Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzap12

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
My computer will boot up and actually reach to the Windows OS bootup, but after a new minutes, the screen will simply freeze. This freezing continues after each hard-reset, and the interval between the re-bootup and the freezing becomes shorter each time, to an extend that not even the motherboard's welcoming screen shows up. The freezing is also present even in BIOS. I cannot reinstall the windows OS, because every attempt, the screen freezes. Is this a problem with the power supply?

I use the Corsair TX650W.

Thank you,

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I wouldn't think the power supply would cause that. One way to check is removing a graphics card and using onboard graphics while also removing any extra harddrives or optical drives.

I think it could be the motherboard, RAM or CPU. The way you can check these is if you have any replacement parts (ie. more RAM to swap out the current, a different CPU to swap out etc). One other choice is if you could flash the bios BUT if it freezes during the flash then you will be looking at a new motherboard.

wazzap12

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Another problem I found were the cracked, weird display sometimes on the bootup screen. For example, the screen between the Windows boot-up and the Motherboard welcoming screen, the letters would come out all screwed up, and then vertical green lines on the screen.
Also, sometimes the Windows bottons, such as the OK or CANCEL icons would look all screwd up as well.
Other than these, the main problem are the odd freezings.

My quick-specs for my PC:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
GPU: EVGA 896-P3-1262-AR GeForce GTX 260 Superclocked Edition
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
sounds like your GPU. I'd suggest removing EVERYTHING and rebuilding a piece at a time, i.e. put in one ram module, start it up and go straight into bios... if it doesnt freeze keep adding and start up, if it freezes, try another ram module. etc.etc. Just keep adding once piece at a time with your GPU as the last. Just use the onboard gpu until then. If it freezes every time it's your motherboard.

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
"..and the interval between the re-bootup and the freezing becomes shorter each time, to an extend that not even the motherboard's welcoming screen shows up..."

He can't get to the BIOS so how is he meant to get into Windows to use speedfan.

Again, like I said, test each part one at a time to narrow down the cause.

As the interval is just increasing, does it decrease if you leave the computer for a little while? If so, heat could be the cause (like stated above).

Graphics card could be another cause like stated above. Do you hear your computing booting up? (ie. Lots of harddrive reading etc) If so, your HDD probably isn't the cause.

I don't think it is the CPU as it should/would be more catastrophic. The computer would work one day and the next it wouldn't.

Motherboards are more unpredictable with many more parts etc.

RAM is somewhat unpredictable so a simple replacement test should tell you if it is the RAM, though I don't think the symptoms match up.

I originally said no to the idea of the power supply being the problem, I think if it wasn't providing enough power then the graphics card might display weird things, could freeze with not enough power to the CPU etc. If you have another computer with strong enough power supply to support the graphics card, do a replacement test with that to check.

Curious, did you install any of these parts recently? Also, I have had problems with stock overclocked (as in bought being overclocked) cards but obviously, if this part is a couple of months old, then that won't be the problem.

wazzap12

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I have not installed any hardware recently.

The interval between freeze and boot up does become shorter each attempt I turn my Pc on, but when I leave it off for a while, the interval does return to it's starting point.

I dont think there are any problems with the HDD because I can get into my HD on my first attempt keeping my PC non-frozen for around 5 minutes.

Also, Power doesn't seem to be the problem, since when I disconnect one of my HD and my CD-Drive, the problem persists.

I still haven't figured out what the problem could be with my PC. Narrowing down, I believe it could be the CPU overheating.

NOTE: I remember that I installed a newer driver or my GTX260 (the one that had problems with overheating). I rolled over to the previews driver as soon as the problem was announced, later to reinstall with a fixed newer driver. I also remember my GPU going beyond 70C. Could this be any relationship with my problem?

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Like above, it does seem to be an overheating problem. The increasing frequency of freezes is the reason. Try going into the BIOS and underclock to try to lower temp. Leave the case open and maybe get a fan to try and cool the computer. If it lasts longer than normal, you have your culprit.

Eventually, remove the fan, put the case back on etc. to find the most efficient cooling method.

wazzap12

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I have tried reapplying the thermal paste, open the case, leave for a while to retry, but the problem still persists. I can't even get into BIOS because it will freeze there too. If the GPU's temp isn't the problem, then I believe that overheating is not the problem. I tried swaping between my two RAM, disconnect my second HD+DVDRW, but no avail.

What can a bad motherboard do to the computer? If the GPU, CPU, RAM, PSU, and HDs aren't the problem, the only thing left is the motherboard.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
If you're worried about overheating issues then take a look through my guide linked to in my signature.

How have you ruled out the possibility of a bad GPU? You only need Motherboard, CPU & RAM installed to boot so everything else should be removed including your GPU if you have on onboard solution available. Bear in mind that without an HDD you will receive an error saying the system doesn't know where to boot from - this is normal.

Have you tried your memory one stick at a time in each and every different slot on your motherboard? Its possible you could have a faulty RAM slot so this needs to be ruled out too.

The only way to test a CPU or Motherboard is by substitution but chances are the motherboard would fail first since CPUs rarely do unless they are abused by the user.

It does sound like overheating but it could also be one of the above. Try them all and then post back with any results. Best of luck!

umar rehman

Honorable
May 22, 2012
i had a similar problem. it kept on freezing, while on internet, playing games etc... what the problem was, it was my hard drive. my hard drive kept on failing and i had to restart my pc, over and over again. when i replace my hard drive the problem never appeared again. try replacing the hard drive if you can. this is from what i experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.