Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1st timer, new build: am I on the right track?

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2010 4:06:37 PM

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for all responses. This is my first 'go' at a system build. I'm moving away from the Dell/HP plug-and-play mindset. Help me out where you can.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week
BUDGET RANGE: 1000 - 1300

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Work stuff (MS Office, internet apps), moderate gaming although interested in trying out some of the newer games out there. I'm old and still stuck on Civilization (go ahead and laugh), but I'm ready for some action. Video editing, photo editing, music recording.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, amazon
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.A.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm doing an i5 build, no brand loyalty otherwise. Mid tower case.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 - middle of the road at any rate.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: cool and quiet are important to me. Cool first.

Here's the build I've put together
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P motherboard
Intel i5-750 processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory
Corsair CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 EPS12V 2.91 80 Plus Bronze certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 video card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
Sony Optiarc DVD Burner model AD-7241S-0B multi-drive
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance ATX Mid-Tower Case (RC-692-KKN2)
Windows 7 Professional, oem version

Question - how important is the cooling paste I keep seeing referenced? Is this the kind of thing where you are getting a 5% boost or is it more significant?

Thanks a lot to you all. I've learned a TON reading for countless hours through the threads and articles on this site.

More about : 1st timer build track

February 28, 2010 4:13:18 PM

I would get the cooling paste. Reason being, compared to everything else, it's cheap. And if cool is really your first priority good thermal paste is a must have.

Your build looks good, you've done your homework.

The only thing I would change up is your HDD. The Caviar blacks are fine, but the Spinpoint F3 500GB and 1TB models are 500GB per platter, whereas that caviar is actually 3 250GB platters.

EDIT: And no one should laugh at Civ! All of those games are great. Civ4 is a game that I can always sit down and play. Hell it's been with me through my last 3 computers!
m
l

Best solution

February 28, 2010 4:14:01 PM

1) Either bump your HD up to the WD 2TB Black or swithc to a Seagate 7200.12 or samsung spinpoint. Due to the 500GB platters you will get better performance out of them.

2) Ram is it the CL7 sticks you are getting or CL9? I would get the CL7 or 8 sticks if I were you.

3) An After market cooler is not needed if you are going to do a minor OC but with the I5 would be kinda silly not to OC it.

4) 650 for a single 5770 might be a little much but the PSU is a good psu that you picked out.

Other than that your build looks good.

Only thing I will mention if you plan on upgrading your monitor I would go with the 5850 or 5870 instead of the 5770 due to the fact that the 5770 will struggle at any higher res then what you currently have. However if you are staying with that monitor for a while then the 5770 would be perfect.
Related resources
February 28, 2010 8:28:50 PM

I'll definately take a look at the hard disk alternative suggested. You've talked me into the thermal paste.
m
l
February 28, 2010 8:37:48 PM

osu43130 said:
1) Either bump your HD up to the WD 2TB Black or swithc to a Seagate 7200.12 or samsung spinpoint. Due to the 500GB platters you will get better performance out of them.

2) Ram is it the CL7 sticks you are getting or CL9? I would get the CL7 or 8 sticks if I were you.

3) An After market cooler is not needed if you are going to do a minor OC but with the I5 would be kinda silly not to OC it.

4) 650 for a single 5770 might be a little much but the PSU is a good psu that you picked out.

Other than that your build looks good.

Only thing I will mention if you plan on upgrading your monitor I would go with the 5850 or 5870 instead of the 5770 due to the fact that the 5770 will struggle at any higher res then what you currently have. However if you are staying with that monitor for a while then the 5770 would be perfect.

OSU - thanks for the suggestions. Yea, I'll likely be overclocking this cpu. That seems like half the fun of it and it looks like the i5 can really be stretched out. I have much to learn about this process.

The memory that I've selected is 8-8-8-24

I debated on the power supply knowing I didn't need 650, but I sure liked the modular idea and this PSU seems to have a strong reputation. I fuguer better too much than too little. I wasn't seeing any good options at 450-500 that were modular.

I'll be looking at the disks you suggested.

Thanks.
m
l
February 28, 2010 9:44:54 PM

BlindBaby said:
I debated on the power supply knowing I didn't need 650, but I sure liked the modular idea and this PSU seems to have a strong reputation. I fuguer better too much than too little. I wasn't seeing any good options at 450-500 that were modular.

Going with the Corsair 650W will let you upgrade your video card to the top card currently available, but if you do not see yourself doing that and want to go with a smaller modular PSU, the SeaSonic M12II 520W would be a great choice.
Seasonic is the manufacturer of many other brands of PSUs including Antec, Corsair and PC Power & Cooling.
m
l
February 28, 2010 11:14:36 PM

I also am a Civ junkie. Nothing to be ashamed of.
m
l
March 1, 2010 11:02:40 AM

Best answer selected by BlindBaby.
m
l
!