Sign in with
Your question

Cannot connect to internet after boot

Last response: in Networking
January 24, 2010 3:40:33 AM

Win 7 64bit
Gbyte P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
Every time I boot up the pc, I am unable to connect to the internet, but i can connect to (and swap files with) any other PC on my home network. I have been using the workaround below to get onto the internet and it hasnt bothered me, because I rarely shut down the PC. But since I have built myslef a new PC, this one will be going to my wife, who shuts down every night. and I can't tell her that every time she starts the PC, she has to go through these steps to get onto the internet.

I can fix this by going into device manager >> Network Adapters >> Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Once there, I go into the properties and change ANY one of the settings. It does not matter what setting i change....After I change a setting and hit apply, I am able to connect to the internet again.

I am currently using driver from Realtek 7.11.1127.2009 and have tried the latest from Gigabyte 7.006.0820.2009..

This problem started around the time I installed my new video card a few weeks ago. That card is now in another pc...

More about : connect internet boot

Anonymous
January 24, 2010 8:01:53 AM

Do you have the facility of saving a profile after changing the settings ?

Also check Device Manager for any flagged up problem with the Network Adapter -- if it's a PCI resource clash you may make life simpler if you go into the motherboard's BIOS screens and disable any ports not in use -- Parallel port if using a USB printer, Game/Midi, COM. Reboot Windows a couple of times to reassign resources.
m
l
January 24, 2010 1:23:48 PM

Quote:
Do you have the facility of saving a profile after changing the settings ?

Also check Device Manager for any flagged up problem with the Network Adapter -- if it's a PCI resource clash you may make life simpler if you go into the motherboard's BIOS screens and disable any ports not in use -- Parallel port if using a USB printer, Game/Midi, COM. Reboot Windows a couple of times to reassign resources.

Im not sure what you mean by "Do you have the facility of saving a profile after changing the settings ?"

I do not see anything flagged in Device Manager.
I disabled Parallel Port and still have the problem...

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
January 24, 2010 3:56:24 PM

I was referring to wireless adapter settings, which may not be relevant. But, for example with a Netgear adapter the Netgear utilities for that adapter allow one to save a profile containing the station name and wireless security settings.

Your symptoms are similar to those if one failed to save a profile.

But, as I say, it may not be relevant to your case.
m
l
January 26, 2010 10:49:26 PM

Ok, I see what you are saying....
So I thought that I had things fixed..I changed the computer name and things worked for a couple of days. I rebotted lots of times and it all seemed great. Then tonigth when the wife got home from work, she booted up the computer and the internet did not work.
I fixed it again by going into device manager >> Network Adapters >> Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Once there, I go into the properties and change ANY one of the settings. It does not matter what setting i change....After I change a setting and hit apply, I am able to connect to the internet again.
But it is back to not working again everytime I reboot...
very frustrating!
m
l
Anonymous
January 27, 2010 9:27:33 AM

Could be a hardware problem -- perhaps a resource clash, even if Device Manager doesn't flag it as having one.

Try going into the motherboard's BIOS screens and look for facility to disable ports that are not in use. COM port probably, Parallel Printer port if using USB printer, Game/Midi.

After restarting the computer I would restart Windows a couple of time and see if reassigned resources clear the issue.

You might also in Device Manager have to uninstall the network adapter and then re-install it after rebooting just to make sure that resources are reassigned.
m
l
!