Sign in with
Your question

Need help selecting memory for the x58a-udr3 board - I'm Lost

Last response: in Memory
October 18, 2010 9:16:58 PM

Hi everyone at Tom's Hardware.

I looking to build a brand new computer. I have selected the X58a-UDR3 Gigabyte Motherboard and i950 Intel Processor.

Now comes the hard part for me is selecting the right memory for this board. I am at a complete loss and don't know where to start. I read alot of guides and even checked out the FAQ section posted here on the forums for RAM.

I am hoping a few people can give me some suggestions as I am planning primary to build this system for a gaming pc.

Here is the board:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

Here is the CPU:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...

I am hoping a few people can give me at least a few good suggestions for ram from this page at the site:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=24_311_3...

Any help is most appreciated as I am at a complete loss on what to select.

More about : selecting memory x58a udr3 board lost

a b } Memory
October 18, 2010 9:32:23 PM

First, you need to state your budget for RAM and your purpose for the build (gaming and/or other work)..
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 18, 2010 9:40:29 PM

First, the UD3R is not a good MOBO especially if used with SSD + multiple HDD {RAID}. Instead, I would recommend the ASUS P6X58D-E {the Corsairs reference below will also work with the P6X58D-E}.

Corsair {Tested} - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Benchmarks:

Good Luck!
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2010 10:51:13 PM

Emperus said:
First, you need to state your budget for RAM and your purpose for the build (gaming and/or other work)..

I hope this helps

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Wish to build and assemble within 1 month after proper research has been done & recommendations have been given.

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 to $2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:

This is what I would like to do on this system

Single Bootable System (Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition or Windows 7 Professional Edition)
Duel Bootable System (Windows 98 & Windows XP Professional)
Duel Bootable System (Linux Fedora & Windows XP Professional)
Duel Bootable System (Linux Fedora & Windows 7) - Considering buying Windows 7 at this time as Market seems to be changing
Internet Explorer Browsing
High End Graphic PC Gaming
Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Access, Excel
Outlook Express Email
Regular Email (Example: google, yahoo, etc)
Downloading/Uploading Streaming Video

Music Player
Computer Programming (Visual Basic, C++, Java, Perl, HTML/XHTML)
Viewing youtube videos
Flash player capable
MSN/AOL Messenger
Ventrilo
Games to be played on System: Counterstrike 1.5, Counterstrike Source, Bad Company 2, Any high graphic end first person shooter game that
comes out later in future. Would like to make certain that this system will be able to play any future games.
Antivirus/Firewall Capable (Use to use Nortons, It was a bottle neck on the system I have. Had to remove it)
Server Capabities (Later on would like to use this a server for home network or set up as a counterstrike server room for friends for online
play)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speaker, Operating System (Win 98, XP, Fedora)

PARTS REQUIRED:

CPU
Motheboard
Graphics Card
Memory
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Computer Case & Fans
Heat Sink
DVD/CD Burner
Floppy Disk (If possible - Yes I know its not used anymore but would hope for it)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.canadacomputers.com/ - Or any other website that has good prices to order from for Canadian dollar.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada, Ontario

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD

OVERCLOCKING: I would like to overclock the CPU and the memory.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Using a SyncMaster 931w with 2000:1 Dynamic contrast. Using windows XP Pro with the following settings at 1152 x 864

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Computer needs to be able to do multi-tasking with multiple windows open without freezing or clogging.
Ability to ALT TAB out quickly and access programs
Ability to quickly use Fast User Switching Mode on Windows XP
Computer Fans Need to be quiet (Friend has a computer and sounds like a vacuum cleaner/airplane combo when turned on - don't need this)
Low to moderate power consumption if possible
Something that will suit my needs and will continue on in future for quite sometime.
Any addition items that would prove to be useful please list them that should be considering when making a computer.
Ability to easily upgrade or replace parts as newer components hit the marketplace.

m
l
October 18, 2010 11:21:44 PM

jaquith said:
First, the UD3R is not a good MOBO especially if used with SSD + multiple HDD {RAID}.

I'm curious, why exactly the UD3R isn't a good motherboard for SSD and/or RAID?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 19, 2010 12:07:12 AM

Google {ud3r raid bsod} ; there's a hardware issue with the Gigabytes implementation of the Intel SATA controller.

When you Dual Boot into all of those OSes you may run in to "lost" memory 32bit->64bit->32bit etc if using > 4GB RAM {~3.5GB usable} and not to mention the additional hardware reserve loss from having multiple partitions. You are describing a mess of OSes. You might want to look into VMware. Windows 7 Pro x64 is the ideal OS for that MOBO & CPU.

The minim RAM in Tri Channel is 6GB, and the best possible RAM for the money is the Corsair's linked above.

Good Luck!
m
l
a b } Memory
October 19, 2010 12:23:50 AM

^+1...
m
l
October 19, 2010 12:43:58 AM

jaquith said:
Google {ud3r raid bsod} ; there's a hardware issue with the Gigabytes implementation of the Intel SATA controller.

When you Dual Boot into all of those OSes you may run in to "lost" memory 32bit->64bit->32bit etc if using > 4GB RAM {~3.5GB usable} and not to mention the additional hardware reserve loss from having multiple partitions. You are describing a mess of OSes. You might want to look into VMware. Windows 7 Pro x64 is the ideal OS for that MOBO & CPU.

The minim RAM in Tri Channel is 6GB, and the best possible RAM for the money is the Corsair's linked above.

Good Luck!

Ha funny thing is I googled what you told me to look for and sure enough I found your post:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-r...

YIKES!!!

I'm really glad you posted and added your 2 cents about the board.

I really want to build a system and from what I saw alot of people were choosing this board in the best intel gaming build section located here on tomshardware based on elrioch build:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296083-31-best-config...

If you go here you will to the original thread were everyone posted their builds you will see almost everyone choose the UDR3 board from what what I saw:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294020-31-bestconfigs...

I did do a lot of reviews on the board including looking at all the reviews on the UDR3 at www.newegg.com. Although alot of people had experienced alot of DOA's on arrival the majority of people voted it was a good board.

What really drew me in on this board was the fact it had IDE and floppy disk on it. You rarely find those now adays on a board. I really use floppy disks and find that a nice plus to have.

I'm just curious if this is such a bad board why has everyone chosen it in the top build forum section of tom's hardware?

Also I was thinking about the Asus P6X58D-E and P6X58D Preimum board as well as the Sabertooth x58 board.

What are the differences between the P6X58D-E and the P6X58D Preimum board? I couldn't even find anything that explained why one board sells for $230 and the other for close to $280 to $300.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 19, 2010 12:58:14 AM

P6X58D-E and P6X58D Preimum - It's all about the money.

I don't agree with many of those theoretical builds. Example a 60 GB SSD is stupid, you need at least a 128 GB. Also, GPU centric builds are only good for benchmarks and in the real world LACK other good longterm components. If you look at my configuration the top is now ~ $1,500-$1,600 so take the difference of an HD 5770 and replace the GPU; the base is good for a $2,400 system {GPU differences} otherwise a great gaming rig will be built off the last in my configurations {EVGA MOBO}.

As far as a floppy - MOST, maybe all, 1366 will not support Windows 98. nLite and USB Flash drives have all but eliminated the use of Floppy.

Good Luck!
m
l
October 19, 2010 3:54:18 AM

jaquith said:

Good Luck!

Thxs!
m
l
October 19, 2010 5:46:52 AM

jaquith said:

Good Luck!

I'm still new and learning about computers and I am reading the thread you posted here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/message.php?config=to...

and that you have informed the community that gigabyte has acknowledged there is a problem with the hardware on this board.

I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that I cannot use the board if configured for raid 0 or 1? Can you explain to me what's wrong with this board in really simple terms so I can be clear about the issue.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 19, 2010 2:41:09 PM

There are hundreds of similar posts about the problems with the UD3R with SSD + RAID 1/0; therefore this issue is not about me. It is a sad and disturbing problem. In my case I built 10 identical systems so there's no way it was a coincidence. In addition, this problem has been shown to also affect the GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0). For the price point again, the ASUS P6X58D-E is very good.

Also, if you read Tom's review you'll note that the ASUS P6X58D-E bad all of the better benchmarks, but costs ~$20 more therefore didn't win the approval - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-usb-3.0-sata-6-...

ASUS P6X58D-E
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-usb-3.0-sata-6-...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/08/2...

Keep in mind, there are better MOBOs, for gaming I really like the EVGA X58 3/4-WAY MOBOs, and if cost means nothing then the GA-X58A-UD9 (rev. 1.0).
m
l
October 19, 2010 5:15:40 PM

jaquith said:
There are hundreds of similar posts about the problems with the UD3R with SSD + RAID 1/0; therefore this issue is not about me. It is a sad and disturbing problem. In my case I built 10 identical systems so there's no way it was a coincidence. In addition, this problem has been shown to also affect the GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0). For the price point again, the ASUS P6X58D-E is very good.

Also, if you read Tom's review you'll note that the ASUS P6X58D-E bad all of the better benchmarks, but costs ~$20 more therefore didn't win the approval - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-usb-3.0-sata-6-...

ASUS P6X58D-E
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-usb-3.0-sata-6-...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/08/2...

Keep in mind, there are better MOBOs, for gaming I really like the EVGA X58 3/4-WAY MOBOs, and if cost means nothing then the GA-X58A-UD9 (rev. 1.0).

Thanks for all the help jaquith

I was really dead set for getting the x58a-UDR3 motherboard because of all the features that come loaded on it.

I do have some old IDE harddrives and alot programs I use to use on floppy disk which was kinda of a plus to me for that feature.

Despite the reviews I read on newegg with alot of the boards being DOA, and people having first time issues with the board I felt strongly it was still a good board. Especially for the price.

I'm disappointed that the board has issues with handling raid configurations. I just don't get that. The motherboard manual clearly states it supports SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10.

But funny thing is I did have the Asus P6X58D-E board in mind. After our talk I did do some more research on the them and already found the links you posted here :) 

Seems the board is pretty solid. My only concerns were 2 things with the P6X58D-E:

1) People stated the board is difficult to install in a standard case. Something about the board not aligning up properly. I was planning on buying a HAF 932 case.

2) Others stated that with the two PCI Express 16x slots there will be difficulties fitting multiple cards due to the spacing betweent them. I'm a bit worried about this as I want to run SLI configuration using 2x 460 or maybe 470's graphics cards.

3) Will the P6X58D-E allow me also to accomplish the goals I listed above?

Since you have the purchased the P6X58D-E and have worked on the board yourself are the above claims true? Any other concerns to worry about?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
October 19, 2010 5:48:00 PM

chrisbek said:
I was really dead set for getting the x58a-UDR3 motherboard because of all the features that come loaded on it.

I do have some old IDE harddrives and alot programs I use to use on floppy disk which was kinda of a plus to me for that feature.

Then get it, I don't post for commission.

chrisbek said:
Despite the reviews I read on newegg with alot of the boards being DOA, and people having first time issues with the board I felt strongly it was still a good board. Especially for the price.

You'll never find a 100% MOBO. ONLY look at the Verified Owner reviews.

chrisbek said:
I'm disappointed that the board has issues with handling raid configurations. I just don't get that. The motherboard manual clearly states it supports SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10.

I just loved the deconstruction 9/10 UD3R rigs! :love:  I kept (1) for a hackintosh; won't run SSD + RAID.

chrisbek said:
2 things with the P6X58D-E:

1) People stated the board is difficult to install in a standard case. Something about the board not aligning up properly. I was planning on buying a HAF 932 case.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard - the PCIe widths are ALL STANDARD. Image if they weren't NO CASE would work.

chrisbek said:
2) Others stated that with the two PCI Express 16x slots there will be difficulties fitting multiple cards due to the spacing betweent them. I'm a bit worried about this as I want to run SLI configuration using 2x 460 or maybe 470's graphics cards.

Must have been the SAME idiot. You can fit 3 GTX 480's.

chrisbek said:
3) Will the P6X58D-E allow me also to accomplish the goals I listed above?

You're SOL regarding the Floppy, so by that NO. Otherwise, you're fine.

chrisbek said:
Since you have the purchased the P6X58D-E and have worked on the board yourself are the above claims true? Any other concerns to worry about?

I use these MOBOs for pseudo Workstations, one - has a CF HD 5770. For gaming I ONLY use EVGA. The P6X58D-E is a solid MOBO and I have had no problems running them; 100% :)  Happy for my purposes: Office all with SSD 128 GB {Data + Apps} + HDD RAID 1 {Documents}.

Hope that helps!

m
l
!