What cables to use for Gigabit network?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what type of cables are used to connect the computers in Gigabit networks? I think it's regular Cat. 5e, but many of the product descriptions I've seen for Cat. 5e on the web say it's rated up to 100Mbps, not 1000Mbps.

5 answers Last reply
More about what cables gigabit network
  1. Cat5e is ok for gigabit networks. There's 4 twisted pairs in Cat5e, 100Mbps uses only 2, while gigabit uses all 4.
  2. Thanks Dax.

  3. If you can please post the pinouts on the glan cable. I had no idea the glan used 4 lines (2pair)

    Wer use the B standard, and we also use the spliters witch will turn 1 run into 2. I'll bet glan will have a problem with the spliter. However the spliter uses 4 on each split.

    YAHOO IM @ flagg7771234
  4. "I had no idea the glan used 4 lines (2pair)"

    I never said that, I said: "glan" uses 4 pairs, while 10/100Base-T uses only 2.

    Here's a couple of links for you:

    Where I originally found out about this:
    <A HREF="http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article41-page4.php" target="_new">http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article41-page4.php</A>

    To back it up:
    <A HREF="http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/media/lan/gig/tech/1000b_sd.htm" target="_new">http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/media/lan/gig/tech/1000b_sd.htm</A>

    How to wire Cat5e (in case you need it :wink: ):
    <A HREF="http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp" target="_new">http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp</A>
  5. If you want to spend the extra, cat6 would also work, with a little more insulation. 5e should be enough though (depending on length).

    umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Computers Cable Networking