Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I am in serious need of advice here.

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 28, 2010 4:15:17 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 2-3 weeks...

BUDGET RANGE: $1500- $1700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Encoding, General use, programming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:p ossibly the GPU, 4890, although it is

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, zipzoomfly, buy.com, tigerdirect; anything else really.

PARTS PREFERENCES: ASUS for Mobos, maybe an EVGA.

OVERCLOCKING: Absolutely SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:


All right, so I am in heavy quarrel over what to build. I have spent the last few days looking at dozens of motherboards, and I have settled upon a couple of choices.
The budget is ~$1500-$1700

First, the X58 platform...
I am definately aiming for the newly released i7 930. These are the motherboard choices.


ASUS P6T

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Combo price : 503$

ASUS P6TD Deluxe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Combo Price: 543$

Now for the Lynnfield, I definately like that i7 860 as the sweet spot. I was looking at the

ASUS WS SuperComputer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Combo Price: $481.98 (With the 860 of course.


Acquired information:
The X58 platform overclocks much better, especially with tthe D0 revision, and requiring less voltages than the 860 simultaneously. Thus, since I really want to overclock to 4.2GHz on air, is this major? Also, I do like the fact that Lynfield is Dual Channel because I want to have 2 x 4GB modules, as they are very affordable, compared to the memory modules from Bloomfield.

I do plan on Putting in 2 GPUs, so if you pick a lynnfield, it shiould have a NF200 chip in it. Now since I have the money, I can simply opt for the ASUS P6TD, but I just do not want to invest so much in a platform that will be obsolete in just a few years. In any case, I would like to have 4.0GHz + and x16/x16. I currently have a 4890, and plan on buying a second one for CF.


I am building this system from scratch (Except the GPU)

I am open to all suggestions. My resolution will be 1920x1080, and I Intend to Game, Multi-Task, Encode Media, general use.

Now after this descision, I can proceed to build the rest.

I plan to build this within the next month; I will wait around to see what Fermi can do before I opt for CF though.

Thank's in advace.


Side Note: I currently have a E6750 @ 3.2GHz with a Gigabyte P35. Should I buy a Q9550 for now to keep me satisfied and wait for Sandy Bridge to come out next year? Or will I always be stuck in the waiting game if I take that approach?

More about : advice

February 28, 2010 4:19:45 PM

Start with the Sticky on requesting a new build at the top of the page.

There is a lot more information needed before anyone can give you a valid answer or suggestion as to wish way you should go.

m
0
l
February 28, 2010 4:27:04 PM

osu43130 said:
Start with the Sticky on requesting a new build at the top of the page.

There is a lot more information needed before anyone can give you a valid answer or suggestion as to wish way you should go.

I accidentally hit the post button before i was done, sorry.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 28, 2010 4:33:31 PM

Whats the budget?

m
0
l
February 28, 2010 4:48:34 PM

All right I updated the format.
m
0
l
February 28, 2010 4:53:19 PM

1700 bucks you need to ditch that card and get a 5970 with an i5 750 build or build a 920.

Ill find my i5 build and post it in a sec.

BRB

Sorry meant to put 860 instead of i5-750.

Here is a great build for a decent price.

HD5970 = $650

HAF 922 $80 after MIR

Seagate 7200.12 500GB $55

Antec true power 650 $130

Corsair CL7 1600 sticks $115 or the comparable GSKills for the same price

Hyper 212 plus and Optical $45

I7-860 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128417 $411

Windows 7 64 bit $105

Total before MIR = $1612 after MIR $1592

And Yes that MOBO does not support Xfire but you will not need Xfire with the 5970 and will be able to play any game out there at the highest settings for long time. By the time that GPU is not cutting it you will want the newer cards anyways.
m
0
l
February 28, 2010 5:02:28 PM

osu43130 said:
1700 bucks you need to ditch that card and get a 5970 with an i5 750 build or build a 920.

Ill find my i5 build and post it in a sec.

BRB



Wow I certaintly was not thinking that high, :o  .
I would like to see what Fermi will do before I commit to anything GPU related, which is why I am stuck quarelling over what platform to get. :heink: 
m
0
l
February 28, 2010 5:35:45 PM

You said you could hit the 1700 mark so I gave you a build that is less with a 5970 and the 860 you liked... :kaola: 

Could always keep your 4890 and go i7-920 or the 930 when it comes out.
m
0
l
February 28, 2010 6:11:42 PM

Yes I can hit the 1700 mark, lol, but that doesn't mean I am not looking to save money. You see I am a big believer in not investing so much in a system, because of the fact that technology advances so quickly. A system can become obsolete in just a few years, so the future-proof belief is null. Wow does that system really fall beneath 1700? That 5970 cost an arm and both legs...
Thanks for your replies OSU43130; they are highly appreciated.
m
0
l
March 1, 2010 12:43:38 AM

osu43130 said:
You said you could hit the 1700 mark so I gave you a build that is less with a 5970 and the 860 you liked... :kaola: 

Could always keep your 4890 and go i7-920 or the 930 when it comes out.


Hmmm the 930 was released today actually, and I think that with the price difference beeing less than 20$ for an extra multi, I would certaintly jump ship for it.
m
0
l
March 1, 2010 12:22:50 PM

I have not read anything on the 930 yet so I can not really say much about it.

As far as the 5970 goes yes it is expensive but you will never have to xfire it as well as you will not need a new GPU until you are ready to build again.
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 5:28:08 AM

I decided on the Asus P6TD Deluxe....and after observing some benchmarks....adding another 4890 for <$200 will increase perfomance much higher than upgrading to a 5870. however, I will definately stick around to see what GF100 will do before I make my choice.
m
0
l
!