Can insufficient power cause this kind of problems?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Might be caused by insufficient power, but you would need another psu to test if it is really the problem. Are you using a vga cable? If so, you might just need to check that the pins are okay and that the cable is not loose.

DrFaceless

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

I used my old cable now and the screen problem was gone, but Explorer still doesn't work, I can't connect to the internet and the booting time is still the same. I tried to search the computer for errors, I didn't fin any.
It seems like I have to get a new PSU, does this Corsair 650W PSU support the ATI XFX 5770?
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=340676
Thanks.

If your old PSU is working properly, you should have enough power. PSU produces 29 amps total at 12 volts.

Estimated power consumption:
CPU - depending: 8 - 10 amps
5770: 8 amps
2 HD's and an optical: 3 amps
fans: 1 amp

That's no more than 22 amps or 264 watts. Figure another 80 watts max for digital logic and memory power and you are up around a high side estimate of 340 watts.

OTOH, a 650 watt Corsair, or even a 550 watt Corsair, will make an excellent PSU for your system.

DrFaceless

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

So the Corsair PSUs are top notch and very reliable? And both will supply the GPU as its intended to be? A direct 6pin from the PSU.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
You can't go wrong with Corsair. I'd recommend the 550VX for your system - the 650W is a tad overkill. They all come with a dedicated 6-pin PCI-E power connector for your GPU.

Make sure you are on the proper forum for the country you are in --- I've noticed I can edit posts on the US forum but when I wind up on the UK forum (since posts from both are displayed together) it will not let me edit my posts !! (so that might be your problem as well !)

AS far as the problem --- the Fortran PSU should be fine to power the 5770 so not sure if changing to a new PSU will fix anything ! (though the corsair PSU is a good choice) --- with a long delay in booting windows and not being able to get explorer to work it sounds more like a software problem (driver error or conflict in assigning devices ) or perhaps a memory or HDD problem rather than a PSU issue. -- have you looked in Device manager to ensure there are no conflicts showing ??