WalMart and jpeg printing

Last response: in Digital Camera
November 28, 2004 1:52:17 AM

On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to jpeg
and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later she
called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right." I
have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't help
me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to see
it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem. While
on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message. But
it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went to
my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I could
see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?

More about : walmart jpeg printing

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:52:18 AM

In article <nosredna-3F9B57.22521727112004@news.isp.giganews.com>,
nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote:

> On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to jpeg
> and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
> into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later she
> called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right." I
> have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't help
> me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to see
> it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem. While
> on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
> error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
> it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message. But
> it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
> course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went to
> my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
> but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I could
> see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
> never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
> tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?

Some versions of Windoze can't handle the Mac-specific data that's added
to a CD even though it's perfectly within specifications.

Try Shutterfly. You can create, preview, address, and order your
Christmas cards online.

http://www.shutterfly.com
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:52:18 AM

"nosredna" <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote in message
> I burned a new CD and went to
> my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
> but I didn't do a test print.

By not doing a test print, you kept yourself from learning the answer.
That would have given you a starting point to determine what the problem
was, and also whether the problem was unique to her Wal Mart.

(Am I correct in assuming that if I could
> see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
> never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
> tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?

Make sure to submit it as an RGB file...NOT a CMYK.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:59:12 AM

nosredna wrote:
> On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to jpeg
> and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
> into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later she
> called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right." I
> have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't help
> me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to see
> it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem. While
> on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
> error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
> it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message. But
> it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
> course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went to
> my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
> but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I could
> see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
> never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
> tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?

I suspect it is a Mac/Windows problem. While Macs can open PC files, Win
98 and probably WalMart's big machine cannot open Mac files.
Apparently the machine you tried at the customer Kiosk could open the
Mac generated CD. Perhaps it uses something akin to Win Xp.
Win Xp can open Mac files, so that is why your husband's computer was
successful.
If possible, burn the images on a PC and send those to you friend.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:37:25 AM

"nosredna" <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote in message

> ..., but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?

If I understand it correctly, JPEG is always and only RGB. Any
conversion to JPEG would always result in RGB. You shouldn't
have to separately convert it to RGB first.

Furthermore, your computer monitor works in RGB. Someone
please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that
when you view the CMYK image on your screen, your viewing
software has already produced an RGB version of the image.
So you know the software correctly converts CMYK to RGB.

It sounds like there is a file format problem that is not related
to the image itself. JPEG, surprisingly, is not a file format. It's
an image format that goes through further processing to become
a disk file. One disk format that's commonly used for JPEG
is JFIF. But there are others. Maybe that's the problem.

Another possibility is that CDROM readers vary in their ability
to read CDRs. Many older CDROM readers, such as those
on the older Win98 machines, are unable to read CDRs,
only the stamped/manufactured CDs.

Alan
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:38:56 AM

nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> writes:

> On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to jpeg
> and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
> into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later she
> called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right." I
> have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't help
> me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to see
> it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem. While
> on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
> error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
> it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message. But
> it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
> course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went to
> my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
> but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I could
> see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
> never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
> tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?

Yes the color space matters. In my area at least, Walmart uses Fuji machines
for the 1 hour printing, and Kodak dye-subs for the instant prints (which is
more expensive). For the Fuji machines, you want to make sure the JPG is in
the sRGB color space (evidently most/all of the Fuji machines ignore any color
space indications in the EXIF header).

After some bad prints, I have been stopped printing at Walmart, since they now
crank up the auto-correction and boost the saturation which took pictures that
used to print fine and now turn them into garish ugly prints (presumably the
majority of prints they deal with look better with this, or else everybody else
thinks they do). However, you may be able to request them not to do any
corrections. If I don't print it myself, I will send out my pictures to
mpix.com (shutterfly.com and ezprints.com are other places that I like).

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

In article <mcmurtri-AF35BB.20251027112004@corp-radius.supernews.com>,
Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> In article <nosredna-3F9B57.22521727112004@news.isp.giganews.com>,
> nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote:
>
> > On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to jpeg
> > and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
> > into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later she
> > called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right." I
> > have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't help
> > me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to see
> > it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem. While
> > on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
> > error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
> > it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message. But
> > it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
> > course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went to
> > my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
> > but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I could
> > see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
> > never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
> > tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> > cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> > does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?
>
> Some versions of Windoze can't handle the Mac-specific data that's added
> to a CD even though it's perfectly within specifications.
>
> Try Shutterfly. You can create, preview, address, and order your
> Christmas cards online.
>
> http://www.shutterfly.com

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not the one who's doing
cards--the friend is. I reconverted the tiff file to jpeg, but I did it
from an RGB version this time. After all that, I read on another thread
that some PCs and photo machines can't read a file if it has *lower
case* .jpg suffix instead of .JPG! Oh well, I used lower case--I don't
want to burn another CD at this point.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:02:17 AM

In article <HvadncLXXNx0yDTcRVn-vQ@comcast.com>,
"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "nosredna" <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote in message
>
> > ..., but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> > cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> > does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?
>
> If I understand it correctly, JPEG is always and only RGB. Any
> conversion to JPEG would always result in RGB. You shouldn't
> have to separately convert it to RGB first.
>
> Furthermore, your computer monitor works in RGB. Someone
> please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that
> when you view the CMYK image on your screen, your viewing
> software has already produced an RGB version of the image.
> So you know the software correctly converts CMYK to RGB.
>
> It sounds like there is a file format problem that is not related
> to the image itself. JPEG, surprisingly, is not a file format. It's
> an image format that goes through further processing to become
> a disk file. One disk format that's commonly used for JPEG
> is JFIF. But there are others. Maybe that's the problem.
>
> Another possibility is that CDROM readers vary in their ability
> to read CDRs. Many older CDROM readers, such as those
> on the older Win98 machines, are unable to read CDRs,
> only the stamped/manufactured CDs.
>
> Alan

It doesn't appear that "any conversion to jpeg would always result in
RGB," since, according to Photoshop's Mode menu, the jpeg is definitely
CMYK, presumably because I converted from a CMYK tiff. Normally I keep
my tiffs in RGB and do a "save as" if I ever need a CMYK version, but
for some crazy reason I didn't keep the RGB version of the photo in
question, and didn't think to check its color mode before converting.
The PCs I tested it in (the far away friend's who needs the jpeg and my
daughter's Win98 machine) could read the CDR but couldn't open the jpeg.
But my husband's PC (WinXP) could open the jpeg.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 7:37:04 AM

I had a situation where a client several hundred miles away needed some
photos. I didn't have time to print and ship so I uploaded them to Wal-Mart
and had them printed at a Wal-Mart photo center near them. Worked as far as
that goes...hated being able to upload only 4 at a time and they gave the
client a bit of a hard time as the photos looked professional...as they
should.

So...why don't you upload the jpg and let her order them? She could have the
printed near her home.

> In article <mcmurtri-AF35BB.20251027112004@corp-radius.supernews.com>,
> Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <nosredna-3F9B57.22521727112004@news.isp.giganews.com>,
> > nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to
jpeg
> > > and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
> > > into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later
she
> > > called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right."
> > > have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't
help
> > > me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to
see
> > > it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem.
While
> > > on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
> > > error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
> > > it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message.
But
> > > it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
> > > course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went
> > > my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
> > > but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I
could
> > > see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
> > > never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
> > > tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> > > cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> > > does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?
> >
> > Some versions of Windoze can't handle the Mac-specific data that's added
> > to a CD even though it's perfectly within specifications.
> >
> > Try Shutterfly. You can create, preview, address, and order your
> > Christmas cards online.
> >
> > http://www.shutterfly.com
>
> Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not the one who's doing
> cards--the friend is. I reconverted the tiff file to jpeg, but I did it
> from an RGB version this time. After all that, I read on another thread
> that some PCs and photo machines can't read a file if it has *lower
> case* .jpg suffix instead of .JPG! Oh well, I used lower case--I don't
> want to burn another CD at this point.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:10:40 AM

nosredna wrote:
> In article <mcmurtri-AF35BB.20251027112004@corp-radius.supernews.com>,
> Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>

>>In article <nosredna-3F9B57.22521727112004@news.isp.giganews.com>,
>> nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote:
>>

>>>On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to jpeg
>>>and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
>>>into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later she
>>>called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right." I
>>>have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't help
>>>me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to see
>>>it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem. While
>>>on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
>>>error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
>>>it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message. But
>>>it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
>>>course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went to
>>>my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
>>>but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I could
>>>see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
>>>never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
>>>tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
>>>cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
>>>does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?
>>
>>Some versions of Windoze can't handle the Mac-specific data that's added
>>to a CD even though it's perfectly within specifications.
>>
>>Try Shutterfly. You can create, preview, address, and order your
>>Christmas cards online.
>>
>>http://www.shutterfly.com
>

> Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not the one who's doing
> cards--the friend is. I reconverted the tiff file to jpeg, but I did it
> from an RGB version this time. After all that, I read on another thread
> that some PCs and photo machines can't read a file if it has *lower
> case* .jpg suffix instead of .JPG! Oh well, I used lower case--I don't
> want to burn another CD at this point.

Hi...

If it was case sensitive Walmart would have said there
are no pictures on the cd, instead of they don't look
right :)

However - just a thought - seeing she's a distance away,
and time for Christmas cards is getting close, why don't
you experiment a little and email your tests to her.
(even if she doesn't have a computer and/or email, surely
a neighbor or friend would help her out)

Then she can print them for a test - doesn't have to be
more expensive Christmas cards, just test with everyday
25 cent or so prints.

Ken
November 28, 2004 8:58:12 AM

"Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
> nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> writes:
>
>> On my Macintosh, I converted a friend's wedding photo from tiff to jpeg
>> and burned it to a CD for a friend so she could have WalMart make it
>> into Christmas cards. I mailed it off to her, and three weeks later she
>> called and said WalMart did a test print and it "doesn't look right." I
>> have no idea what she means; her description over the phone didn't help
>> me at all. (She lives several hours away, so I can't just drop by to see
>> it.) She said she took it to KMart and Staples also--same problem. While
>> on the phone I suggested she try opening it on her PC, but she got an
>> error message ("jpeg file has errors" or something like that). I tried
>> it in my daughter's Windows 98 PC and I get the same error message. But
>> it opens fine on my husband's PC at work (with Windows XP). And of
>> course it opens and prints fine on my Mac. I burned a new CD and went to
>> my local WalMart to test it. It showed up on the photo machine screen,
>> but I didn't do a test print. (Am I correct in assuming that if I could
>> see it on the WalMart screen it would probably print correctly? I've
>> never used one of those photo machines.) I plan to mail it to her
>> tomorrow, but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
>> cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
>> does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?
>
> Yes the color space matters. In my area at least, Walmart uses Fuji
> machines
> for the 1 hour printing, and Kodak dye-subs for the instant prints (which
> is
> more expensive). For the Fuji machines, you want to make sure the JPG is
> in
> the sRGB color space (evidently most/all of the Fuji machines ignore any
> color
> space indications in the EXIF header).
>
> After some bad prints, I have been stopped printing at Walmart, since they
> now
> crank up the auto-correction and boost the saturation which took pictures
> that
> used to print fine and now turn them into garish ugly prints (presumably
> the
> majority of prints they deal with look better with this, or else everybody
> else
> thinks they do). However, you may be able to request them not to do any
> corrections. If I don't print it myself, I will send out my pictures to
> mpix.com (shutterfly.com and ezprints.com are other places that I like).
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Not able to read the JPG:
Make sure the JPGs are NOT saved as progressive format. It's a special
format for the web browser mainly.

And last, to get a better color matching, you should convert the JPG to the
target color profile for that particular store which might be found here:
http://drycreekphoto.com/. Using sRGB is safe but you might not utilize all
the capability of that printer. Attaching the ICC profiles to JPG does NOT
work.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 10:49:16 AM

My wife brought a cd with pictures (copied from the CF card to the cd with
Windows Explorer - XP Pro) taken on a Cannon S50, to Kinko's and they said they
couldn't print them. I can't imagine why.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 10:59:45 AM

GWB wrote:
>My wife brought a cd with pictures (copied from the CF card to the cd with
>Windows Explorer - XP Pro) taken on a Cannon S50, to Kinko's and they said
>they
>couldn't print them. I can't imagine why.

I guess you know that this copy operation will not work. You need to use a CD
recording program to burn files to a CD.

---Bob Gross---
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 12:05:59 PM

"Robertwgross" <robertwgross@cs.com> wrote in message
> GWB wrote:
> >My wife brought a cd with pictures (copied from the CF card to the cd
with
> >Windows Explorer - XP Pro) taken on a Cannon S50, to Kinko's and they
said
> >they
> >couldn't print them. I can't imagine why.
>
> I guess you know that this copy operation will not work. You need to use a
CD
> recording program to burn files to a CD.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Except....that it does work...sort of. With WinXP a user can copy to a CDR
drive and use the built-in burner software. The poster doesn't say that he
did this...but the Kinko operator didn't say the disc was empty....they said
they could not print what was on the disc.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 12:48:32 PM

Bob Gross says:
>>I guess you know that this copy operation will not work. You need to use a CD
recording program to burn files to a CD.<<

No, I didn't know that. If they could print a picture from the CF card, why
can't they print the same file copied from the CF to a cd? The pictures are
viewable from the cd.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 6:29:51 PM

GWB wrote:
> Bob Gross says:
>
>>>I guess you know that this copy operation will not work. You need to use a CD
>
> recording program to burn files to a CD.<<
>

> No, I didn't know that. If they could print a picture from the CF card, why
> can't they print the same file copied from the CF to a cd? The pictures are
> viewable from the cd.

Try another Kinko's.

Back to the OP:

One possibility is the operator made prints of the thumbnails. These
aren't even viewable on most Mac setups, but can appear first on the CD
when read by Windows boxes. An ignorant- call it inexperienced if you
will- operator might not know that, and never get to the higher res. jpegs.

--

John McWilliams
Anonymous

John McWilliams wrote:

> One possibility is the operator made prints of the thumbnails. These
> aren't even viewable on most Mac setups, but can appear first on the
> CD when read by Windows boxes. An ignorant- call it inexperienced if
> you will- operator might not know that, and never get to the higher
> res. jpegs.

Yep, this happened to me once. Who would have thought that the kiosks don't
do NEF's even though they display them clearly? I paid for a bunch of
prints and got back a bunch of distorted checkerboard prints from the
thumbnails. When I converted them to JPG I was happy.

Rita
--
http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/
Anonymous

In article <10qk0g511fgn9d6@news.supernews.com>,
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04@aol.com> wrote:

> John McWilliams wrote:
> >
> > One possibility is the operator made prints of the thumbnails. These
> > aren't even viewable on most Mac setups, but can appear first on the
> > CD when read by Windows boxes. An ignorant- call it inexperienced if
> > you will- operator might not know that, and never get to the higher
> > res. jpegs.
>
> Yep, this happened to me once. Who would have thought that the kiosks don't
> do NEF's even though they display them clearly? I paid for a bunch of
> prints and got back a bunch of distorted checkerboard prints from the
> thumbnails. When I converted them to JPG I was happy.
>

> Rita

Oh, boy, that sounds disturbingly like the description my friend gave
over the phone. She said something like, "There are just some black
lines." Between her lack of graphics knowledge and (perhaps) an
experienced photo machine operator, who knows what happened! I might go
to KMart (WalMart is too far for me to spend that much time on this) and
have one print made from the CD and send it to my friend as proof that
the CD and jpeg are fine.
Thanks to all who helped out with this issue.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 7:27:45 PM

<< I reconverted the tiff file to jpeg, but I did it
from an RGB version this time. After all that, I read on another thread
that some PCs and photo machines can't read a file if it has *lower
case* .jpg suffix instead of .JPG! Oh well, I used lower case--I don't
want to burn another CD at this point. >>

Nosredna-

Are you using OS X? When saving a file, OS X saves two. One is prefixed with
an underscore, as I recall. When viewed by a windows machine, the ones with
the underscore are usually first on the list. They will NOT open on the
windows machines I've tried, although XT may know how to handle them. (Upper
and lower case should make no difference.)

I have often shared photos via CDs, memory sticks and file servers, and the
underscore is frequently the cause of trouble. I've learned to burn the CDs
using Toast under OS 9 wherever possible!

Try this:

A) Be sure you use a CD format windows understands, such as ISO 9660.

B) Be sure the person opening the CD knows to ignore any files beginning with
a non-alpha character.

Otherwise, there may be a difference between the way a photo looks on a monitor
and the way it looks printed. That could explain a test print not looking
right, even though it looks good on your monitor.

Fred
November 28, 2004 9:56:50 PM

> In article <10qk0g511fgn9d6@news.supernews.com>,
> "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> John McWilliams wrote:
>> >
>> > One possibility is the operator made prints of the thumbnails. These
>> > aren't even viewable on most Mac setups, but can appear first on the
>> > CD when read by Windows boxes. An ignorant- call it inexperienced if
>> > you will- operator might not know that, and never get to the higher
>> > res. jpegs.
>>
>> Yep, this happened to me once. Who would have thought that the kiosks
>> don't
>> do NEF's even though they display them clearly? I paid for a bunch of
>> prints and got back a bunch of distorted checkerboard prints from the
>> thumbnails. When I converted them to JPG I was happy.
>>

>> Rita

It looks like you need to use a real CD burning program such as TOAST that
makes standard ISO CD format, rather than drag and drop the files on CD. MAC
OSX left lots of hidden files whereever it touches - on PC via filesharing
too. I hate having to clean up the garbage that OSX left afterward so I ONLY
access the MAC from the PC instead.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:56:51 PM

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> "nosredna" <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote in message
>> In article <10qk0g511fgn9d6@news.supernews.com>,

>>> Yep, this happened to me once. Who would have thought that the
>>> kiosks don't
>>> do NEF's even though they display them clearly? I paid for a
>>> bunch of
>>> prints and got back a bunch of distorted checkerboard prints from
>>> the
>>> thumbnails. When I converted them to JPG I was happy.
>>>

>>> Rita
>

> It looks like you need to use a real CD burning program such as
> TOAST that makes standard ISO CD format, rather than drag and drop
> the files on CD. MAC OSX left lots of hidden files whereever it
> touches - on PC via filesharing too. I hate having to clean up the
> garbage that OSX left afterward so I ONLY access the MAC from the PC
> instead.

I realize that this is not addressing the problem of using a MAC but
jpegs made on a PC under Windows XP and simply copied to a CD-R seem
to give me no trouble (actually, CD-RWs also work.) I have had the
most satisfactory results with MotoPhoto around here tho' they are not
quite as cheap as Walmart, if you ignore their membership fee. The
staff will assist you but using their disc readers is simple enough.
One minor problem is that they can't handle miniature CDs.

An apology to Leo if he got his own private copy :-) I hit the wrong
button!

James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 9:35:29 PM

> In article <HvadncLXXNx0yDTcRVn-vQ@comcast.com>,
> "Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > "nosredna" <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > ..., but I just remembered that I converted to jpeg from a (tiff)
> > > cmyk file. Should I have converted it from the RGB version instead--or
> > > does the color space not matter when converting to jpeg?
> >
> > If I understand it correctly, JPEG is always and only RGB. Any
> > conversion to JPEG would always result in RGB. You shouldn't
> > have to separately convert it to RGB first.
> It doesn't appear that "any conversion to jpeg would always result in
> RGB," since, according to Photoshop's Mode menu, the jpeg is definitely
> CMYK, presumably because I converted from a CMYK tiff.

Looks like I didn't understand it correctly. After reading your posting
I did some research and found multiple references to saving CMYK
JPEG encoded images. Sorry for the misinformation I posted. Unfortunately,
it's not the first time I've posted wrong information. I'll have to try
to be more careful in the future.

Alan
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 7:43:53 PM

EZPRINTS is the hardest to use!

Michael Meissner wrote:
> [...]
JPG is in
> the sRGB color space (evidently most/all of the Fuji machines ignore
any color
> space indications in the EXIF header).
>
> After some bad prints, I have been stopped printing at Walmart, since
they now
> crank up the auto-correction and boost the saturation which took
pictures that
> used to print fine and now turn them into garish ugly prints
(presumably the
> majority of prints they deal with look better with this, or else
everybody else
> thinks they do). However, you may be able to request them not to do
any
> corrections. If I don't print it myself, I will send out my pictures
> mpix.com (shutterfly.com and ezprints.com are other places that I

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:10:58 AM

auburn_california@yahoo.com writes:

> EZPRINTS is the hardest to use!

I don't recall it being that much more difficult than the other two selections
I pointed out (shutterfly.com and mpix.com). However, if you find it hard,
there are always other vendors willing to take your money.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:23:01 AM

Try to go there, upload images and choose a calendar. It is the least
intuitive program I have EVER used. Shame on them for not conducting
simple usability testing.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:29:52 AM

auburn_california@yahoo.com writes:

> Try to go there, upload images and choose a calendar. It is the least
> intuitive program I have EVER used. Shame on them for not conducting
> simple usability testing.

I'll take your word for it, since I've only done normal prints.

--
!