How to allocate my harddrive

Hello everyone. I just upgraded my computer with an additional hard drive (my other one is an SSD this is a HDD). My PC detects it and so does my BIOS and when i ask the computer it says: "This unit fuctions correctly". But when i go to see the HDD status, it says it's unallocated. How do i allocate it? Im using windows 7 64 bit.
9 answers Last reply
More about allocate harddrive
  1. Thanks! It works perfectly now
  2. iknowhowtofixit said:
    That just means you need to format it. In Windows 7 go to your Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

You can create a new partition there.

hi i got the same problem windows 7 drive is reconized but says it has to be allocated.there is no option for format.any help please.
  3. You are not supposed to be looking for Format. What you need MAY be called Create a Partition (after that is done, you Format it), but often it will be called "Initialize" the drive. That's a combination of Creating a Partition and Formatting it all in one step.
  4. For anyone who still couldn't figure out the "format portion" right click and select "create new volume", then, ok your way through the rest of it, you should come out the other side with a ready to use drive
  5. iknowhowtofixit said:
    That just means you need to format it. In Windows 7 go to your Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

6. iknowhowtofixit said:

7. but how to create partition ?
  8. SuicidalLemming said:
    Hello everyone. I just upgraded my computer with an additional hard drive (my other one is an SSD this is a HDD). My PC detects it and so does my BIOS and when i ask the computer it says: "This unit fuctions correctly". But when i go to see the HDD status, it says it's unallocated. How do i allocate it? Im using windows 7 64 bit.
  9. When a try to initialize it says the request could not be performed becourse of an I/O device error how do i
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives How To Computer Storage