Film cameras anyone?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
November 28, 2004 4:00:01 AM

Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
still use both?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

More about : film cameras

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 4:00:02 AM

glassman wrote:
> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?

Chances are that you will very rarely have need for a 35 mm SLR.
For the rare occasion when you do need a 35 mm SLR, your venerable old
Yashica will probably do fine.
Cutting the cord to a trusty old SLR can be an emotional experience.
Kind of like saying good-bye for the last time to an old friend.
You have gone places and done things together for years and it was
always there to do your bidding.
I'm holding on to my Canon A-1 but mostly for sentimental reasons.
I can't bring myself to sell it. Selling is sooo final.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 4:28:41 AM

"glassman" <jksinrod@aol.com> wrote in message
> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?

Given that Canon film bodies cost as little as $75 used, I'd say, get one,
to keep film alive as an art form...

Your Canon EF-S 18-55 will not fit on a film body, of course. But Canon EF
films will fit both bodies.

All of the used places separate the lenses from the bodies, I think.
November 28, 2004 5:01:06 AM

Bob Williams wrote:

> I'm holding on to my Canon A-1 but mostly
> for sentimental reasons. I can't bring myself
> to sell it. Selling is sooo final.

You couldn't buy lunch with the price either.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 7:05:52 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 01:00:01 -0500, "glassman" <jksinrod@aol.com>
wrote:

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
>fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
>with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
>with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
>old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
>still use both?

I understand the quandary! I'm thinking of upgrading my digital camera
model... and I'm debating whether to sell my old film camera to help
with the cost.

On one hand, like was mentioned, selling is so final, and my film
camera is a great old Oly OM-2N. And very trusty.

OTOH... since I got my Oly C-3030... not one roll of film has gone
through the old cam. And I kind of hate to see it just molder there in
a drawer.

I'm leaning towards selling... as I don't use both and don't think
it's particularly likely I ever will do film again.

Cynthia
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:35:36 AM

I plan on keeping my Nikon N50 and finding a good wide angle lenses to put
on it. That way I can still have the ability to get wide landscapes without
depending on software.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:54:32 AM

"Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message news:<k7KdnS8bm4JQGDTcRVn-pg@comcast.com>...
> Bob Williams wrote:
>
> > I'm holding on to my Canon A-1 but mostly
> > for sentimental reasons. I can't bring myself
> > to sell it. Selling is sooo final.
>
> You couldn't buy lunch with the price either.

Agreed, The price of film SLR bodies has declined dramatically in the
last year on Ebay. I sold a Canon 1N that was in excellent condition a
month ago and it sold for $275. That's a steal for a pro body in that
condition. I see them continuing to go down as more and more film
bodies hit the market.

Art
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:57:31 AM

"Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message
>> Bob Williams wrote:
>>
>> > I'm holding on to my Canon A-1 but mostly
>> > for sentimental reasons. I can't bring myself
>> > to sell it. Selling is sooo final.
>>
>> You couldn't buy lunch with the price either.
>
> Agreed, The price of film SLR bodies has declined dramatically in the
> last year on Ebay. I sold a Canon 1N that was in excellent condition a
> month ago and it sold for $275. That's a steal for a pro body in that
> condition. I see them continuing to go down as more and more film
> bodies hit the market.
>
> Art

Guess I'm hanging onto my 1n, and A2, for that matter. I've got a bunch of
ISO3200 Ilford Delta in my 'fridge, those should come in handy for shooting
that. Now that the 20D has such "good" noise characteristics at 3200, I
might like to use that film to get some grain and grit into an image...
That's kinda ironic. Shooting film because it's "worse" than digital...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

glassman wrote:

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?

I've got an old EOS 850 and a digital EOS 10D

I carry the 850 when I travel as a backup camera. If the
10D fails, I can still bring back memories.

I used the 850 last summer when I bought a 15mm lens.
I've never used a lens that wide with film and wanted to
see how it looked without the 1.6 crop.

I felt like I was being cheated when I had to pay for
developing film :)
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:02:25 PM

The only reason I could see, is if is was a totally manual camera, it would
work in situations that didn't allow for battery recharges, or replacements.
Or possibly in an explosive atmosphere, where you could not use any
electronic devices.

Bill Crocker

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?
>
> --
> JK Sinrod
> Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
> www.sinrodstudios.com
> Coney Island Memories
> www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:23:04 PM

Cynthia P <graycyn@netzero.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 01:00:01 -0500, "glassman" <jksinrod@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> >fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> >with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> >with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> >old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> > Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> >still use both?
>

> I understand the quandary! I'm thinking of upgrading my digital camera
> model... and I'm debating whether to sell my old film camera to help
> with the cost.
>
> On one hand, like was mentioned, selling is so final, and my film
> camera is a great old Oly OM-2N. And very trusty.
>
> OTOH... since I got my Oly C-3030... not one roll of film has gone
> through the old cam. And I kind of hate to see it just molder there in
> a drawer.
>
> I'm leaning towards selling... as I don't use both and don't think
> it's particularly likely I ever will do film again.

I still have my old OM40p, and a selection of accessories, but I decided
to keep it in the end, having gone through the 'shall I sell it' process
as well. However, I do sometimes take it out for am airing, and I do
find that you take pictures in a different way. Knowing that each
picture is going to cost me, I make better efforts to take better shots.
In some ways it could be a benefit to your creativity skills.

Certainly I find with the digital camera it is easy to be lazy with
where you point the thing, take enough pictures and at least a few will
be good ones.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

In article <JPdqd.33$P31.19@fe11.lga>, glassman <jksinrod@aol.com> wrote:

> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
>still use both?

These days, I seem to be shooting more stuff on film than on my 10D, albeit
medium format film. YMMV.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:48:46 PM

"glassman" <jksinrod@aol.com> writes:

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?

I do sometimes use both -- at once, even. For the same reasons I
sometimes used two film bodies at once: to have quicker access to a
wider range of focal lengths.

Also, at the moment, I'll dig out film if I need the extreme wideangle
end of things.

I've shot about 11 rolls of film this year, I believe.
November 28, 2004 4:37:53 PM

Why dont you buy the 50mm 1.8 its only $60

wrote:

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
>fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
>with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
>with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
>old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
>still use both?
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:17:13 PM

On 11/28/04 12:00 AM, in article JPdqd.33$P31.19@fe11.lga, "glassman"
<jksinrod@aol.com> wrote:

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?
I had a Leica M6; I liked the feel of that camera in my hand, and I liked
the reliability in all types of conditions. But the fact is that my DSLRs
took photos that were as good, or better, and I could do a lot more with the
digital files on my computer than I ever could with film. Once I went
digital I never used the Leica and finally sold it.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:15:31 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:57:31 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> "Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message

>>> You couldn't buy lunch with the price either.
>>
>> Agreed, The price of film SLR bodies has declined dramatically in the
>> last year on Ebay. I sold a Canon 1N that was in excellent condition a
>> month ago and it sold for $275. That's a steal for a pro body in that
>> condition. I see them continuing to go down as more and more film
>> bodies hit the market.
>>
>> Art
>
>Guess I'm hanging onto my 1n, and A2, for that matter. I've got a bunch of
>ISO3200 Ilford Delta in my 'fridge, those should come in handy for shooting
>that. Now that the 20D has such "good" noise characteristics at 3200, I
>might like to use that film to get some grain and grit into an image...
>That's kinda ironic. Shooting film because it's "worse" than digital...

Isn't that easy to do with digital?
Use an exposure compensation to about a stop lower, then raise
brightness/contrast in editing; presto! Noise!

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

"Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message
> Bob Williams wrote:
>
> > I'm holding on to my Canon A-1 but mostly
> > for sentimental reasons. I can't bring myself
> > to sell it. Selling is sooo final.
>
> You couldn't buy lunch with the price either.

I got _three whole days_ worth of lunches for my OM1n + 24/2.8 + 50/1.8. (I
wanted to get it cleaned and overhauled (CLA) and use it to produce
ammunition in the film/digital wars, but they wanted four days of lunches to
CLA it, so I sold it.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:49:42 PM

The Rebel kit lens wont fit a Film slr anyway, its EF-S.

"Bill H." <wmhurst@cableone.net> wrote in message
>I plan on keeping my Nikon N50 and finding a good wide angle lenses to put
>on it. That way I can still have the ability to get wide landscapes
>without depending on software.

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:54:15 AM

Somehow, noise doesn't have the same vintage PJ look that good, ol'
fashioned grain has. And your method doesn't work so well with the 20D, too
well with the D30... ;-)

--
"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:57:31 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>> "Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message

>>> Agreed, The price of film SLR bodies has declined dramatically in the
>>> last year on Ebay. I sold a Canon 1N that was in excellent condition a
>>> month ago and it sold for $275. That's a steal for a pro body in that
>>> condition. I see them continuing to go down as more and more film
>>> bodies hit the market.
>>>
>>> Art
>>
>>Guess I'm hanging onto my 1n, and A2, for that matter. I've got a bunch
>>of
>>ISO3200 Ilford Delta in my 'fridge, those should come in handy for
>>shooting
>>that. Now that the 20D has such "good" noise characteristics at 3200, I
>>might like to use that film to get some grain and grit into an image...
>>That's kinda ironic. Shooting film because it's "worse" than digital...
>
> Isn't that easy to do with digital?
> Use an exposure compensation to about a stop lower, then raise
> brightness/contrast in editing; presto! Noise!
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:06:55 AM

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:

> The only reason I could see, is if is was a totally manual camera, it
would
> work in situations that didn't allow for battery recharges, or
replacements.
> Or possibly in an explosive atmosphere, where you could not use any
> electronic devices.

If you bought Popeye (the Stigma 12-24) instead of the Canon 10-22, then a
film body would be a _lot_ of fun.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:26:46 PM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Yrnqd.178174$hj.90610@fed1read07>...
> "Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > "Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message

> >> You couldn't buy lunch with the price either.
> >
> > Agreed, The price of film SLR bodies has declined dramatically in the
> > last year on Ebay. I sold a Canon 1N that was in excellent condition a
> > month ago and it sold for $275. That's a steal for a pro body in that
> > condition. I see them continuing to go down as more and more film
> > bodies hit the market.
> >
> > Art
>
> Guess I'm hanging onto my 1n, and A2, for that matter. I've got a bunch of
> ISO3200 Ilford Delta in my 'fridge, those should come in handy for shooting
> that. Now that the 20D has such "good" noise characteristics at 3200, I
> might like to use that film to get some grain and grit into an image...
> That's kinda ironic. Shooting film because it's "worse" than digital...

I did keep my mint Canon 1N film body and I refuse to sell it for $300
or less. I'll keep it and use it once in a while although that gets
harder the more I shoot digital. My 20D arrived yesterday but my wife
took it and hid it because it's my Christmas gift. Bummer, but that's
the way it goes. Now I have to decide if I'm keeping the 10D or
selling it after Christmas. It's only going to be worth less and less
as newer Canon digital bodies get released. The problem is it's only 2
months old and has less then 1000 images on it.

Art
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 8:22:22 AM

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> > "Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message

>> > Agreed, The price of film SLR bodies has declined dramatically in the
>> > last year on Ebay. I sold a Canon 1N that was in excellent condition a
>> > month ago and it sold for $275. That's a steal for a pro body in that
>> > condition. I see them continuing to go down as more and more film
>> > bodies hit the market.
>> >
>> > Art
>>
>> Guess I'm hanging onto my 1n, and A2, for that matter. I've got a bunch
>> of
>> ISO3200 Ilford Delta in my 'fridge, those should come in handy for
>> shooting
>> that. Now that the 20D has such "good" noise characteristics at 3200, I
>> might like to use that film to get some grain and grit into an image...
>> That's kinda ironic. Shooting film because it's "worse" than digital...
>
> I did keep my mint Canon 1N film body and I refuse to sell it for $300
> or less. I'll keep it and use it once in a while although that gets
> harder the more I shoot digital. My 20D arrived yesterday but my wife
> took it and hid it because it's my Christmas gift. Bummer, but that's
> the way it goes. Now I have to decide if I'm keeping the 10D or
> selling it after Christmas. It's only going to be worth less and less
> as newer Canon digital bodies get released. The problem is it's only 2
> months old and has less then 1000 images on it.
>
> Art

We sold our 10D in Sept, as soon as we had our 20Ds, but the price seems to
have dropped by nearly $300 on ebay since then.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 3:53:33 PM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message news:<cAjrd.190812$hj.160678@fed1read07>...
> "Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> "Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> Guess I'm hanging onto my 1n, and A2, for that matter. I've got a bunch
> >> of
> >> ISO3200 Ilford Delta in my 'fridge, those should come in handy for
> >> shooting
> >> that. Now that the 20D has such "good" noise characteristics at 3200, I
> >> might like to use that film to get some grain and grit into an image...
> >> That's kinda ironic. Shooting film because it's "worse" than digital...
> >
> > I did keep my mint Canon 1N film body and I refuse to sell it for $300
> > or less. I'll keep it and use it once in a while although that gets
> > harder the more I shoot digital. My 20D arrived yesterday but my wife
> > took it and hid it because it's my Christmas gift. Bummer, but that's
> > the way it goes. Now I have to decide if I'm keeping the 10D or
> > selling it after Christmas. It's only going to be worth less and less
> > as newer Canon digital bodies get released. The problem is it's only 2
> > months old and has less then 1000 images on it.
> >
> > Art
>
> We sold our 10D in Sept, as soon as we had our 20Ds, but the price seems to
> have dropped by nearly $300 on ebay since then.

I bought mine at the end after the 20D was out new for $950. I'll take
a loss but hopefully not that much.

Art
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 7:31:32 PM

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> > "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message

>> > I did keep my mint Canon 1N film body and I refuse to sell it for $300
>> > or less. I'll keep it and use it once in a while although that gets
>> > harder the more I shoot digital. My 20D arrived yesterday but my wife
>> > took it and hid it because it's my Christmas gift. Bummer, but that's
>> > the way it goes. Now I have to decide if I'm keeping the 10D or
>> > selling it after Christmas. It's only going to be worth less and less
>> > as newer Canon digital bodies get released. The problem is it's only 2
>> > months old and has less then 1000 images on it.
>> >
>> > Art
>>
>> We sold our 10D in Sept, as soon as we had our 20Ds, but the price seems
>> have dropped by nearly $300 on ebay since then.
>
> I bought mine at the end after the 20D was out new for $950. I'll take
> a loss but hopefully not that much.
>
> Art

You're probably ok. We sold ours used for $1100 with a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
December 1, 2004 8:05:01 PM

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?

Depending upon the range of focal lengths you have in lenses for your film
camera, you might find that film has capabilities that are not available
with your digital camera.

I thought I'd dump film when I went digital, and I am glad that I held on to
all my film gear. I've come to see it not as a "one-way-or-the-other"
proposition, but rather as having a broader range of options, by using both
film and digital.

Hold on to your fils camera for at least a year. Get over the initial
novelty of using digital. Then decide whether you want to abandon film.
December 1, 2004 9:43:27 PM

I bought a Canon 10D in July of 2003. Bought a few lenses over the
winter and spring and then come late spring decided to buy a Canon
Elan 7NE so I can shoot some film and use the lenses I bought for the
10D. I'm having fun using both and have been trying all sorts of
different films. Still, I shoot maybe 10% with film and the other 90%
with the 10D. I find I enjoy waiting to see how the film came out (and
compare them to the 10D shots). Now I'm shooting mostly fine grain
slide film and B&W.

I also have a bag filled with Minolta camera and lenses but I found I
didn't use it because it was a pain dragging along another bag of
equipment. The 7NE fits in my 10D bag along with all the compatable
lenses.

"glassman" <jksinrod@aol.com> wrote in message news:<JPdqd.33$P31.19@fe11.lga>...
> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:06:28 AM

> > We sold our 10D in Sept, as soon as we had our 20Ds, but the price seems to
> > have dropped by nearly $300 on ebay since then.
>
> I bought mine at the end after the 20D was out new for $950. I'll take
> a loss but hopefully not that much.
>
> Art
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

What were the shortcomings of the 10D?

My first digicam was a Canon Powershot Pro 70 1.75MP - the advantages
of upgrading from that are obvious.

But haven't digital cameras now reached the point where with 6,7,or 8
megapixels they are producing such excellent images that the
advantages of continuously 'upgrading'from now on are minimal?

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, England
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 12:29:08 PM

When I bought my Canon Digital Rebel, I gave my T70 and Canon F-1 to a
local Charity. I did keep hold of my Film Rebel 2000. Reading up on
the Digital SLR's there are a couple of times you may not be able to
use it -

In some place like a rain forest. (Extreme humidity).
In sub-zero weather). Below a certin tempeture the electronics freeze
up.

Now I may have problems with a Flim Rebel in these places also. I do
have an old, old 35mm camera in the closet that is all manual and a
solar powered light meter if I really need it. It is nothing fancy, an
old ... I think it is an Argus Camera... but it is in good conditon
and works when all the electronic stuff freezes up.

I also have a Keiv 88 (medium format camera) that is all manual, and a
Crown Graphic (large format). Not sure what to do with them. It
costs to much to do anything with the film now, and you have to go to
specility labs and they are getting harder and harder to find.

roland
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 5:21:47 PM

>> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
>>still use both?

yep. film cameras have certain advantages -- superb battery life.
One or two cells is all you need for a full wedding. Digital cameras
tend to use up batteries fast. film cameras still tend to AF faster
than most digital cameras at the same price range, or even a thousand+
more. Most digital SLRs don't have 1:1 magnification ratios vs. film
SLRs when mated to the lenses. You can easily buy a AF 35mm film camera
for <$200 complete off ebay.com with a good lens that'll do a superb
job, whereas most $200 digital cameras, just okay. It'll get there --
someday, the digital SLRs will drop in price to <$500 and they'll have
battery life that lasts as long, but until then, film cameras still are
of use to me. Legally, it's film is still a medium which has more
respect than a more easily manipulated digital image file for court
cases (for the latter, you'd have to use those few digicams which imbed
image markers that allow one to note any post-manipulation).

but for today, I'd say for the P&S through the 10x all-in-one zoom
market, I'd pick digital right away. Just waiting for the digital SLRs
to hit the sweet spot in price, performance, battery life, etc.....
December 3, 2004 2:16:06 AM

"YAG-ART" <right@here.now> wrote in message
> Why dont you buy the 50mm 1.8 its only $60

Where have you seen it at that price?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
www.sinrodstudios.com
Coney Island Memories
www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 1:21:13 PM

Well I am only just changing from film + scanner to DSLR (20D). I have been
using a digital compact for some time but was sticking to my old film SLRs
for "serious" stuff (sorry that is not meant to sound pretentious).

I had been putting off this transition for a while hoping full frame sensors
would drop to a reasonable value; this may be a long wait as doubling the
size of most IC chips puts the cost up by an order of magnitude. (Also the
1.2Kg and +£5k for the 1Ds mk2 is a bit much for a non-pro).

In the end to 20D tempted me, this was prompted though by a sudden drop in
Kodachrome processing quality this summer.

Several films of slides came back full of drying marks, dust spots, the odd
scratch. Grain levels are up over normal levels and colour balance was a
problem when scanned (looked OK to the eye though). This was all recent
stock, kept refrigerated except when in the camera bag.

Having said that I expect I will be working in parallel with digital as all
my old SLRs lenses are Canon FD mount as it was al bought in the early 80s.
(I was well pissed with Canon when I found out EF was not backwards
compatible in any meaningful way, but I guess I can see why).

So XMAS day I have a nice box with a 20D + 18-55mm kit lens to get me
started. All I need is to convince my wife I just have to spend a few
thousand on lenses I am away - this may take a while.....

So the answer is film is perfectly OK as long as the processing is good. I
suspect 8-10Mp cameras with good low noise sensors produce results close to
or equal to film. (I downloaded a 20D image from a review and printed it at
A3+, I was impressed).

I have been struggling with the zoom / prime trade issue. Canon do some good
f2.8 zooms that are close to (or even better) than some primes based on MTF
data, but the size and weight puts me off. This was my experience with the
FD system, I had a very nice 70-210/f4, sharpness not too bad. But long and
at 700g cumbersome. In the end I just used the primes.

Lester

> Now that I have my new Canon Rebel, I have a quandry? I want to buy a
> fast 50mm lens for it, for low light stuff to go with the 18-55 that comes
> with it. I was thinking that maybe I would buy a used Canon AF SLR body
> with the lens I want. That way I'll have 2 camera bodies and 2 lenses. My
> old Yashica film SLR is way of date anyway.
> Question is will I have any use for a film camera again? Any of you
> still use both?
>
> --
> JK Sinrod
> Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
> www.sinrodstudios.com
> Coney Island Memories
> www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 1:23:12 PM

"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> I'm holding on to my Canon A-1 but mostly for sentimental reasons.
> I can't bring myself to sell it. Selling is sooo final.
> Bob Williams

You think that is bad, I have a nice medium format colour enlarger in the
top of my wardrobe I can't part with despite using a scanner for a while
now...
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:57:56 PM

I just picked up a bunch of FD lenses real cheap-- I could never afford them
in the 70's when I was in collage! I also got a couple of Canon A-1 bodies
really cheap too and now have a great film system with the 2 A-1's and my
original AE-1. I plan on giving one to my sister for her birthday. Film is
really cheap--outdated by a month or so is only a $1.00 a roll and getting
24 shots developed with double prints is only $4.00 at the local pharmacy.
Granted--it is not studio work--but a lot cheaper than printing digital--but
not looking at digital on the computer! I am going to a ski race tomorrow
and will likey shoot about 100 to 75 film shots, and about 500 digital
(Olympus C5050). Film is still good IMHO!
"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:57:31 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>> "Peter Shuffle" <PS63@comcast.spamcatcher.net> wrote in message

>>> Agreed, The price of film SLR bodies has declined dramatically in the
>>> last year on Ebay. I sold a Canon 1N that was in excellent condition a
>>> month ago and it sold for $275. That's a steal for a pro body in that
>>> condition. I see them continuing to go down as more and more film
>>> bodies hit the market.
>>>
>>> Art
>>
>>Guess I'm hanging onto my 1n, and A2, for that matter. I've got a bunch
>>of
>>ISO3200 Ilford Delta in my 'fridge, those should come in handy for
>>shooting
>>that. Now that the 20D has such "good" noise characteristics at 3200, I
>>might like to use that film to get some grain and grit into an image...
>>That's kinda ironic. Shooting film because it's "worse" than digital...
>
> Isn't that easy to do with digital?
> Use an exposure compensation to about a stop lower, then raise
> brightness/contrast in editing; presto! Noise!
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:06:51 PM

Rudy--K8SWD wrote:

> I just picked up a bunch of FD lenses real cheap-- I could never afford them
> in the 70's when I was in collage! I also got a couple of Canon A-1 bodies
> really cheap too and now have a great film system with the 2 A-1's and my
> original AE-1. I plan on giving one to my sister for her birthday. Film is
> really cheap--outdated by a month or so is only a $1.00 a roll and getting
> 24 shots developed with double prints is only $4.00 at the local pharmacy.
> Granted--it is not studio work--but a lot cheaper than printing digital--but
> not looking at digital on the computer! I am going to a ski race tomorrow
> and will likey shoot about 100 to 75 film shots, and about 500 digital
> (Olympus C5050). Film is still good IMHO!

And, scanned prints or film still produces digital files. There is
essentially no difference to applications programs between files from a
digital camera and files from a scanner. Scanned images ARE true
digital images, in spite of what some people claim.

I have both a digicam and several film cameras. I still shoot about
half my images digital, half film. I can't afford a decent digital SLR,
so shoot stuff that needs an SLR with film and scan later.
February 17, 2005 8:26:36 PM

"Don Stauffer in Minneapolis" <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote in message

> I have both a digicam and several film cameras. I still shoot about
> half my images digital, half film. I can't afford a decent digital SLR,
> so shoot stuff that needs an SLR with film and scan later.

And you will probably end up better off in the long run! It is likely that,
as technology improves, you may be able to rescan your film in the future
and come up with even better images than you get now.

Digital cameras are locked into whatever the limits of today's technology
are.

You just might have the last laugh!
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:26:37 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:26:36 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote:
>"Don Stauffer in Minneapolis" <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have both a digicam and several film cameras. I still shoot about
>> half my images digital, half film. I can't afford a decent digital SLR,
>> so shoot stuff that needs an SLR with film and scan later.
>
>And you will probably end up better off in the long run! It is likely that,
>as technology improves, you may be able to rescan your film in the future
>and come up with even better images than you get now.
>
>Digital cameras are locked into whatever the limits of today's technology
>are.
>
>You just might have the last laugh!

Yeooww! There's an ice cold bucket of reality in the face.
Thanks, we needed that. :-)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:30:52 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:16:21 -0700, Bill Rude <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:26:36 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote:
>>"Don Stauffer in Minneapolis" <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have both a digicam and several film cameras. I still shoot about
>>> half my images digital, half film. I can't afford a decent digital SLR,
>>> so shoot stuff that needs an SLR with film and scan later.
>>
>>And you will probably end up better off in the long run! It is likely that,
>>as technology improves, you may be able to rescan your film in the future
>>and come up with even better images than you get now.
>>
>>Digital cameras are locked into whatever the limits of today's technology
>>are.
>>
>>You just might have the last laugh!
>
>Yeooww! There's an ice cold bucket of reality in the face.
>Thanks, we needed that. :-)

I've just resurrected my collection of Minolta SRT 101's!

....and those mercury batteries are still perking along just fine...

--
Scott in Florida
Anonymous

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:30:52 GMT, Scott in Florida
<NotInTheNextLifetime@nope.ucan't> wrote:

>...and those mercury batteries are still perking along just fine...

I've got four of those batts in the fridge and no use for them anymore,
I had my Ftn meters calibrated for the newer 1.5v alkys.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:07:10 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:27:40 -0700, Bill Rude <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:30:52 GMT, Scott in Florida
><NotInTheNextLifetime@nope.ucan't> wrote:
>
>>...and those mercury batteries are still perking along just fine...
>
>I've got four of those batts in the fridge and no use for them anymore,
>I had my Ftn meters calibrated for the newer 1.5v alkys.

I'll take them off your hands...if you want to part with em...

--
Scott in Florida
Anonymous

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:07:10 GMT, Scott in Florida
<NotInTheNextLifetime@nope.ucan't> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:27:40 -0700, Bill Rude <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:30:52 GMT, Scott in Florida
>><NotInTheNextLifetime@nope.ucan't> wrote:
>>
>>>...and those mercury batteries are still perking along just fine...
>>
>>I've got four of those batts in the fridge and no use for them anymore,
>>I had my Ftn meters calibrated for the newer 1.5v alkys.
>
>I'll take them off your hands...if you want to part with em...

E-mail me at the Yahoo address.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:01:32 PM

I have printed photos from digital files, scanned slides and scanned
negatives. I notice the output on my Canon IP4000 to be more superior
when printing digital files. As far as 35mm goes, the printed photos
from scanned slides appear to show better results than scanned film,
which seems to show more muddy colors and grain in the light blue of the
sky. These are just observations and not scientific analyses.

!