Help with choices

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Corsair
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 19, 2012 6:15:06 AM

Hi,

I'm new to the forums looking for water cooling advice but Im not sure I can take most of the advice given here. I live in Peru and many of the supplies and specific parts are not available here unless I were to ship them. However there is a market for kits such as Corsair H100 and the sort (other models from corsair that is). By now you may have noticed that my main language is not english so I ignore some of the techy talk about water cooling. (Learning as I go)

So my problem is that summer is coming and so far I have been using the stock fans without much problem. Although with increasing temperatures, mostly from my GPU.

Up to 78º c / 1920*1080

In games like SC2 with maxed settings, Metro 2033 (max), Battlefield 3 (high)

Appart from the heat summer will bring I would like to experiment with overclocking.

My built consists of:

i7-2700k
XFX AMD RADEON HD 6970
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 DELUXE (LGA1155)

Having said all this and taking into account that the most accessible kit is a corsair kit. What would be a good choice to cool my CPU and GPU?

If i left out something important let me know.

More about : choices

a c 78 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 8:38:10 AM

Welcome to Tom's hardware and the watercooling section :) 

To get you upto speed, you should check out the watercooling sticky. Very informative and should help you narrow down parts for your watercooling build, even if you need to buy parts outside your country.

But if all you have are corsair all-in-one units available, I'd say keep all the hardware on air instead of watercooling. You'd be spending nearly double!triple on a regular to performing air cooler and get the same performance and noise levels as the closed loop all in one coolers.

No matter if your first language isn't English - your doing just fine !
m
l
December 25, 2012 8:22:33 PM

Thanks for the answer. After looking around a lot I figured it would be more convenient to buy an aftermarket cooler for my GPU, I was looking into the accelero extreme III (http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/554/accelero-xtre...) and I think there's a good chance of being able to ship it here. I hope that can help me keep my GPU cooler for a while.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 26, 2012 1:36:29 AM

sorry I missed this earlier, but can we have full system specs? May need to address case's airflow to understand where your sitting at now :) 

Post back and we'll move from there.
m
l
December 26, 2012 4:41:38 PM

Case: NZXT Tempest 410 (http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/tempest...)

This is how it currently looks like. Its been almost a year since I got this case and I usually clean my cases once a year, this one will have to wait a couple more weeks. The rear of the case is about 12" from the wall but I guess the room temperature isn't optimal.

I have the 2 stock 120mm fans on the front, stock 120 on the back but I don't have the bottom or top fans. The case has an acrylic side panel and I think it would be easy to mount a fan on the side although I don't know if it should be an intake or exhaust fan.

The case has 315mm clearance for the GPU and 170mm for a CPU heatsink.

I usually do 3D modelling and rendering on this PC, while rendering the CPU takes the heat but it rarely reaches temps over 70 (while rendering)

The GPU has 1 fan that can reach about 5.5k RPM and its to the right.

I haven't bought the other fans because I didn't want it to be too loud and for the past months I wasn't having much trouble with the temperatures.

I'm not sure what else a full system spec entails, I dont think the RAM has much of a role in cooling atm.

PS: Corsair TX850
MB: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 DELUXE (LGA1155)
GPU: XFX AMD RADEON HD 6970
CPU: i7-2700k

Thanks in advance =)

EDIT: I took the side panel only to take the picture, I don't run it open.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 27, 2012 1:15:10 AM

perform the first test mentioned in this post.

hmmm, you could use a good air cleaning on the entire case :)  jokes aside, try these out before we can suggest a new cooler for you.
1| bust all the dust out of the case and the cooling fan on your GPU.
2| perform cable management in your case to remove those stray cables at the bottom
3| if you must have a fan on the side panel always have it as intake as this will feed your components fresh cooler air
4| any fans up top to exhaust the heat?
5| are the fans on your case molex headers or 3pin headers, you can have them off of mobo to control speed via their software suite.
6| you can opt for more fans but quieter fans to keep noise down but have good air cooling with these
7| I think a tower cooler and some new fans will do you justice :) 
8| you're welcome but don't thank me yet!
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:10:49 PM

Sorry for the delayed response, I took a trip for about 10 and just today I cleaned the case.

I did the fan test and got about 5-7°C improvement.

After that I cleaned the interior which was cleaner than I expected for a year of use, turns out the front fans have filters.

I reduced some of the cable clutter but my PSU isnt modular (I didnt know about them when I bought it) and I cant seem to fit all those extra cables anywhere.

Ill mod the side panel to fit a fan as soon as I can buy it.

I can fit 2 140mm fans on top, so far I don't have them. I have 2 extra fan ports on the mother boar.

So far the GPU temperature after cleaning is about 7°C less so I think ill still look for a cooler after I get the top fans.
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 1:05:00 PM

Glad to hear that you've done some cleaning!

Now that we've ascertained t the case isn't your limiting factor we can move onto prescribing a cooler for your needs. In fact after we've found a cooler for you, you'll be seeing better temps all round :) 

An aftermarket cooler like the AC extreme III is amazing, considering your situation, it'll be far better than a closed loop cooler solution.

If your yet interested in watercooling, I'd suggest an XSPC 360 kit with a full cover GPU waterblock since a 6970 block is available. However, for an air cooling solution, get a Hyper 212 evo and that accerlero extreme III
January 10, 2013 1:29:47 PM

Best answer selected by LGC.
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:29:57 PM

Best answer selected by LGC.
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:39:45 PM

Well, thanks for your help and suggestions.

Who knew, cleaning my PC went a longer way than expected, and now I know to keep an eye on those filters. Idle temps went as low as 40° C now and under load the GPU wont go over 68.

I found a reseller for corsair AF 140 and Ill get a couple for the top exhaust. After that I have to wait for the accelero to ship here and do some stress tests. Maybe Ill get a filtered bottom 120 fan but that's only if I cant get good enough temps.

Ill see if I can get anything like the Hyper 212 here but that stretches my budget a bit so, CPU cooling might have to wait a couple of months.

Water cooling is something I'd like to try later on, probably in a different build.

I selected your answers as best answer but nothing happens =(

EDIT: huh, now I can see the best answer post =)
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 1:54:49 PM

LGC said:
Well, thanks for your help and suggestions.

Who knew, cleaning my PC went a longer way than expected, and now I know to keep an eye on those filters. Idle temps went as low as 40° C now and under load the GPU wont go over 68.
Thanks for the BA vote man! Its a good thing you posted back with your results, excellent work with your temps too! [:lutfij:3]

Alot of people misunderstand that slapping on some cool looking hardware will mean that their hardware will remain looking cool for an eternity. Hardware are like attention seekers, treat them right, they will treat you much better :)  Alot of them overlook the state their case is in, most times out-of-sight doesn't mean out-of-danger :p 

LGC said:
I found a reseller for corsair AF 140 and Ill get a couple for the top exhaust. After that I have to wait for the accelero to ship here and do some stress tests. Maybe Ill get a filtered bottom 120 fan but that's only if I cant get good enough temps.
The AF's from Corsair are good case fans but not good heatsink/rad fans. For a cooler maybe, you'll need SP fans - but you knew that already :) 

LGC said:
Ill see if I can get anything like the Hyper 212 here but that stretches my budget a bit so, CPU cooling might have to wait a couple of months.
Not saying you should do it now :sol:  just a caution that it'll be cheaper(about half) and better for your situation than a closed loop cooler from say Corsair or Antec.

LGC said:
Water cooling is something I'd like to try later on, probably in a different build.
You may want to check out my AMS build log, in my sig. Just finished with it and going put some more pics up in the build log. Subscribe to it maybe...or maybe just check it out.

LGC said:
I selected your answers as best answer but nothing happens =(

EDIT: huh, now I can see the best answer post =)
Funny seeing two BA selection posts :)  never happened in my 3 years here. Oh well, there's a first time for everything :p 

Thanks again for BA vote!

P.S: I can also shoot some cablemanagement tips via PM if you'd like so you'll have some more room and airflow in your case.
m
l
!