Best card I can use with this really old setup?

inval

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Currently, I have a pretty old computer setup and my graphics card (ATI All-In-Wonder x800) no longer works. I am going to buy another one just to get me by for now until I buy a whole new computer, but was wondering what the best card I can use is with the following:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500
Abit AV8 motherboard
1gig mem
480watt psu

inval

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Yea, I've seen some pretty good prices around, but I just didn't really know much about the compatibility or anything.

newegg usually has some good deals, thanks for the reply :)

4745454b

Titan
I wouldn't bother with the 5500, its junk. I've seen overclocked 5200s beating it. I would actually try to avoid anything from the FX line. They have problems running DX9 code. Been awhile since I've looked at available AGP cards. The 4650 is on that, probably your best bet.

You can actually get a HD4670 for AGP, but it's awfully pricey. A HD3650 will be roughly equivalent to your old card (maybe a little better?) and is $65. Since you're going to rebuild anyway, how much do you really want to spend on this? Are you certain it's the GPU that is dead, or could it be something else? As old as this is, you could have bad capacitors on the mobo or in the PSU; something to consider before throwing money at it.

Depending on which X800 you have, you might be [initially] happy with the IGP on a 785G or 790G AM3 board. You could build a new low-end but very upgradable system for $400, making $65-$85 spent on an interim video card (that may not actually work) seem pretty risky.

inval

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Well I'm pretty sure everything else is working fine still, I still use the same computer I just have an even older graphics card in it now (like a 9600 or so)

I had the ati all-in-wonder x800 xt just to verify :)

Yea I see what you mean about the low end system, I really just need something to get me by right now though so I was looking to throw in maybe 20-30 bucks for another x800 (which I have seen around), but I wanted to see what the better cards I could get are with my system. I'll check around on the ones you mentioned and go from there.

Thanks for the replies :)