Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 and Tunic Tower 120. (With Picture!)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 7, 2010 1:15:34 AM

I just got a i7 930, and I'm using the tunic tower 120 Extreme to cool it. At the moment I'm running the chip at stock speeds (2.8ghz) and Its idling at 37c. I can't even overclock it to 3.3ghz + with out it idling at around 40 plus C. Is there a problem here? And should I be able to overclock this chip to 4.0ghz with this cooler? I did use this cooler to cool my AMD 920 to 3.7ghz with no problem. For the i7 I used the line method. Should I redo it and use the spread method?

Thanks, Xion



Specs:
ATI 5870.
i7 930 at 2.8 (stock)
Tunic Tower 120 Extreme
P658D-E motherboard
Storm Sniper Case
CMPSU-650TX powersupply
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB

More about : tunic tower 120 picture

May 7, 2010 1:24:10 AM

sorry for link here we go


m
0
l
May 7, 2010 1:38:33 AM

have you tried over clocking to 4ghz, and do a temp test to see the result.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 1:45:28 AM

jeyd02 said:
have you tried over clocking to 4ghz, and do a temp test to see the result.


yes I have tried that, idle temps are around 50-60 if i remember correctly, maybe even more. In prime95 the temps got to over 80c, 90c I think was the max.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 1:47:01 AM

According to frostytech.com that is literally one of the best coolers out there.

I have not worked with an i7 but I've overclocked i5-750's to 3.9GHz, using a slightly lesser cooler, and got temps up to 72. Lots of people overclock the i7's to 4GHz and slightly beyond, so you can probably do it too. You won't know the temps until you actually do it.
m
0
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 1:50:32 AM

I have that same exact cooler in two rigs it is a very capable cooler but your cooler is only as good as your case ventilation. If your case ventilation has bad airflow your temps will be high also your thermal paste you might have to much or to little. Also check to see if it is seated evenly.

1 more thing your ambient temps how hot is the room it is in.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 1:50:35 AM

Don't tear it apart yet. I'm sure you know from reading the 930 runs hotter than AMD's, heck they run hotter than 1156 cpu's to. Do you have the Vcore set, and not on auto ?
Did you disable eist or c states ? If you put the power plan in Win7 on balanced, at idle the cpu multi should drop , so might your idle temps if its bugging you. :) 
Worst case, others idle at that same temp, i've noted. As long as it does not randomly go up over 70 with load, theres probably nothing wrong.
m
0
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 1:51:55 AM

I just looked at you picture a little better you have it backwards the fan blows thru the fins you have it on backwards your exhaust fan is stealing its air. Flip it around and you should see much better temps....
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 1:59:12 AM

wasn't that heatsink suppose to have fans?
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 2:03:56 AM

jeyd02 said:
have you tried over clocking to 4ghz, and do a temp test to see the result.


Sorry I lied in my first post lol. I just tried 4.0 ghz, didn't go to desk top. Tried 3.9, same, tried 3.8 got to desk top then bluescreen, as of right now, I'm at 3.7ghz.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 2:08:37 AM

saaiello said:
I just looked at you picture a little better you have it backwards the fan blows thru the fins you have it on backwards your exhaust fan is stealing its air. Flip it around and you should see much better temps....


What do you mean? I have it where it says TUNIC, where you can read it with out reading it upside down. The air from the cooler is going out the top, into the exhaust fan.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 2:10:06 AM

saaiello said:
I have that same exact cooler in two rigs it is a very capable cooler but your cooler is only as good as your case ventilation. If your case ventilation has bad airflow your temps will be high also your thermal paste you might have to much or to little. Also check to see if it is seated evenly.

1 more thing your ambient temps how hot is the room it is in.


As of right now, our house is at 72F, 22.2c.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 2:10:57 AM

Quote:
The fan should be on the Ram side of the CPU blowing towards the back of your case thru the heatsink.
------------------------------


So it should be long ways up and down and not side to side like I have it? When I was installing it, I couldn't put it that way.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 2:11:19 AM

jeyd02 said:
wasn't that heatsink suppose to have fans?


The fan is inside the cooler.
m
0
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 2:12:04 AM

Yea never mind I was thinking of a different cooler sorry
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 2:12:57 AM

saaiello said:
Yea never mind I was thinking of a different cooler sorry


Lol I think you were talking about the original Tunic Tower cooler.
m
0
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 2:17:08 AM

I was lol I couldnt tell by your picture it was so dark sorry.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 8:01:24 AM

I'm not an expert but I've done a lot of research about cooling/temps with the i7 and in my opinion you should hold off on OCing your cpu. Your idle temps at stock speeds are fine. 36-40c @ idle is about par for stock speeds. But your 3.7ghz temps are way too hot. Aftermarket coolers don't necessarily decrease your idle temperatures THAT much. They do, however, greatly decrease temps under load. even at 4.0ghz, 80c is far too hot. Someone said it before, make sure that your heatsink is sitting flat on your processor. You can tell this by the indents in the thermal paste. I recently RMAd my heatsink for that reason.

As for your idle temps at 3.3, 40c is fine.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 6:58:09 PM

gangstap said:
I'm not an expert but I've done a lot of research about cooling/temps with the i7 and in my opinion you should hold off on OCing your cpu. Your idle temps at stock speeds are fine. 36-40c @ idle is about par for stock speeds. But your 3.7ghz temps are way too hot. Aftermarket coolers don't necessarily decrease your idle temperatures THAT much. They do, however, greatly decrease temps under load. even at 4.0ghz, 80c is far too hot. Someone said it before, make sure that your heatsink is sitting flat on your processor. You can tell this by the indents in the thermal paste. I recently RMAd my heatsink for that reason.

As for your idle temps at 3.3, 40c is fine.


Well, I have it at 3.6 right now, and I'm happy with it idiling at 40-45c.. and While playing Arma 2 for 3 hours it hit only 58c Tops. So I'm going to keep at it at 3.6. When i put it to 3.7, It blue screened, 3.8, went to desktop, then bluescreened, 3.9 and up it won't even get to windows desktop. So I think I found the sweet spot for my cooler/i7.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 7:39:15 PM

is that heatsink better than TRUE 120?
m
0
l
!