Sign in with
Your question

Intel SRT resume from sleep mode issue

Last response: in Storage
March 13, 2012 11:34:05 PM

I've got SRT caching (Intel Smart Response Technology) working on my Asrock Z68-Pro3-M board (60G Vertext SSD + 1TB Samsung F3 HDD) - all is working fine & I'm very happy with the results (in enhanced mode) however I've had to disable HDD power downs on sleep mode or I get a cache error on resume from sleep.

I'm assuming the SRT doesn't allow drive power downs during sleep but I'm unable to find any hard documentation on this.

Does anyone have any insight on this problem or can point me in the direction for some support documentation (I've tried trawling the Intel support sites) ?

This is my work machine (not gaming) & I often leave it running while I'm out & about so I usually have it go to sleep after 20 mins of inactivity.
March 24, 2012 4:38:09 AM

shovel said:
I've got SRT caching (Intel Smart Response Technology) working on my Asrock Z68-Pro3-M board (60G Vertext SSD + 1TB Samsung F3 HDD) - all is working fine & I'm very happy with the results (in enhanced mode) however I've had to disable HDD power downs on sleep mode or I get a cache error on resume from sleep.

I'm assuming the SRT doesn't allow drive power downs during sleep but I'm unable to find any hard documentation on this.

Does anyone have any insight on this problem or can point me in the direction for some support documentation (I've tried trawling the Intel support sites) ?

This is my work machine (not gaming) & I often leave it running while I'm out & about so I usually have it go to sleep after 20 mins of inactivity.

OK, I might have solved my own problem: (It's been a few days & resume from sleep has worked ok every time).

Even though I've modified the windows power profile so the drivers are always powered I was still getting an SRT SSD failure issue coming out of sleep.

This link - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-p... explains that it is probably the AHCI link power management setting (which I believe also applies to the SRT cache drive in raid mode).

I did the registry tweak that enabled the AHCI link otion under power settings and then set it to "ACTIVE" - now my computer goes to sleep AND resumes OK.

m
l
April 4, 2012 8:17:16 AM

OK, as a further additional info - I'm now getting random drops of the cache volume - doesn't appear to be sleep/power related now as I was using the system. Happens maybe once a week...

When it works it's great - especially for running visual studio/programming/general windows stuff... I'm determined to track down the problem...
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2012 3:58:01 AM

:) 
Success, did an upgrade to the latest bios (said there were raid changes) on my mobo & now everything is working perfectly.

Finally SRT is working as advertised!!!

Fast windows boots....
Fast Visual Studio compilations...
Fast day to day usage...
m
l
April 19, 2012 3:48:11 PM

shovel said:
:) 
Success, did an upgrade to the latest bios (said there were raid changes) on my mobo & now everything is working perfectly.

Finally SRT is working as advertised!!!

Fast windows boots....
Fast Visual Studio compilations...
Fast day to day usage...

Glad (not sure glad is the right word) to see that I was not the only one experiencing this.

I also have an Asrock Z68 board (Z68-Extreme 4 Gen3) and was having the same issues. Every once in a while my SSD cache would vanish completely from the Intel Storage control panel and I would get a warning that my physical volume was no longer accelerated. This was particularly annoying as all of the ties that it happened was around when I started seeing actual improvements from running the cache for a long time.

I searched all over the place but nobody else seemed to be having this issue, so thank you for finding it, fixing it and reporting it on here. I will go ahead and update my BIOS and see if that helps.

I did have a question though; after you updated your BIOS, did you reverse your AHCI registry tweak or is that also still active?

I am trying to get this working as well as possible, thanks!
m
l
April 20, 2012 6:52:26 AM

Bamfhammer said:
Glad (not sure glad is the right word) to see that I was not the only one experiencing this.

I also have an Asrock Z68 board (Z68-Extreme 4 Gen3) and was having the same issues. Every once in a while my SSD cache would vanish completely from the Intel Storage control panel and I would get a warning that my physical volume was no longer accelerated. This was particularly annoying as all of the ties that it happened was around when I started seeing actual improvements from running the cache for a long time.

I searched all over the place but nobody else seemed to be having this issue, so thank you for finding it, fixing it and reporting it on here. I will go ahead and update my BIOS and see if that helps.

I did have a question though; after you updated your BIOS, did you reverse your AHCI registry tweak or is that also still active?

I am trying to get this working as well as possible, thanks!

I'm sad to say it's not fixed completely (still heaps better), I still lose the drive maybe once every week or so. Doesn't matter if I am using the PC or it's sitting idle or some other scenario. I just get an RST warning that the SRT drive has stopped working.
I need to release, make active & turn back on SRT caching again. It's a bit of a pain but as I use my machine a lot for working from home - it still makes a big difference.

No need to re-tweak the AHCI registry, after the bios upgrade just make sure your settings are still the same as before (my drives were set in RAID mode) - this is what they were before the bios upgrade.

Honestly - I don't know where to go from here. It was a cheap experiment for me to see what SSD's were like & if caching would work. My windows boot times were halved (or less). Compiling in Visual Studio seems near instant & generalyy things whiz along faster.

The beauty of SRT is no mucking around with moving the OS or managing file locations. Also because I only use enhance mode, when it plays up I lose nothing...

Good luck! (Let me know if you discover any more info - it's hard to find.)

m
l
April 27, 2012 6:38:53 AM

Ok, the ongoing saga - things got so bad yesterday (lost drive every few hours) here were the errors.

RST/SRT error: Disk on port 0: Failed
Windows Event error: The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

So all this tells me is the SSD drive on port 0 stopped working...

So that afternoon I swapped BOTH the power & the sata connections between my 2 drives (on ports 0 & 1).
HDD is now on port 0
SSD is now on port 1

It's been one day & no errors... will report back in a week.

PS - the SSD sata cable connection did seem a bit wonky - maybe, we'll see.

m
l
April 27, 2012 2:19:37 PM

I have always had my SDD on port 0 and HDD on port 1.

I updated the BIOS and I also changed the power settings in the BIOS after the update.

I am running in enhanced mode and I have not had problems since then, however my problems were never that bad either.
m
l
May 4, 2012 5:32:41 AM

It's been a week and not one failure so far & I've used the PC heaps.

I really think it might have been a dodgy sata connection/vibration issue - these sata data connections don't seem very robust on the SSD drive end.

Either that or swapping from port 0 to 1 made some sort of difference.
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:38:17 AM

It's a little over 2 weeks & the problem just happened again - this time I had the PC turned on doing a virus scan - came back a few hours later & the same old error - the SSD on port 1 stopped working. The system had been sitting idle for a decent period - I still think this is some software issue/bug/setting with the Intel RST/SRT system & dile/sleep/inactivity times...

Error Events:
Application - "Disk on port 1: Failed."
System - "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

OK, to quote Dirty Harry: "a man's gotta know his limitations" - so I've officially given up - I've wasted more time trying to sort this out than it's worth. I'm chalking it up to just one of those things...

If anyone else had this issue - my condolences - :sweat: 
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 542 G Storage
May 13, 2012 1:49:23 AM

Have you been to the OCZ Support Forums?
m
l
May 23, 2012 2:17:54 AM

Dereck47 said:
Have you been to the OCZ Support Forums?

Yes, but no luck searching current messages - I may post one myself soon.

However, I'm not %100 sure it is the drive (could be Mobo/Bios)?

I've definately reduced how often it happens & using the SSD as a cache drive in "enhanced mode" means I don't lose
anything when the issue happens - so I'm living with it.

Did another F/W update on the SSD - but problem has happened once since them...

m
l
!