Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Http://www tomshardware com/forum/176368-30-wont-boot-continuous-long-beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
October 18, 2010 3:27:15 PM

Hello, I have a Gigabyte GA-BX2000.

On booting I get continuous dual tone Beep, what does this indicate? The computer boots normally and appears to work correctly except for the continuous tones. I have carried out a memory test using memtest 86 which reports no errors.
The sound and video cards also appear to work correctly.

October 18, 2010 3:50:23 PM

That would normally indicate a CPU problem. I'll have a quick look....
October 18, 2010 3:53:04 PM

When you say Dual tone, do you mean alternating tones, or does it just sound like two tones at the same time?
Related resources
October 18, 2010 3:58:29 PM

Plumble said:
When you say Dual tone, do you mean alternating tones, or does it just sound like two tones at the same time?

Many thanks for speedy reply, I posted the same question to Gigabyte Technical assistance over 1 week ago no reply to date!!

Yes I mean alternating tones,
October 18, 2010 4:09:11 PM

No Probs.
That, I believe, is normally for overheating, or operating out of specified voltages.

Questions
Does it happen straight away when you boot?
Have you dusted out the PSU and/ Or CPU fan?
How old is the PSU and do you have some way to test it?
October 18, 2010 4:26:01 PM

It starts immediately, before memory check, so I don't think that it is overheating.

No I haven't tried dusting fans, but both look pretty clean and are working fine. It could be a voltage out of spec, I will try to check Power Supply voltages using Fresh Diagnose to see if that program will tell me anything.
October 18, 2010 4:38:29 PM

O.K.
So, the computer will load into OS?
See if that is the problem, I may be just that the motherboard is getting old.
October 18, 2010 5:32:09 PM

Plumble said:
O.K.
So, the computer will load into OS?
See if that is the problem, I may be just that the motherboard is getting old.

Oh Yes, the computer works fine, that is what is puzzling me!. I am using this computer to converse with you at present!

Fresh Diagnose does not seem to retrieve sensor information, but I get same result on my other two computers, so I think it is a Fresh software problem.

I found Everest Ultimate Edition v5.50 on Google so I downloaded it and voltages and temperatures seem fine.

Best solution

October 18, 2010 6:04:10 PM

How long has it been doing this? When did it start?

Try
1. dusting out any heatsinks
2. Checking the bios for minimum/maximum fan speeds/ CPU Temps
3. Check the CPU fan is working

Have you updated the bios recently? Check to setting for your configuration.
It is unlikely to be a software problem if it starts before the software is loaded.
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2010 6:13:02 PM

HAve you tried running a 3d game or graphics intensive program yet ? -- a continuous beep will sometime be from the video card if the external power adapter is not connected properly (the card will still work in 2d mode without the external power but most cards will emit a continuous beep to tell you it is not getting power) so check the 6 or 8 pin power plug going to your video card also !
October 18, 2010 7:22:42 PM

AGP not PCIE. the extra power given through AGP Pro and AGPx8 was through extra slots in the MOBO.

Still a good point. The card may be consuming more power than the power supply can give if it is the same age as the board.
October 18, 2010 7:25:57 PM

Sorry, I was wrong. There were a few AGP cards with power cables. Good point.
October 25, 2010 8:33:08 PM

Plumble said:
AGP not PCIE. the extra power given through AGP Pro and AGPx8 was through extra slots in the MOBO.

Still a good point. The card may be consuming more power than the power supply can give if it is the same age as the board.

I don't think it is power supply as I fitted new 500 watt PSU a couple of years ago.

I did eventually get a reply from Gigabyte, I quote:-

"Dear Mr. Porter

Thank you interesting in GIGABYTE products.

I am really surprised that you still used this MB; I think it is already over 10 years.
Can you try to remove the Speaker cable which it connected between your chassis and MB? The tone should be gone.
It is maybe motherboard hardware defect.

Kind Regards,
GIGABYTE-Team
"

It didn't really point to the problem, but I suppose they can be congratulated on their Lateral Thinking!!

I have in fact taken up their recommendation and disconnected the speaker.......Problem solved!! Computer works perfectly. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts before it packs up. Anyhow I still have a brand new Supermicro motherboard of similar vintage so if it ceases to work I can always swap it over.

Many thanks for all your help!
October 25, 2010 8:34:31 PM

Best answer selected by porterj.
October 25, 2010 11:39:42 PM

porterj said:
I don't think it is power supply as I fitted new 500 watt PSU a couple of years ago.

I did eventually get a reply from Gigabyte, I quote:-

"Dear Mr. Porter

Thank you interesting in GIGABYTE products.

I am really surprised that you still used this MB; I think it is already over 10 years.
Can you try to remove the Speaker cable which it connected between your chassis and MB? The tone should be gone.
It is maybe motherboard hardware defect.

Kind Regards,
GIGABYTE-Team
"

It didn't really point to the problem, but I suppose they can be congratulated on their Lateral Thinking!!

I have in fact taken up their recommendation and disconnected the speaker.......Problem solved!! Computer works perfectly. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts before it packs up. Anyhow I still have a brand new Supermicro motherboard of similar vintage so if it ceases to work I can always swap it over.

Many thanks for all your help!

At least they said something, lol.
!