New Core 2 Quad Q8300 many BSOD

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I got a new Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz Yesterday. My old CPU was an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz and it ran perfectly fine with my Asus P5Q SE2 motherboard. The CPU is on the motherboard's support list and it does post and loaded windows the first time but when i tried right clicking My Computer -> Properties it threw a BSOD. I tried formatting and reinstalling Windows 7 but the first time i got another BSOD. When I finally got Windows 7 installed it crashed again when i tried installing ATI drivers... Prime95 doesn't even run for 30sec before it says CRITICAL ERROR HARDWARE FAILURE DETECTED. The CPU is not overheating because its at 35C on idle and 45C on load before it crashes.. My Asus P5Q SE2 motherboard's bios is most recent version so it cant be that either. Now my question is could it be a defective CPU ?

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Yes i overclocked my Core 2 Duo E6550 to 2.7Ghz but i restored bios defaults and made sure everyhting is not overclocked before new CPU was installed. The core 2 quad Q8300 2.5Ghz was running @ 2.33Ghz for some weird reason, the first time i ran my PC. I just restored BIOS defaults and it went to 2.5Ghz. I had a computer technician at PC shop test my old CPU and everything ran fine, heck i even gave him my old Gigabyte G31 mobo to test the CPU on it and it also threw BSODs. The PC threw BSOD the first time I tried installing Windows 7 but the second time it installed. First time i played a video file it threw BSOD but second time video files played fine. When i play any form of game it hangs then throws BSOD and i have to restart. I managed to run 3DMark 2006 and 3DMark Vantage CPU tests but they seemed to skip frames.

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I went to my Asus P5Q SE2's bios -> reset to bios defaults before i had the new cpu installed and i am pretty sure the voltage is not the problem because when swapping with other CPUs (Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 and Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200) everything ran just fine. Its hard to believe that it could be memory related at all... unless Core 2 Quad Q8300 is not compatible with 2GB of Samsung DDR2 800Mhz Memory... I have a Gigabyte Odin 585watt PSU and an ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card, but it cant be those either.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I would suspect some kind of BIOS issue possibly the CPU BIOS. I have had those BSOD issues during installs before. I got one when I was trying to install XP Service Pack 1 edition on a WD Raptor. It was resolved when I slip streamed Service Pack 2 and made a new install disk. The second time was when I got caught out trying to install an OS off a DVD Drive that I had plugged on to a controller that would only deal with PATA HDD and not the dedicated controller on the board for Optical Drives. So I would think that somewhere somehow there is a piece of Hardware that is not configured or playing as it should do with other parts of the system. Windows try to use it and then has a tantrum when it doesnt respond as it should.

I have same motherboard with a Q8200 and never had a problem with it. It has got to be a bios setting did you physically take out battery on motherboard to reset it because resetting to default and reseting via the battery is different. This will force the motherboard to detect everything and adjust the right settings.

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
No, I did not install the CPU at all.. i don't work with my PC's insides at all, but i do know whats in it and how everything works. The technician who installed it probably reset CMOS I hope ... x.x It was just funny to me when i put the PC on the first time it said 2.33Ghz which was the clock my Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 was running at...

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I did at least three times a bios reset to defaults... x.x I called the place i bought it at and they sent a courier to come pick it up and it will be shipped to Intel where they will decide whether the cpu is defective or not... I really hope its a defective CPU and Intel replaces it x.x

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Its pretty rare that a CPU turns out to be the problem. I would think that its probably a corrupt BIOS on the Motherboard. Even though a Board says it is compliant with the processor there is often a BIOS upgrade that goes with the upgraded chip. If they technician has done a BIOS upgrade then it may not have worked properly. Or maybe he didnt do it at all thinking the board complied. When I upgraded from a Core 2 Dual to a Core 2 Quad I had to do the BIOS even though the spec sheet said the Board complied.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Too bad you didn't get to see much of the upgrade until the computer comes back from the shop. For all we know, it could have been software ir corrupt files.

Did you do a fresh install meaning complete format first? How much RAM was there?

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The memory voltage is 1.8v. Yes i tried installing Windows 7 but it threw a BSOD the first time but second time it managed to install. Yes i did a complete 100% clean install.

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I already said: Quote: "I went to my Asus P5Q SE2's bios -> reset to bios defaults before i had the new cpu installed and i am pretty sure the voltage is not the problem because when swapping with other CPUs (Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 and Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200) everything ran just fine. Its hard to believe that it could be memory related at all... unless Core 2 Quad Q8300 is not compatible with 2GB of Samsung DDR2 800Mhz Memory... I have a Gigabyte Odin 585watt PSU and an ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card, but it cant be those either."

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Like we already said. follow the basic troubleshooting steps, including replacing different components or breadboarding. Your PC isn't goign to fix itself. Being recalcitrant isn't going to help either.

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Samsung
Part Number: M3 78T2953EZ3-CF7
Manufacturer Suggested Voltage: 1.8v .. and it IS running at 1.8v and it IS NOT the memory i can assure you because we tried the CPU on my brother's PC and it did the same bloody thing and he uses Corsair memory.

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Asus P5Q SE2 Motherboard
Gigabyte Odin 585watt PSU
ATI Radeon 5770 Graphics Card
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
2GB Samsung DDR2 800Mhz Memory
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Try one stick of RAM at a time.

Did you check or inspect all the points and pins on the CPU and socket with a magnifying glass?

Did you check the temps in the BIOS?

If the apps you are using to measure temps are not "set" to the proper TJMAX, you will get get false readings.

acewolf21

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Tested CPU on a friend's motherboard and nothing changed, still got BSOD. Sent CPU back for RMA and hopefully Intel wont take too long to replace it.

Thanks all for advice.