Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Rate this Ibuypower Custom System

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2010 11:32:46 PM

So based on some feedback from other threads I'm conisdering ordering this. I really know nothing about ibuypower (or hardware in general) but I want more than what the local electronics shops offer.

I work from my computer. 12 windows open at once. Will be powering a 30" monitor and probably 2 of them in the near future. Not a heavy gamer with high graphics.

Is this any good? Any incompatibilities, room for improvements given I want to spend around 1'000$. Also, I could get a Dual 500Gb Harddrives Raid 0 for 56$ more. Or Dual 500gb harddrives Raid 1 for 56$ more. 500 gb is more than enough, but is the performance of separate drives worth it?

Gamer Mage D275 Netbook / Notebook Bundle ( None )
Case ( iBUYPOWER A235 Gaming Tower Case - Black )
Processor ( [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD] )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand ** Free Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - Single Card )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( ASUS M4A77TD -- AMD 770 Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 1 PCI-E MB )
Motherboard Add-on ( None )
Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
2nd Optical Drive ( None )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )
Meter Display ( None )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium64-Bit )
Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )
Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse - Black )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
Power Protection ( None )
Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Really appreciate any feedback and thoughts. Thanks.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2010 11:56:57 PM

I own a Cyberpower, which is the sister brand of ibuypower. (why they have two brands is beyond me) They offer very good specs for the price, but unless you select a specific branded part they will use relatively cheap generic parts of somewhat low quality.
In mine I replaced the cheap power supply with a high quality one just to be safe, and everything has worked very well for more than a year. The software discs and everything were satisfactory.

With respect to parts, I think this system is overkill--unless you are a gamer? Even a low power graphics card would run multiple monitors satisfactorily. For office applications on multiple monitors you could get more performance than you need for $500ish.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2010 11:59:33 PM

As a comparison this $699 system offers vastly more power than you need for a work computer.. (and supports 2 monitors)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or you can customize a good Dell 546 system for $500ish and add your own graphic card. --this would give you a better warranty/support than ibuypower/cyberpower offers. For someone without a lot of computer knowledge this might be nice to have.
Score
Related resources
March 1, 2010 12:46:59 AM

Hmm, really interesting feedback. I think you're right. I have about a dozen poker windows running, msn, music and internet and I want a computer that will handle all that with no lags on two big screens, 2500x1600. Even now, I'm running a 24" off my laptop and don't have too many complaints so you're probably right, I am overkilling it. Just like performance in general I guess. Going to look at the link you recommended...More questions to follow :) 
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 2:43:18 AM

Tom's rates the 9800GT as good 1600x1200 performance in most games; 1920x1200 in most titles with some lowered detail. This is referring to first person shooters, and not poker.. but even with no stress the card maxes at 2560 x 1600.

Can you clarify--was that two 2560 x 1600 screens or is that what they are combined? If its two you might actually need something better.

Are you sure you dont feel comfortable building a system? Thats what most Tom's experts would suggest
Score
March 1, 2010 2:58:17 AM

Will I'll be buying that Dell 30" 2560x1600 in a couple months and I will be running my 24" simultaneously. I really just don't have the desire to learn about putting the hardware together and testing myself. I was hoping to get the the specs down and have someone like ibuypower or a local computer shop build it for me. I realize I may have to go over 1k..... The poker is low graphics obvsiouly.... I've been considering 8gb of ram for all the multitasking and win 7....overkill again?
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 3:22:45 AM

Hmm.. well if you wanted to really use your 1k budget what do you think of this?

An i5 is better than the Phenom you started with, and the big benefit here is that it has room to upgrade the ram and even add a second graphics card if you ever need it. (but you shouldnt need to)

Edit: I just noticed that it says 4gb ram max.. even though the motherboard has available slots.. *headdesk. Damn maybe you should just design it yourself lol. Your original build was pretty good, even if overpowered.

If I were editing your starting build I would edit it by getting a slightly cheaper processor like the Phenom II X4 955, and try to get a motherboard capable of crossfire, and maybe name-brand PSU (corsair 450w ideally) The other stuff is good.
Score
March 1, 2010 3:39:01 AM

Looks good. Very seriously considering going with it. Any reason to buy from Newegg instead of buying a cyberpower from the cyberpower webiste? Or is that a newegg built special or something? Also, I don't see the ports listed but it obviously has HDMI, would it have duallink dvi-d?
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 4:10:02 AM

Sorry i've been kind of all over the place on this post-- its your lack of a strong price point that's making it difficult for me to decide what to recommend.

Would you rather have a $600 computer that's pretty good, spend the whole $1000 for something more powerful than you really need?

In terms of dual monitor support you have two options-- one is find a card with two DVI output and the other is to use an adapter to connect two monitors to one port. The first is probably the better option, but most of these cheaper PCs have cards that have 1 dvi, 1 hdmi, and 1 displayport. (only a few have 2 dvi) (If one of your monitors can hook up with HDMI or use an adapter they would work fine.)
Score
March 1, 2010 12:47:07 PM

My 24" runs on HDMi now so that should work fine. I believe the 30" needs dvi-d dual link to hit full resolution.

I'll probably just spend the whole 1k on that one you listed unless you think of anything else? Is buying a cyberpower computer from newegg better than buying a computer straight from cyberpower?

Again, really appreciate the time you've spent with me on this.
Score
March 1, 2010 12:51:15 PM

Just read your edited post, didnt realize that it maxes out at 4gb. I would like the option of ugprading....hmm....back to the drawing board...lol. Alright, so my original post huh. 450w is enough power? Alright, hope to have something finalized by end of day...
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 1:47:51 PM

Hey again...
The models on newegg are typically a little cheaper--as they produced in bulk instead of custom. Also newegg shipping is like $24 vs $60 for cyberpower.

I looked at the cyberpower graphics card selector and they dont have an option to confirm the ports on specific cards either. Which is a big negative for customization.

I'll admit im a little confused by some of the graphic cards posted limitations of 2560 x 1600. I'm pretty certain that even the first computer I linked can run multi-monitor setups that are larger than that, but I guess ive never tried to run dual 30' monitors...

This option has dual ports and an eyefinity capable card:
More than you need, but good #s for the money.
Score
March 1, 2010 3:38:20 PM

Hmm just so many options. Will give this one some thought I guess. I like the extra ram. I guess the harddrive will be the bottleneck eh. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions, don't hesitate. Hope to get something by tonight or tomorrow.
Score
March 1, 2010 3:44:23 PM

On another thread, this system was suggested. What do you think?

"Well I am a little over budget because wanted to put a 955 and at least a 5850 in the build and with out the combos pushed it a little too far.

$1179.42 (With Canadian Prices) before rebates. (-30 in MIR's)

Cheapest Optical I could find $30

HAF 922 $109 Believe it or not it is cheaper then the Antec 300 Illusion if you factor in rebate

Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $60

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 $132

XFX HD-585A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5850

Earth Watts 650 $90

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) $123

AMD 955 Black $171

Win 7 $120

Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 4:58:55 PM

Did they build it on ibuypower? Most responses you get on Tom's will be from people that build themselves... If you built it yourself I think you could get this deal... but I didnt find anything priced that good when I was trying through the custom builder. The parts are just awesome.

A 5850 would be capable of running high end games on 4 monitors just fine (its really a beast) but it just didnt seem to fit in to the price/power range we were talking about.

Lol wait.. did you just call the 1tb hard drive a bottleneck? it has room to add another?
Score
March 1, 2010 5:51:25 PM

Hmmm I figured it was through the custom builder but I will double check. Maybe just parts. Damn. Heh, yeah, shows how little I know. I was told that one big harddrive sata would be the bottle neck of the computer.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 6:16:16 PM

Ah.. well the computer you posted above is one that could play today's most demanding games on the highest resolutions--so in that context-yea the hard drive might be the weak point. For a normal system its pretty good though.

I'm sure the 5770 would be good enough for graphics-- its a full $150 cheaper than the 5850. I say that you start your system with a single 5750 or 5770, and a motherboard that can handle another if you end up needing a card for each monitor (although im very sure you wont).
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 6:36:44 PM

This is the best i could do on ibuypower. It has two 5570 graphic cards-- just in case you are right that DVI-link wont work. If it does, this build would be capable of 6 monitors through eyefinity--because the 5570s are rated capable of 3 monitors each.

The downside is that the 5570s arent gaming graphic cards--so they are quite a bit less powerful. They do have all the modern technology though, and would be more than good enough for everything up to super realistic first person-shooters at that resolution.

010 Mage
Netbook / Notebook Bundle ( None )
Case ( NZXT Gamma Gaming Mid Tower Case - Black )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
Case Lighting ( None )
Processor ( [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 Quad-Core CPU )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD] )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5570 - 1GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards) )
Motherboard ( [CrossFire] ASUS M4A78T-E -- AMD 790GX CrossFire Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 2 PCI-E MB )
Power Supply ( 650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply - SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )
Meter Display ( None )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit )
Monitor ( None )
2nd Monitor ( None )
Speaker System ( None )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
Power Protection ( None )
Headset ( None )
MP3/MP4 Player ( None )
Video Camera ( None )
Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

$1,056.00

$1,056.00
Sub Total: $1,056.00
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 6:42:46 PM

When you go back to your other post dont tell them prices, and make certain to say its for poker only, and tell them the dvi-link issue-- that should help them give better assessments instead of just telling you its a bad deal.
(because this is maybe $200-250 over what the components would cost if you built it yourself)
Score
March 1, 2010 6:51:25 PM

Wow thanks alot for taking the time to do that for me. I had actually just posted what's below looking for feedback. You went with the better vid card and motherboard, I took more ram and a smaller harddrive. I will order one from ibuypower I think, getting really close to having all the specs down. Need to be sure it has DVI-D dual link as well....

Case Lighting ( None )
Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 - 1GB - Single Card )
Motherboard ( ASUS M4A77TD -- AMD 770 Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 1 PCI-E MB )
Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )
Meter Display ( None )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit )
Monitor ( None )
2nd Monitor ( None )
Speaker System ( None )
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 7:05:55 PM

This build looks a bit cheaper--thats a good development. If you want to cut further the Athlon X4 630 is cheaper yet and still decent.

If you are going for a single card I would take an ATI option though-- the "Eyefinity" software they have is a little better than Nividia's. I would also be inclined to take a more powerful card like a 5750 1gb just to be safe.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/w...

You probably dont need the liquid cooling option--thats mostly for people that overclock and gives you a risk of liquids leaking inside your case.

I wish they offered the 450w corsair psu-- you dont need anywhere near 650w.. I only picked it because it was the cheapest model by a trustable brand they offered.
Score
March 1, 2010 7:13:57 PM

I see. Alright, looks like I'm getting damn close. I think I may go with the one video card for now, assuming it has "dual link dvi-d". I'll power the 30" from that and run my 24" off HDMI until I get another 30". So I'll wait for some more feedback but I'll go with the system you configured, minus one vid card, smaller hard drive.
Score
March 1, 2010 7:19:39 PM

BUILD-IT-YOUR-SELF and save lots of cash
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 7:58:38 PM

Sounds good. Just make sure you get the 1 gb of ram version of the card if its running 2 monitors. Its not normally important, but for that kind of screen real-estate i think it will be.

I think thats a good plan--starting with the good motherboard and power supply gives you room to expand if you want to double the ram and/or the graphics card later (when you get your 3rd monitor) :D 
Score
March 1, 2010 10:03:15 PM

Haha. Hey man, I really really appreciate the time you spent helping me customize. I'll post my final configuration tonight and order it tomorrow!
Score
March 1, 2010 10:43:11 PM

So here is what I'm looking at. I phoned IBUYPOWER and the 5570 has the duallink dvi-i. So I should be in good shape. My only concern is that one vid card may not me enough for a 30" at 2560x1600 and a 24" at 1600x1200 but getting a second vid card put in is easy enough if I need to. So here is my (final? :)  ) custom system to order! Any last suggestions? Thanks again.

Gamer Mage D275 Netbook / Notebook Bundle ( None )
Case Lighting ( None )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5570 - 1GB - Single Card )
Motherboard ( [CrossFire] ASUS M4A78T-E -- AMD 790GX CrossFire Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 2 PCI-E MB )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Meter Display ( None )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2010 12:02:11 AM

Hey again,

-Feel free to pick a better looking case for a few dollars more if you care to it wont effect the rest of the build at all... that one is cheap, but kind of ugly. If you look them up on newegg.com you will see better pictures.

-I think starting with one card and adding another if you need it is a good strategy. It doesnt take a lot of graphic card power to run two screens, but depending on what you use the system for you might decide to add another. Another would be $84 right now-and prices will fall by next year.

It looks good to me. The quad core will be good for multitasking, and that very high quality power supply comes with a 5 year warranty--making the overall system a lot safer. (I have a corsair-- its almost silent and cool to the touch) Any concerns that people typically have about ibuypower as a brand should be neutralized by the fact that you picked custom, high quality parts.

When you get the system go over it very carefully to make certain you got what you ordered. Mistakes happen in any manufacturer, and you want to catch them early.

I would suggest a program like belarc advisor to check the exact computer information.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
March 2, 2010 12:44:30 AM

Alright, I'll make sure to follow up on your advice, and check it all out. I'm pretty excited for this machine now. Ordering the 30" tomorrow too! Once again, thanks all!
Score
March 2, 2010 12:45:08 AM

Best answer selected by Socratitties.
Score
November 7, 2010 10:32:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!