Crucial 128GB SSD Help

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I was thinking about getting this SSD for my BOOT/Main programs drive. This "kit" is noob friendly that is why I want to get it, but my question is I don't want to clone over everything on my HDD. I have my single HDD split into two separate drives (Windows 7, then just E: ) In the crucial program will I be able to clone just the Window 7 or will it bypass the double drive HDD and put as single.?

Thanks

Links:

SSD: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1785184&Sku=C19-8003
Picture of my Problem: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4228/hddpt.png

RealBeast

Titan
It should allow you to clone just the OS partition, but if not there are a number of other alternatives that will, like Easus Todo Backup for one. Check to see that the SRP is on the C partition also, and not on the E partition. Before you clone the drive make a system repair disk just in case you need it to correct the SRP after replacing with the cloned drive.

RealBeast

Titan

System reserved partition, a 100mb partition that is created by Windows 7.

p.s. I agree that a fresh install is best, and is best done with all other HDDs disconnected after bios SATA mode is set to AHCI.

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
well, I have programs on this HDD under the C: that I don't have the CDKeys anymore, so how can I bring thoses over? and also I don't have a Windows 7 Disc just a activation code.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
If you have Windows 7 Pro, you can download an official demo from the Microsoft site. The demo can be activated with a viable Win 7 Pro serial.

Not sure if there are other versions, though.

I don't know if it is possible to port installed programs from one windows installation into another. If you are lucky some might just be a copy&paste job. At the worst case they have some crucial registry entries that you would have to find out and port over manually (aka create the entries yourself).

A registry backup of the old install and an import into the new one could do the trick to or as well kill the new install. :D

Well you get the idea...

RealBeast

Titan

So it may be worth trying a disk cloning, but make sure to create a system repair disk before the cloning, as that disk has always fixed any issues that I've had using a cloned drive.

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Well it doesn't hurt to try! :] Also I have windows 7 Enterprise, So if all fails the back up will fix and or I will just start up from scratch! :] Thanks for all the help guys