Overheated Fried CPU?

G

This is a self-assembled PC of 3 years.

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W

Memory: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC

Problem:

In the past two days, it shuts itself down during video editing. The problem might have been overheating but I did not realize it. I did some video editing on my computer. It shuts itself down again (4th time in the past two days, and only during video editing). I tried to turn on the PC again almost immediately, I think I saw a spark/flash. The PC refuses to turn on. No light turns on. No sound. No nothing.

I opened it up. Saw a lot of dust on the CPU fan. Cleaned it. Put everything back together. Still, nothing turns on. No sound and no light. The only action I see from the computer is that there is an orange light at the socket of the CAT5E cable.

Based on my not-so-expert knowledge, this seems to be a CPU problem. (or is it?). My current plan of action is to get another CPU, put it in, and see if it turns on.

My questions are:

1. Does this sound like CPU death? I read in another thread, which said the computer should still turn on without the CPU, as long as the motherboard is working.

2. Now the question becomes: could the CPU be fine, but the motherboard broken?

3. Could they both be dead?

4. Could this at the same time fry my graphics card and memory cards?

I am assuming the problem resulted from overheating, because I read that video editing could cause overheating and automatic shutdowns. I am just not sure what components are broken in my computer.

Please help. I am capable of assembly but not capable of troubleshooting.

G

I do have an extra PSU lying around. It might take a while to find all the proper cables for it.

But does the orange CAT5e socket light indicate that the computer is receiving power from the PSU?

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I think it sounds like your psu I have actually seen motherboards fried there usually is some physical changes with capacitors.And with the cpu yes fans and lights will still activate.The Antec Neopower was known to cause some thermal problems.