Sign in with
Your question

Need a Wireless Network Card and Router for Gaming, for my new PC.

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2010 6:40:09 PM

Please recommend a good wireless card for my PC to pick up an internet signal, and a router.

I'm putting together a PC that will total to about $1500 before tax/shipping.

I don't need the very best, just something to replace my aging 7 year old router (hopefully a router that is optimized for gaming, and won't create lag), and a wireless card that won't create more lag for my PC's wireless connection.

This laptop currently only adds maybe 1 to 3 latency when I play games compared to a wired connection, so I'm not worried about getting lag.

This is my PC build topic in case that helps:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

The cost of the wireless card going into the PC will be added to the cost of the PC. The router cost will not.

I plan to buy the parts at http://www.newegg.ca/
February 28, 2010 6:48:24 PM

Btw I made a topic about the same thing in the networking section of the site a while back and got no replies. I was told in the other topic to make a thread here.
Related resources
March 1, 2010 7:05:19 AM

Is there a certain time it would be best to bump?
March 1, 2010 1:19:50 PM

Still don't know how long I should wait between bumps.
March 1, 2010 1:46:39 PM

Paying extra for a "gaming" wireless card and/or router isn't worth the expense. Routers and network cards do not create lag due to crafstmanship or brand or anything, there is simply a delay inherent due to using wireless. You could probably QoS your gaming packets if you wanted to, but generally speaking, the largest bottleneck in online gaming is going to be outside of your control.

Basically any wireless router that meets your other needs will be fine, though you likely want b/g/n at this point. I've personally had good luck with Netgear. Something like this Netgear b/g/n wireless router. I'm having trouble finding a Netgear n-capable wireless card on newegg.ca, but this card is something that you might look at.
March 1, 2010 2:28:28 PM

Ok great, I'll probably end up getting the router and card if noone else can find a better ones on the site.

If anyone thinks either the router or card coldsleep recommended are not the best ones there for the price let me know.
March 1, 2010 3:03:29 PM

You can probably find cheaper, I just recommended Netgear because I've had good luck with them in the past.

My real recommendation is: get an n-capable wireless router and get an n-capable wireless card. Ideally, get them from the same company, as you then know that they're using the same specs, but any recent-ish product should be ok, as wireless-n was finally approved recently.
March 1, 2010 4:06:01 PM

Well as long as the two you recommended would work well together, and there is no better deals on the site, I'll probably go with them.

Do both of those (the card and router) support wireless-n?

I was reading some of the reviews and people were complaining about the card (the speed it was capable of, and the signal strength from what I remember), I don't know if what they were saying was true though.

One of the reviews for the router said something that concerned me as there is one other person using a laptop that probably doesn't support wireless-n, as it's a few years old. This is what they said:

"Pros: I'm sure this is a good device, but Newegg has it mislabled as B/G when it is really N. Here is the product on netgear's website, clearly labled as the "N150 / RANGEMAX 150 WIRELESS ROUTER
WNR1000" - http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/Wire...

Cons: See the Pro above. Just wanted to warn everyone. (I have a B/G adapter in my laptop, and also my PS3 has B/G. These do NOT work well with wireless-N router, it drops the connection every hour or so, and only fix is unplugging router. So, I'm going to exchange this for an older G router.)"
March 1, 2010 7:43:01 PM

Just want to confirm what my 2nd last post asked.

Are both the router and card wireless-n compatible? So the card should be able to manage the full 150Mbps?

Will the other laptop in the house with the older wireless card still work with this router?

Also you mentioned something about QoS, I don't know how that works with routers. In this link that the review above linked me to, the part that says QoS has a check-mark under the area that says Wireless-N 300, but this router goes up to 150Mbps as far as I can see in the specifications.

Here's the link once more:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/Wire...

Should the router and card you showed me be able to use this QoS feature? What are the benefits of this? Is it hard to set up? Does it make sure that there is always a certain amount of bandwidth available to a specific computer or something?

If there is a way to force the router to direct enough bandwidth to a specific computer for gaming (say if someone else is trying to download something at or above the ISP's maximum allowed speed) that could be very helpful.

If everything is good I'll probably get the two parts you showed me.
March 1, 2010 8:17:37 PM

Honestly, if you're not going through too many walls, you could use this Netgear USB wireless-n adapter to go with the router. I generally don't like usb adapters because they don't have as much room for an antenna, but over short distances they're probably fine. This would be my ideal solution, but I didn't find it on newegg.ca.

N was only recently standardized, so for a long time, companies have been selling their interpretations of the specifications. This is why I would recommend trying to get same-brand router & adapter, especially if it says draft-n specifications. If you've had good results with a specific brand, go for that one, it doesn't really matter. You might also try checking cnet.com (or somewhere else) for reviews of specific routers.

I'm not a network guy, so I really don't know a whole lot about QoS, but it should be a basic function of any modern router. You might try checking the manufacturer's specs. The basic function of QoS is to provide priority to one or more types of traffic, so you could (theoretically) reduce the priority of torrents, while increasing the priority of gaming packets. That doesn't mean you can say Computer A always gets 75% of the bandwidth while Computer B always gets 25%.
March 1, 2010 8:44:39 PM

Ok so should I try to find a place to get your ideal solution?

The router appears to support up to 150Mbps, while the cards support up to 300Mbps, and in the page I linked to the QoS section wasn't checked for anything less than 300Mbps, I don't know what this means though.

I definitely don't want to chance having a weak signal.

Whatever the best combination of router and network card would be show me if you're able.

I don't think you covered if an older Laptop should be able to pick up the signal from this router.

That would be good if I could give highest priority to games and the lowest to torrents, maybe you can even torrent and game at the same time, if it forces the game to have enough bandwidth?

If the first two devices you mentioned are the best combination you can find (even searching outside of Newegg, as long as they are either local or accept Paypal, and are reasonably priced), then I'll go with them.
March 1, 2010 8:57:43 PM

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about older wireless. Yes, as long as the older computer does either b or g, it will be able to receive signal from the router I linked.

The best combination is whatever same-brand wireless-n router and adapter fits your budget. Just because I like Netgear doesn't mean you have to. The "ideal" solution I linked was a suggestion. If you can find it, but it's $200, don't buy it. If you don't like the looks or think it will take up too much room, don't buy it.

Here's a 300 Mbps Netgear router for $70. That should work ok with this Netgear 300 Mbps USB adapter. Unfortunately, there are only 2 Netgear adapters on newegg.ca, and they're both USB adapters.

Alternatively, you could try this Linksys router along with this Linksys wireless n card. They both appear to be non-draft n, which is a good thing.

The real message here is that there are lots of options, I think you'll see the best results by using same-brand router & adapter. I haven't added wireless to a desktop in a while, so I don't have any recent experience with any of the adapters out there. Might I recommend doing some research on a site that is dedicated to wireless cards?
March 1, 2010 10:15:32 PM

I assume I should go for non-draft n then.

Looking at the two Linksys products they seem to have not so great reviews, the problems may be somewhat rare though. If you think about it only the people who are really enthusiastic would give good feedback, but almost all people who are angry would post their bad experiences..

For the card there are people saying the drivers are not compatible with 64 bit OS's. I also don't see what speed it's capable of.

Not sure what people are saying about the router, but I did notice the speed was limited to 270Mbps.

Really though I don't think I'll get anything near those speeds, that seems awful high, and I already am able to watch quite high quality video with my current connection.

One thing though, didn't you say wireless-n is new? That Linksys router has been out for at least a year based on what one review was saying. If it has full wireless-n support that seems kind of odd. Maybe it's a draft model and they didn't list it that way?

If you think Linksys is good I'll go with the ones you mentioned. I don't want to risk having a weak signal so maybe I should avoid the Netgear USB adapter.
March 1, 2010 10:57:36 PM

One last bump for now, probably won't be on for a good number of hours, feel free to leave any help you can while I'm away.
March 2, 2010 8:39:53 AM

Still need some of my questions above answered. If we can't get any further than we have on this site, which of the recommended products should I get, in light of the reviews I've shared?

If there is nothing else you can help me with, tell me which ones would be best to get (say if non-draft wireless-n is best).

I'm still wondering how that router that's been out for over a year is non-draft wireless-n.

Is there a particular site I should look at for doing my own research if noone here can give me a final answer for what I should get?
March 2, 2010 2:29:58 PM

So including what has not been answered above, basically what I need to know is what I should do next.

If I have to look for parts on my own, it would be good to know where to look.

If the two Linksys parts should be good I'll go with them. As I said I don't want to risk having a week signal if the USB part does that.

If you can, cover what was not answered above, or direct me somewhere they could be answered if this is not the place to ask.

Thank you for your help.
March 2, 2010 7:03:12 PM

Tried doing some of my own research, and came up with a couple products of the same brand that might be good. The only thing I can see that may be not so good about them is that the reviews for them are from 2007, so maybe they are not so up to date. The card is draft wireless-n, I think the router might be non-draft wireless-n though, or maybe it's draft 2.0.

D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router - Retail
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

D-Link DWA-556 IEEE 802.11n (draft) IEEE 802.11g IEEE 802.11b PCI Express Xtreme Desktop Adapter Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA, WPA2) - Retail
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

The router has QoS, and is the only router I could find that said that on either their product page, or manufacturer site.

The card is PCI Express, and I don't know if the motherboard I'm getting will be able to fit that along with everything else, you can check if it will in this topic:

$1500 Canadian Gaming computer.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

This is the motherboard I'm using for your reference:

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

If the router or network adapter are not good for any reason let me know. I'm pretty much ready to buy everything now other than these two parts. Just need to be sure they are good and I'll buy them, if there is a better/cheaper alternative, I'm all for it.
March 2, 2010 7:46:20 PM

bump

I'm on the verge of buying everything, someone please confirm if these two items, considering what I've said above, are good.
!