1/2 Parts Purchased, First Time Build, Need Advice for Remaining

MarEngineer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next two weeks

BUDGET RANGE: Total: Around $1500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Microsoft Office Suite, ProEngineer, Maple13, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Photoshop CS4, Blue-Ray Movies, Light Gaming (not online)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, OS, Additional parts already purchased see below

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No difference, will most likely buy from local MicroCenter and if not available, online from NewEgg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I want quality parts which will last and probably be able to be used in a future build

OVERCLOCKING: **No**

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: N/A, 24” Samsung monitor, so 1920x 1200?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am finishing up my degree in engineering, so I would like to build a computer which will last a few years and have the capacity to run a few engineering programs like ProE and CFD software. In terms of gaming I do enjoy playing games like MW2 and BioShock, but general do not play online and if I do it is just for fun. I would like system that can be central to my home/apartment, so the capacity to run cable through it to watch TV, decent sound output, etc… Also as you can probably tell this is my first build.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PARTS ALREADY PURCHASED:

CPU: Intel Core i7-860

PSU: Corsair TX 750W

SSD: Intel X-25V 40 GB SSD

HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB

DVD Drive: Lite-ON 24x DVD Writer with Light Scribe

FOR FUN: Corsair H50 Water Cooler

PARTS NEEDED:

MB: Want a good quality brand like Asus, Gigabyte, or EVGA

GRAPHICS CARD: No idea, maybe a 5770 or something smaller until the new Nvidia cards come out?

MEMORY: Thinking Corsair XMS3 4 GB, just general 1.5 v, 1333 memory, not overclocking, so not worried about speed.

CASE: No idea, I need something that will work with the Corsair H50, but I have been looking at everything from the Antec 300 to the Corsair 800D. I would like something black, with a nice clean professional look, maybe a window, looked at the HAF and some antec cases and wasn't too impressed. Looking for something a little more boring, like Lian-Li, Silverstone, Cool Master, and Corsair.

BUDGET: for these remaining parts is around 600$. I was thinking MB around $150, memory $100, GC $200, and case ?? I welcome any comments! Thanks for the help!

***EDIT: I really don't have a budget, I just want good quality parts which will last, be stable, without wasting money.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Looks to be a very nice build, for the rest of the components, I would probably do something like this

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $190

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996782 - Retail - $105 (with mail-in rebate)

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail - $170 (with mail-in rebate)

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $100 (with mail-in rebate)

A good motherboard with SLI and crossfire support, SATA 6 GB and USB 3.

The price on memory is pretty much the same going with 1333 or 1600, so would buy 1600 with good timings.

For longivity I would choose a more capable card, but you did say this was just to tie you over until the release of Fermi cards.

Lastly, a case with plenty of room, good air flow without making much noise, including window as you wanted.

Total comes to 565 so well within your budget.