Do i need a good amount of Ram for games with lots of stuff on screen?

brown hash

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Games like Skyrim heavily modded with lots of npcs/open cities and any other game that has a lot of stuff happening on screen? Thanks in advance!

socialfox

Distinguished
Depends on how you define "good amount", for a gaming build I suggest a maximum of 8gb of ram. Personally I have never exceeded 6gb of ram usage with many tabs opened and playing a video game. And I have played Skyrim as well and that applies to it as well. You want a good processor for all those NPC and stuff, I believe Skyrim relies on the CPU quite a bit.

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

its not really your ram thats gonna kill your frame rates/gameplay with alot on screen most games u can even get away with 4 gigs of 1600mhz ram but u need a good GPU somthing likle the 7970ghz edition £350 i suggest you think about a good GPu before thinking about 8 gigs of ram considering your gpu has its own ram of 3 gigs if u buy the 7970 gl with your choice

ikameozero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
you really need to list your system specs also when posting about stuff like this because if your CPu is not good enough then that could kill your fps

reconciliasion

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
depends what res your running/graphics...

you could run minecraft on minimum with 64GB's of ram and it would still lag.
its all in the game...

4GB of DDR3 at 1600Mhz would perform well in a vehicle simulator/racing game where theres cars and maps...

4gb of ddr3 at 1600mhz would just cope running a f-p-s like battlefield or crysis where theres explosions and lighting and bullets...

Ultimate117

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Do not listen to this person. First of all, you will rarely push toward 6gb of usage, depending on what you're running and to what extent. For a FPS like Crysis or Battlefield, what's more important is your GPU and processor. Effects such as gunshots, lighting, etc are handled by the GPU, so it's worth investing in products with good VRAM and such. Nothing under 1gb, and don't buy a product entirely off of its VRAM, there are other important factors in a GPU.

Do not use Minecraft as a benchmark for your computer's performance, that's just a completely awful idea. It runs off of the horrible platform known as Java, and should be shunned as a benchmarking tool of all things. This game would run at a massive FPS if it used the same languages that studio games use. You can get a crappy dual-core pentium to handle it very well.

Go with 4gb and up to 6 if you need to. 1333 or 1600 mhz will do fine, don't go higher than that. Processor and GPU are just (if not more) important in the end, sorry to say.