Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BIOS mod, increase virtual RAM?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 20, 2012 1:03:47 AM

I have an Acer V3 551 8887 laptop. I'd like to increase the amount of virtual RAM my integrated GPU uses. (I play 3d games with 720p graphics, and I have 8gbs of RAM)
Where can I find a modded BIOS that could do this, otherwise, can I make one myself?

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 2:39:10 AM

Let's put this the easiest way I know how. Basically there would need to be an insane following on that model in particular. Then you'd have to have a team who are willing to risk the laptops to do research and development on and not to mention test units just to figure out if the settings work without any harm.

Basically the point here is if you already set it to the max in the BIOS, that's probably all you'll ever get out of it. Modding a BIOS is a LOT of work and there aren't many people out there that even know where to begin on doing such a job.
December 20, 2012 9:10:06 PM

Thanks for your reply... Do you know any other way to increase the RAM shared with my gpu?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 10:02:40 PM

Maybe you could search the model of the card and see if there is any way. I highly doubt it though as most integrated chips have a setable amount in the BIOS and that's it.
m
l
December 21, 2012 2:09:20 PM

So I should search for the model of the graphics card?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 3:17:00 PM

Vram is video ram not virtual ram. On top of the 512mb that it is already taking from your system ram, windows should be sharing 1.5-3gb. You can check how much it is sharing in dxdiag. That is more than the gpu will ever use. More vram is not the issue as the gpu is just too weak.
m
l
December 25, 2012 5:21:51 PM

Quote:
Vram is video ram not virtual ram.

Thanks for the correction.
m
l
December 25, 2012 5:21:59 PM

Best answer selected by alr.
m
l