Sign in with
Your question

Need help in choosing a cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
December 19, 2012 9:11:47 PM

I need help in choosing a cooler for my i5 3570k i would like to overclock it to 4.5 ghz. I would really appreaciate any help or recommendations. Sorry for bad english

More about : choosing cooler

a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 12:53:47 AM

Well depends on your budget, the Hyper 212 EVO would work but you will be receiving temperatures a bit on the high side. Now if money was not a factor then grab the Phanteks cooler linked below.

212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Phanteks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or if you want to pursue higher clocks, assuming you have a stable chip then you may want to step into custom watercooling territory. Not closed water loop cooling like the Kuhler 620, 920 or the Corsair H50,H60, H80. The H100 is a viable option though, but it is quite pricy.

Edit: Forgot to mention, do state your computer case. The computer case needs to have a certain width to fit those air coolers and a 240mm slot if you want the H100.
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 2:42:14 AM

+1 to the Hyper 212.. But replace the dang fan on it with a pair of more powerful fans. The Hyper212 is very potent for the price and with a pair of quality high powered fans; it performs close to the potential of the Noctua D14. That is what my second choice would be but the 212 is $20 on newegg after a rebate while the D14 is over $80. I'll stick to the 212 if it was me. :)  It's the single best Price/Performance HSF out there today. It costs a quick twenty spot and is very potent.
Related resources
December 20, 2012 10:43:01 AM

I have a fractal design core 3000 case so a h100 should fit what eould the tems be at 4.5 ghz with a 212 and what would they be with a h100i
December 20, 2012 7:40:34 PM

steddora said:
+1 to the Hyper 212.. But replace the dang fan on it with a pair of more powerful fans. The Hyper212 is very potent for the price and with a pair of quality high powered fans; it performs close to the potential of the Noctua D14. That is what my second choice would be but the 212 is $20 on newegg after a rebate while the D14 is over $80. I'll stick to the 212 if it was me. :)  It's the single best Price/Performance HSF out there today. It costs a quick twenty spot and is very potent.

What fans would you recommend as a replacement?
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 8:47:55 PM

There's quite a few excellent fans out there. For the "normal" user I'd recommend something like the Scythe 120mm's. I personally use a pair of FM121 Silverstones that run at 110CFM@2400RPM. Problem with my fans is without a place to mount the fan controller or modification; you have them running at 100% all the time which makes for a LOUD system.

Shop around for a fan that fits your needs. My fans rate at 45dB at max speed which is LOUD. Maybe find something with decent CFM rating and low dB ratings for a quite PC. :) 
December 20, 2012 10:27:55 PM

steddora said:
There's quite a few excellent fans out there. For the "normal" user I'd recommend something like the Scythe 120mm's. I personally use a pair of FM121 Silverstones that run at 110CFM@2400RPM. Problem with my fans is without a place to mount the fan controller or modification; you have them running at 100% all the time which makes for a LOUD system.

Shop around for a fan that fits your needs. My fans rate at 45dB at max speed which is LOUD. Maybe find something with decent CFM rating and low dB ratings for a quite PC. :) 

Thanks for the info. I found the Coolermaster Excalibur 120mm PWM Case Fan. Im going to put two of those on a hyper 212 evo as they have a good airflow (CFM 26.4 - 85.6) and a 4 pin connector so they can be controlled via the motherboard.
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 10:39:22 PM

Good call my friend. Good call. I have heard of those, they are a tad loud from what I have heard but good fans. They aren't quite as bad as my Silverstones but the chances they hit 100% are slim. :) 
!