Sign in with
Your question

Motherboards which would support 125w version of Phenom II X4 965 BE

Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2010 6:55:04 PM

Greetings everyone!

I was hoping to get some professional advice. I want to buy the new 125w Phenom II X4 965BE, but I need a decent motherboard (preferably Asus), which would support this CPU out of the box. I would like to invest up to 100 pounds in the motherboard. Was looking forward to Asus Am3 M4A79XTD Evo, but that one needs a bios update first, to support this CPU.

Thanks
a c 131 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 9:39:24 PM

How do you know what bios version that motherboard comes with?
Related resources
May 6, 2010 11:59:34 PM

I got the Asus M4A77TD which is AM3 - DDR3 - Pci-E 2.0 - 7.1 HD Sound amd works right out the box, I installed a Phenom II X4 955BE and can overclock to 3.8Ghz no problem, bios is already for all Phenom and supports X6 processors that come out. Paid like $95 canadian so it would be a little cheaper for you.
May 7, 2010 7:27:55 PM

Quote:
NO, the Nvida chipsets are horrible, you cant use AMD's Overdrive software, it also runs hot/ power inefficent/buggy.

Get the Asus M4A89GTD PRO if you want, no BIOS update needed, £99 on scan:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-M4A89GTD-PRO-AMD-89...

Though, almost all retail M4A79XTD Evo shipping right now have the new BIOS, as long as their not last years old stock, or open box, youll be fine.

Thanks for advice.

I checked Asus M4A89GTD PRO and read some reviews and I must admit that I like it. Price in some decent online stores is about 90 pounds + shipping, which is a good deal. Could go for this one.

Considering what you said about M4A79XTD Evo - well probably it is like you say - but is there a safe way to know for sure, that MoBo I am buying is really NOT an old stock?
!