Sign in with
Your question

SSD for OC

Last response: in Storage
March 13, 2012 6:12:31 PM

Would this SSD work for windows 7 ult

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : ssd

March 13, 2012 6:23:48 PM

OS not OC lol oops!!
m
l
March 13, 2012 7:22:57 PM

40gb is a little small for a worry free OS drive IMO. Min windows install size is advertised as 20gb, with the actual install size differing a few gb depending on what components you use. Now you can use 30-40gb drives for boot, but most people that do wind up relocating stuff to their storage drive (user folders and trashcan being the common ones). At the price point you're looking at, newegg has 64gb drives for only a few bucks more, my favorite being the Crucial M4.

If you're sold on SandForce as a controller Corsair's Force 3 is within a few dollars of your original drive too, with 60gb of space.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 523 G Storage
March 13, 2012 8:18:18 PM

Yes, you really shouldn't use anything less than 60GB as an O/S drive.
If you're going to buy that 40GB drive then use it as a cache drive along with high capacity (1TB) HDD drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 13, 2012 8:32:50 PM

Don't get a 40GB drive. I even recommend against 60GB, especially for gamers.

Also, that drive is a terrible, terrible deal. More than $2/GB for a POS SATA II drive? No thanks. I just snagged a 120 GB Mushkin Chronos for $130. That's 300% of the space for 150% of the cost of that drive.
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:41:26 PM

im really happy with my Force3 60GB it's a good little drive, honestly buy for reputation, the slowest SSD is going to be a great upgrade over HDD.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:06:09 PM

I haven't really heard anything bad about Mushkin's SSDs. The only caveat I have with SandForce drives are their wildly varying performance when it comes to dealing with incompressible data (mp3, movies, etc). Now most of these kinds of files will find themselves on your storage drive, but it's something to keep in mind when purchasing. Of course, even a SandForce drive at its slowest (ie. random incompressible writes) will be faster than your run of the mill magnetic drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
March 14, 2012 2:52:19 PM

Normally I do Not recommend SF22xx based Sata III SSD's, but that one seems to have very faverable feed back (large group, low 1/2 egg reviews). My Preference is for the marvel based drives.

Size wize, 120/128 gig drive is the recommended (unless rich). For most SSDs subtrack about 10% and that is the usable space. (Lose some from base 10 to base 2 issue, and about 10% of the drive must not be used to allow Trim and CG to do there thing)

IGNORE manuf Sequencial performance for SF22xx based SSDs - Most manuf quoted, and LEAST important matrix. To compare use AS SSD performance or PCMark Vantage Benchmarks.

Bottom line, I'd probably buy at that price point. (Already have about 9 SSDs, so not going to buy just to test it - LOL
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:01:28 PM

RetiredChief said:
Normally I do Not recommend SF22xx based Sata III SSD's, but that one seems to have very faverable feed back (large group, low 1/2 egg reviews). My Preference is for the marvel based drives.

Size wize, 120/128 gig drive is the recommended (unless rich). For most SSDs subtrack about 10% and that is the usable space. (Lose some from base 10 to base 2 issue, and about 10% of the drive must not be used to allow Trim and CG to do there thing)

IGNORE manuf Sequencial performance for SF22xx based SSDs - Most manuf quoted, and LEAST important matrix. To compare use AS SSD performance or PCMark Vantage Benchmarks.

Bottom line, I'd probably buy at that price point. (Already have about 9 SSDs, so not going to buy just to test it - LOL

The reviews seem good the price seems fair for 120g Enough space for windows 7 and some extra stuff
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
March 14, 2012 3:05:04 PM

^ Reason My bottom line kind of says - GO FOR IT and ENJOY
m
l
!