Sign in with
Your question

Smarter to buy 1st or 2nd year of manufacturing process?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2010 7:12:13 AM

Simply put, I'm wondering if it's (generally) smarter to buy:

1st year of a new architecture for... it's new benefits + performance?

2nd year of the architecture for maybe... it's maturity and fine-tuning?

Or is it preference?

I'm a gamer, and I'm looking to build a new PC within the next year. (Kind of wondering if I should wait for new CPU's in 2011, or get an i7/i9) Any input is appreciated, Thanks
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2010 7:40:54 AM

Its pointless to wait in my view. They are always getting faster and better. If you need it now and see something you like, get it. If you don't like what you see now, then wait.
m
l
May 7, 2010 8:02:35 AM

Personally i like to wait... Like with the I7 920... they first released the c0 stepping models and they were ok and now they have released the 920 d0 stepping models and they are phenomenal...

Im in a similar position to you(Love gaming, Ocing etc)
And im planning to save all my money till i can get something that i know will be quick for a while..

Good luck and like FALCON says its just personal preference :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2010 8:18:01 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I think you're right in saying that I should just buy when I like something, but I just cant help but think there are sweet spots... anyways, I think I'll be getting the i9 later. The temps and speed of the new die will be pleasing =]

At least, that's how I feel now... may change by then.

In no rush to buy, and yes like you said, I'd rather have a fast computer than im comfortable playing anything I'd like for years... sure they may be overkill now, but not only do you get insane results right away, thats much less often I need to upgrade.

m
l
!