Sign in with
Your question

7950 overclocked display driver stopped working

Last response: in Overclocking
December 19, 2012 8:43:59 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a weird problem. I have a gigabyte 7950 windforce 3. I love the card, it's quiet and really cool. hardly ever break 65 degrees even when overclocked and full load.

I overclocked it to 1180 core clock and 1450 memory.
Most of the time it works great and i can play lengthy play sessions with it on say metro 2033 with everything maxed out or shogun 2 maxed out or even witcher 2. But for some reason, when overclocked, sometimes my games stop working. Those i just said work fine most of the time, a lot better when overclocked actually. But other less demanding games like xcom or fallout NV send me an error saying the game stopped working. My computer never freezes and sometimes it says: display driver stopped working, has recovered.

There doesn't seem to be much harm done but some games just won't launch until i set the clock to default. But then again, why would much more demanding games run just fine overclocked? Seems like the driver has a hard time handling the overclocking or something like that. Last but not least, some of these games just send the error message that the game has stopped working righ when i click to start the game. not even the logos and everything just stopped working on the first click. But they work when i set the clock to normal.

On an other note. My cpu is overclocked too. 3 cores out of 4 are at about 32/33 Idle. But core #2 is averaging 38-41. I checked, the heatsink is all good, verry steady and well seated. i heard the intel sensor wasn't accurate on every core because it didn't need to. Is that so? and is it dangerous?

My rig:
Asrock, z77pro4-m
Corsair force gt 120 last firmware
2x seagate barracuda 1200.12 500GB RAID 1
gigabyte windforce 3 7950
I5 3570K @ 4.4 GHZ with h20 620
antec earthwatt 500W PSU
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2012 8:57:35 PM

this is normal. some games will find the instability better then others. your overclock isnt stable. you need to lower the clocks a little.
a c 151 U Graphics card
a c 125 K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 2:45:46 AM

1150MHz is perfectly fine... That should give you full stability if you have enough V's coursing through those chips.

Lets hope you don't get coil whine on that windforce x3.
Related resources
December 22, 2012 1:51:00 AM

Novuake said:
1150MHz is perfectly fine... That should give you full stability if you have enough V's coursing through those chips.

Lets hope you don't get coil whine on that windforce x3.

What's coil whine? For now it's really silent, had 3 radeon cards before in the 5000 serie. So far this one is the best i've had. Love it.
a c 151 U Graphics card
a c 125 K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 2:21:55 AM

bigbadwill said:
What's coil whine? For now it's really silent, had 3 radeon cards before in the 5000 serie. So far this one is the best i've had. Love it.

Then you are fine, some of them have horrible coil whine...
!