Sign in with
Your question

Liquid accident with PC

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2010 7:25:23 PM

a few days ago i spilt some coffe and some got in and down my PC case. i did what anyone would do which is knock the power off and dry it as best i can. luckily for me my quick save worked and the machine went back on and was running for three days straight on a modestly heavy load....
until today.. now the machine either a) does not boot up, or b) shuts off automatically after a few min of operation.
im really stumped as to what could be wrong. the coffee has dried and been cleaned off. the bulk from what i could see landing on the graphics card. nothing got on the main board or any other components thou i did find traces around the cpu.
my question is this: if its the cpu or graphics card would it load up at all?? let alone work for two days after the incident then konk out.
and if it is either can they be salvaged?

More about : liquid accident

a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2010 9:58:34 PM

That's going to be a really tricky one to diagnose, and will probably require trial and error on your part. Sounds like the board or PSU, but that's just a guess from what you've said. Do you have any known working parts around you can try? (PSU mostly)
February 28, 2010 9:59:47 PM

thats the thing... i just sold off all the spare parts i had. i would have thought if the cpu or graphics card are fried they just simple wont work. not work then crash.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2010 10:03:47 PM

With no CPU, most boards won't do anything. I've seen some that will start, and then say No CPU detected, and beep like crazy. Or, the socket is toast. Or, the DIMMS are toast. Or, the PSU is toast. Or, some other part of the mainboard is toast. Or, the...

Do you have onboard video? If you do, I'd try pulling the GPU and anything else the PC doesn't need to POST and give that a try.
March 1, 2010 9:50:10 AM

ive tried pulling gpu out but the machine still does the same restart dance. with gpu its actualy making it into windows and running fine till it crashes and restarts. there must be somthing somewhere in the board fused or somthing but i just cant find where
March 1, 2010 9:51:34 AM

i noticed when i took the cpu appart that the thermal past had all slid off the chip.. i dont have any spare. could that be the cause of the restarts..?
im using an asus board with a heat sensor and its picking nothing up at all.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 12:10:39 PM

I don't think so. All the thermal paste does is fill tiny little voids in the HSF and IHS, it doesn't need a ton. But, if you got enough coffee in there to wash the thermal paste off your chip...
March 1, 2010 2:29:58 PM

well im dropping it off at a local comp tech support place to test out. get alittle closer to figuring out whats the deal.
March 5, 2010 1:17:31 PM

sorted the problem out... had nothing to do with the liquid. apparently the power button sensor on my case had dislodged itself and was causing resets. from what ive found on the net its something quite common with the coolermaster cosmos s cases.
so the liquid buildup on the graphics card did absolutely nothing to damage it.
!