PC won't POST

pdriva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hi,

I've just purchased a new computer and it does not seem to start. Here are the specs:

MOBO: AsRock M3A785GXH/128M
CPU: Athlon II X4 630
RAM: Patriot Viper II Sector 5 PVV34G1600LLKB
PSU: OCZ Modxstream pro 600w
HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro rev 2
Case: Xclio a380 plus

I've tried breadboarding and with just the HSF, cpu and mobo connected to the PSU, the PSU turns on, the HSF runs but I don't hear any beeps, so here are some questions I need to ask:

1. What's the most likely problem?
2. I plugged the system speaker (that came with the case) onto a "Chasis speaker header" of the mobo. Does it matter which way I plug the speaker and if so, which way is right (the speaker is wired up by a yellow and black lead on each end, and the speaker header is a 4-pin with speaker and +5v in each end, seperated by 2 dummy pins)?
3. Is there any compatibility issues with any of the components? I read that the patriot viper II sector 5 is "designed for P55 platforms (http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808)" so can these be used for AMD systems in the first place (and that goes for all the other components in this system)?

Please help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome newcommer!

Ram manufacturers are going mushrooms just making ram modules that have issues with intels new core i series. I know OCZ mentions which ones are compatible with amd's and which ones are for intel's. But the timings are what should be noted in your case.I think you should've gone with buying 1333Mhz ram modules instead of 1600Mhz, that would be the answer to your first/third question.

About the speaker wires, onsult the manual you got with the mobo and your chasis, compile them both and you'll reach a solution, if the spacers are getting in the way of the connectors then you can snip them int he middle and connect them individually into the mobo pins

1. PSU is generally the most likely suspect.

2. System speaker is nonpolarized. Orientation does not matter. I have never seen other than a 4 pin header for the speaker with the two outer pins live.

3. Compatibility - Does the motherboard support your AMD chip or do you need to flash your BIOS? If so, you will need an older CPU to boot.

If you hear silence when you try to boot with only CPU & HSF, PSU, and case speaker installed; the problem is probably PSU, motherboard, or CPU - assuming the CPU is compatible with the motherboard/BIOS.

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

pdriva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I need to clarify that when I said PSU "turns on", I meant that the CPU fans and the case fans connected to the PSU/mobo actually runs, so it should be unlikely that the problem is on the PSU (unless there's compatibility issues between PSU and mobo)? Regardless, I've already sent the mobo back to the manufacturer for a replacement so if problems persist I will post again.