Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

5850 or 5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 17, 2010 8:03:55 PM

Yes,yes I know there are a lot of threads about this, but none of them seem to answer my questions.

Im upgraded from a 4870 and do you think its a worth while upgrade if i got from that to a 5850? I just need a card that game play any game (including crysis) 30 Fps and above at 1920 x 1080. I don't want to crossfire my 4870 because i know that eventually i would buy a Dx11 card so it would be a waste and im not sure if the 5850 is going to last me very long.

More about : 5850 5870

a c 130 U Graphics card
February 17, 2010 8:27:06 PM

The HD5850 is indeed a worthwhile upgrade, however, it would be much better if you could stretch for an HD5870 and then in 2 years crossfire it.
February 17, 2010 8:28:58 PM

What if i just crossfire two 5850's? in the future
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 17, 2010 9:10:15 PM

Sure, it would be great. Two HD5850's knock down a GTX295 nicely.
February 17, 2010 9:45:38 PM

I have the 5850 and its great, I have it overclocked to 1000core, runs crysis maxed out 1920x1200.
February 17, 2010 9:55:04 PM

Im not looking forward to a crossfire rig, only if i have to, but do you guys think a 5850 would be good enough as a single card to handle all games at max 60fps and above and for crysis 30fps and above?
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 17, 2010 10:01:42 PM

How long? No guarantees after a year and a half.
February 17, 2010 10:03:43 PM

1 year and after one year i would probably crossfire depending on what card i get
February 17, 2010 10:33:34 PM

Yea it should be good, i don't think the 5870 is worth the price premium. Maybe you should hold off and see what nvidia has? Even if it is way over priced, if it performs well enough it'll likely decrease the 5000 card prices...even then 5850 prices are gradually going back down. But I can play most new games entirely maxed out, full AA/AF no problem (except crysis...no AA/AF for very high settings around 40 fps)
February 17, 2010 11:34:36 PM

Whats your CPU and what res do you play at?
February 18, 2010 2:12:16 AM

cpu is phenom II 955 @ 3.9 and 1920x1200
February 18, 2010 5:36:16 AM

After searching around i totally forgot about the Asus 5850 which will allow me to increase voltages and it can overclock higher than a 5870 overclock which is ******* great
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 12:12:26 PM

I would go for the 5870 then, it offers a little more horsepower, and ALOT more OC room, especially if you get the ASUS one (unlocked voltage)
February 18, 2010 5:08:34 PM

jonpaul37 said:
I would go for the 5870 then, it offers a little more horsepower, and ALOT more OC room, especially if you get the ASUS one (unlocked voltage)

No, the point of this thread was to see if a 5850 was good enough. If it wasn't i would have to go with a 5870 and i was for sure the 5870 was all i need. So since i found the asus 5850 i could overclock it higher than the 5870 which would be sufficient for me
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 5:34:26 PM

Was just stating that the 5850 is good enough but the 5870 offers more power and will last longer and has a little better OC potential. Don't get me wrong, the 5850 is a beast, but the 5870 is beastlier and would last longer.
February 18, 2010 8:11:46 PM

From what i have seen, they both seem to top out at about 1ghz, and i like i said before, i don't think the slight improvement (which is even less when they are both at 1ghz) is worth the price. BTW, if you get MSI afterburner, or get a new video bios, you can volt mod any 5850/5870.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 7:57:00 AM

If your upgrading from a 4870 than get the 5870, I just got one when I upgraded from a single 4890, it seems like on most benchmarks the 5850 does not offer very much of an increase over the 4890 but the 5870 definatley did
March 6, 2010 9:17:15 AM

xeonyxorich said:
Yes,yes I know there are a lot of threads about this, but none of them seem to answer my questions.

Im upgraded from a 4870 and do you think its a worth while upgrade if i got from that to a 5850? I just need a card that game play any game (including crysis) 30 Fps and above at 1920 x 1080. I don't want to crossfire my 4870 because i know that eventually i would buy a Dx11 card so it would be a waste and im not sure if the 5850 is going to last me very long.


why not crossfire the 4870 with a hd 5870? That would be a pretty powerfull combination
Then later, throw out the 4870 and add another 5000 series
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:11:12 AM

go for the 5850, the 5870 isnt worth the price premium and you can increase voltage on every 5850/70 brand with msi afterburner and get sick overclocks :)  then when games do not run as good as you want anymore you can get another 5850. case closed :D 
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2010 11:52:30 AM

Regardless of being able to volt-tweak any 5850 with MSI's afterburner, remember that not all brands are covered for OC under warranty. I know the ASUS brands support overclocking on their warranty as well as MSI's brands.
March 10, 2010 2:32:02 AM

I just ordered the asus brand and if i use their software to overclock it and fry it, i get a new one. Also i could go above afterburner and overclock even higher
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 4:21:54 PM

sounds like a good deal I just don't understand what kind of setup you must have to have the need to overclock a high end card like that, excessively, as it is very power at stock. Trying to run a 6 monitor eye infinity setup or something?
March 10, 2010 8:38:14 PM

DX 11 and Crysis 2, I am a big big crysis fan and im looking into using DX 11 with metro 2033. I just want the best performance :D 
March 10, 2010 8:48:52 PM

xeonyxorich said:
Yes,yes I know there are a lot of threads about this, but none of them seem to answer my questions.

Im upgraded from a 4870 and do you think its a worth while upgrade if i got from that to a 5850? I just need a card that game play any game (including crysis) 30 Fps and above at 1920 x 1080. I don't want to crossfire my 4870 because i know that eventually i would buy a Dx11 card so it would be a waste and im not sure if the 5850 is going to last me very long.


I can understand your reason why it so hard to figure out what is good and what is not best.
Now the ATI Radeon 5850 card (I have it) is such the item to have but you have a choice to pick the 5850 or 5870.
Up to you but both cards are great with Crysis and DirectX11. Today's games and the future of games would support DirectX11.
If you wait longer(as you have more money) you can buy the 5870 and still have better FPS in Crysis but only if your CPU is a very good one at that.
You also have to take that in count for everything.

Wish you luck on the video card choice.
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 9:43:47 PM

5850 is definitely good enough, if you want the 5870 and have the money then sure, but a 5850 + a good OC can beat the pulp out of the entire GTX line & most games (not crysis).
March 11, 2010 12:53:52 AM

Keiki646 said:
I can understand your reason why it so hard to figure out what is good and what is not best.
Now the ATI Radeon 5850 card (I have it) is such the item to have but you have a choice to pick the 5850 or 5870.
Up to you but both cards are great with Crysis and DirectX11. Today's games and the future of games would support DirectX11.
If you wait longer(as you have more money) you can buy the 5870 and still have better FPS in Crysis but only if your CPU is a very good one at that.
You also have to take that in count for everything.

Wish you luck on the video card choice.

I did research about the CPU thing and if i switched to a phenom II x4 there will be half an FPS more. I play at 1080p, but if i played at 1680 x 1050 I would probably buy a new one. Higher res means lower CPU priority
March 11, 2010 11:10:35 AM

xeonyxorich said:
I did research about the CPU thing and if i switched to a phenom II x4 there will be half an FPS more. I play at 1080p, but if i played at 1680 x 1050 I would probably buy a new one. Higher res means lower CPU priority


Then you have a choice on what card you would like to have.
I would say 5850 if that is the only thing that you cane enough for right now.
I love the Sapphire 5850 that come with Dirt 2 game coupon. Never had a problem with it yet and I don't think I would not ever.
5870 is a bigger card so you might want to think about how long is your case and to see if it can either fit an 5870,
But it would surely fit a 5850.....with no problem.

Nice spec's by the way
March 11, 2010 2:03:43 PM

I say you shoulda waited a few weeks, see what NVIDIA have to offer...

But in any case, 5850 is AWESOME.
!