New computer, way too many BSODs

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hello all,
I'm new to these forums and new to working on computers at this kind of level but I've been trying to find answers for my pc problems and this place seems to have a pretty vast knowledge base. I ordered a brand new pc;

MOBO: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
GPU: ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: A-Data 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1600G
SSD: Kingston 30GB
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
PSU: 1100W

and it has not worked since I took it out of the box.

I constantly receive "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" AND "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" BSODs at random times. I have not been able to pin down what causes the problem. Sometimes it's while I'm playing a game, sometimes while researching why my computer just BSOD'd, and even while the computer is in sleep mode. Here are the things I've done so far;

1. Did a fresh install of windows 7

2. Memtest86, newest version, for 9hrs with 0 errors

3. Flashed BIOS

4. Set everything to factory specs, no OC'n

5. Set my DRAM to 1333 instead of 1600, was told that AMD chips will not except all 1600

6. Replaced my GPU, same deal

7. Having the company sending me out corsair 1333 sticks, not here yet

8. Tested each stick of Ram individually, no bad sticks

9. Used DriverAgent to check drivers, free version, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller and VIA High Definition Audio drivers out of date
a. Wasn't sure if i should mess with these two drivers.

10. Turned off MOBOs Turbo Core feature

If you guys have any tips or anything that might shed some light on this problem I'd greatly appreciate it. I do have a couple of .dmp files for the crashes if that helps. Thanks in advance for whatever the outcome is.

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Jaquith, thank you for the response. I looked up XMP and I have already disabled that and all information was put in correctly for the DRAM per the info written on the stick, sorry I didn't include that in the troubleshooting info. I currently have MSCONFIG set to diagnostic and I'll leave the comp running for awhile in that state. I'm assuming we're trying to see if the computer still crashes right? If the computer does crash, does that mean my problem may lie elsewhere in a software issue such as drivers? I'm only asking in advance because the problem with my computer is so random, sometimes 3x a day and sometimes I won't see it for a couple days. Thanks again for the quick response and I'll post back when I have some new info.

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Oh I forgot to mention I bounced the QVLs you provided and got the ones from AMD and my DRAM is not on any of those lists. The closest thing i found was on the ASUS mobo QVL but my ram was off by one of the ending letters and they only have it tested up to 6GB, not 8. If these tests do point to the DRAM I have the company sending me out 8GB of 1333 Corsair XMS Dominators.

Close only counts in Horseshoes, Handgrenades, & Nuclear Weapons. So the preference is to use either Certified or Tested RAM.

Also, if your rig is running stable under Diagnostic then your instability is SOFTWARE related and CONFLICTS are causing the instability. To determine "which" startup or background app(s) are causing the instability:

1. Load Diagnostic
2. Load Diagnostic + Microsoft
3. Load Diagnostic + Microsoft + Known {Apple, etc - SERVICES}
4. Load Diagnostic + Microsoft + Known {Apple, etc - SERVICES} + Startup {KNOWN}
5. Then start adding the rest 2-3 at a time; it is a slow process

Good Luck!

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
That does sound like a grueling process haha. Well didn't think I'd say it but I hope it does crash so I can be a little bit closer to a fix. I'll post how it turns out. Thanks again.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If it's a program you might get an error in the Application Log inside the Event Viewer. Check there for errors or warnings around the time of the crash.

Also if it turns out not to be software related, try running with just 4GB (2x2GB) of RAM. The recent Intel architectures often require a little extra juice in DRAM and/or QPI/Vtt to get 4 sticks running - I don't know if AMD has similar settings/requirements. But if it runs stable at 2x2GB and BSODs frequently at 4x2GB that'd tell you something.

So "I am clear to help you" - if your PC is indeed stable under Diagnostic then it's a software issue.

However, if the PC is NOT stable then it more than likely is either a Driver or Hardware issue.

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Cool cool. Yeah I'm trying to learn some more about this troubleshooting stuff as we go so if I ask a bunch of questions please don't take it as me judging what you guys are doing, just asking to expand my own knowledge on these things. Hopefully I'll have some new info soon. Thanks again for providing info on what the diagnostic will do.

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Well sorry for the long delay in posts but I guess that's a good thing right? The computer ran for 72hrs in diagnostic mode with all services turned off, the longest it has ran since i got it. I currently re-applied all "Microsoft Corporation" services and I guess we'll test from there. Does it sound reasonable to turn all those service back on so I can see if it's an Asus, AMD, or some other non-windows program? My next step if this runs solid for 72hrs is to turn on the programs that came with the hardware in my computer, i.e. ASUS, AMD, Creative Labs... If those things mess up I'll turn off and go back one by one. Well let me know whatcha think and as always, I appreciate the help.

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Haha was reviewing your previous posts Jaquith and my questions were already answered. Was wondering why my troubleshooting ideas on what to do next came so quickly. I'll keep ya posted on what happens next.

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Finish testing with the diagnostic services or just uninstall all the asus stuff and try it with all services turned on?

Uninstall ASUS & REMEMBER what's on/off just in case. ASUS is bad, Gigabyte's Utilities are the worst and they ALL cause problems! Go in the BIOS and make changes there if and when needed.

Also in the BIOS - NEVER use XMP for the RAM, and always set the Speed, CAS and DRAM Voltage manually.

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Sorry for the long delay but the PC has been running like a dream. The PC ran solid for about a week with the 1600 DRAM and only the Microsoft Services turned on. About 4 days ago I received my QVL approved 1333 Corsair Dominators and the computer has still been running great with all services turned on. I have yet to uninstall the ASUStek software but that's because I'm currently away on work. However, once I get back that will be the final step. Don't really see a need for all the overclocking stuff right now anyways since the computer is running everything I want perfectly. Thanks again for the all the knowledge you guys have shared. Everything said was very useful and it actually made this whole troubleshooting process kind of fun haha.

Good to hear! BTW - if your running {only the Microsoft Services turned on} then the ASUS Utilities are disabled -- so they cannot/won't interfere...

Eventually, the 'Goal' is to have everything running - but - the 'bad stuff' uninstalled or disabled.

Good Luck!

mhump

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Oh yeah, the Microsoft only was for the non QVL approved 1600 RAM. All services are now up and running and have been for 4 days with the new and QVL approved 1333 DRAM.