BOOT. (using PCI-E card)

4. The BIOS settings with the onboard graphics have been set to allow it to work with the PCI-E video card if present-if not use on board graphics. From #2 and #3 we see the PSU, BIOS, memory etc. all work and are set correctly.

5. Inserting the HD5750 the PC never posts-I can't see due to no video signal, but it is set for non-quick boot so there should be the "press<esc> to boot" and a 10 second count down after which there is a beep. This beep never occurs when the 5750 is present, but does in all other cases.

I pulled out my old PSU this morning...It is actually a 430W Enermax. It did not have the larger (newer) connector for the motherboard. So I attempted to have it just power the video card, but as I suspected there is some sort of MB sense singal probably needed as it would not even power on.
m
0
l
February 19, 2010 1:45:50 PM

check your PSU..use Corsair PSU 4 better power
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2010 7:06:56 PM

Yep, if you google around you should be able to find the "signal" you have to give it.
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 3:08:07 PM

Hi vette8t7, my english is not so good, but I'll try to give you some tips that maybe can help you with your problem:

1) (This happen to me with my HD5750) My monitor is an LCD Samsung 2243, and it has a d-sub conector, while the card has dvi (display port and hdmi too), so I buyed a dvi adapter, but didn't work out, because it wasn't the right one, it didn't have the four holes for analog monitors (it was dvi-d), when I found the right one (dvi-i) it works smoothly.

2) Maybe this can sound kind of stupid, but you can try it anyway (happen to me once with an XFX nvidia card). When you insert the card into the motherboard, push it until you hear a sound like "clack", I mean that be sure the card is firmly inserted into the motherboard.

With the option 1, I did notice that the card has been working fine by using my onboard card and checking the normal functioning of my pc and windows. After that, did put the card (HD5750) into the motherboard and turn it on, five minutes later I turned off the pc (by leaving it without energy) and put off again the card from the motherboard, so, (again with my onboard card) Windows told me that has been shutted down in an inapropiate way.
Check your bios settings, my motherboard (asus M4A785TD-M EVO) has an option called "Primary video controller" wich lets you choose the order of the graphic cards (GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI) where GFX0 is the primary video controller on a PCIe 16x slot, and IGFX is the onboard video.

Well, I hope you can solve your problem with this tips (or some else from other people). Bye and good luck!

PS: I hope that you understand me, sorry for my bad english again.-
m
0
l
February 23, 2010 5:39:33 AM

Will a 450w 21amp power supply work for the 5750?
m
0
l
April 28, 2010 2:24:38 PM

Vette, I would love to know how your problem worked out.

I found your post, along with this one

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286780-33-possibly-ma...

while trying to solve a very similiar problem with my hd 5750.

I have recently put together a new build with a phenom IIx2 550 (unlocked to a quad) paired with a HD 5750 (1Gig, Pci-e 2) on a Gigabyte mobo (ma770t-ud3p). Worked fine for a few days, until it developed a fault: no post and error beep (1 long and 2 short, indicating a problem with the graphics card). When I put my old card in place of the new hd 5750, everything worked fine. Therefore, I returned the card, and received a replacement. With the replacement card, everything worked fine again for a couple of days, but then, after a long stint of playing Bad Company 2, the same fault appeared: no post, same error beep. I worked out that my power supply wasnt a very good one, so I assumed it was to blame, but the Psu I bought to replace it- only marginally better than the last, but certainly with plenty of headroom to cover my power consumption- did not fix the problem.

What I cant do is put this replacement HD 5750 into another computer to check if its faulty, as I dont have another computer, and am out in the country.

I have uninstalled the old drivers, but this did not work.

I am hanging on the edge of my seat for a suggestion...
m
0
l
May 6, 2010 5:01:54 AM

Problem solved: faulty mobo. The reason why my spare Graphics Card worked and the problem only occured with the HD5750, was because my old card does not have the 6 pin power socket. Not sure why, but the problem only occured with the more heavy duty GPU. This is why it was so difficult to isolate.
m
0
l
!