Sign in with
Your question

Google redirecting virus

Last response: in Networking
January 24, 2010 4:39:46 AM

My computer is now infected with this virus and everything I've done so far has not helped. I've used Spybot, Malware, and a bunch of others and it goes undetected. I try to boot in safe mode but the keyboard is not recognised so I can't go any further. I've tried Trojan remover and nothing shows up. Also, I tried to do a system restore and it failed.

I'm on Vista 64 but I do have the Windows 7 CD. I'm wondering if I should just upgrade the computer.
Anonymous
January 24, 2010 8:00:19 AM

Frankly, one can waste so much time chasing viruses (or blue screen events) that reinstallation is a time saver.

The only added annoyance with viruses in this situation is that you have to wave goodbye to your own data (including any floppy discs or data CDs in case they are infected too).

I have several spare hard drives so could afford to put in a fresh one and put the problem disc(s) aside, pending a solution.

Generally Win 7 would be an advance on Vista, might even speed the machine up though you may have to hunt down drivers for some hardware.

If re-using the old disk, when reinstalling do a slow format, not the quick option.
m
l
January 24, 2010 8:35:32 PM

Thanks. I don't want to lose my game data though. So is it possible to install my back up of my games with Windows 7?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
January 24, 2010 8:51:26 PM

As I say, until you have fixed a virus it is best not to re-use old data media. If the games data predates the virus issue, should be safe.
m
l
January 24, 2010 9:29:55 PM

My games predate this virus so I'll assume they're okay.
m
l
!