Battery Cause Sudden Shutdown

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2004 6:37:32 PM

I inherited a Dell Inspiron 3800 with a sudden shutdown problem. It appears not
to be software-related since it will shutdown even with a floppy boot, or while
in the setup screen. I've noticed that the battery will run the unit for only
20 minutes or so if it is on battery only. I have been running it on AC for the
most part.

Can a very weak battery cause sudden shutdown even when running on AC?
While running on AC, can bad/no ground cause a sudden shutdown (for example,
using a three-prong to two-prong adapter in an old house)?

Thank for any advice.
August 22, 2004 6:37:33 PM

In article <Bo3Wc.10191$mB6.8644@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
"Bob Skinner" <nospam@aol.com> wrote:

> Yes, it shuts down when running on power. In fact, I usually run it on AC.

Bob,

AFAIK most laptops will run directly off the AC supply with no need to
have the battery installed in the laptop. Trying this method can at
least rule out the battery as the direct cause of the shutdown.

Having a 2-prong AC plug rather than 3-prong shouldn't be a problem.
I've yet to see one of those AC switching power supplies with a 3-prong
plug at all.

Just a long shot, but there was a particular Mac laptop power supply
that commonly suffered from a broken/intermittent outer conductor wire
right where it got flexed where it exited the power supply housing. Try
flexing the wire there and see if it induces the shutdown.

Actually I kinda go along with the other responder's comment about a
heat-induced shutdown.

--
jm
!